Four games in - what's our best first XI...?

I think we can safely say it's job done so far in our four competitive games and we can now start the new league season with some renewed confidence.

However, it's also fair to say our defending against Motherwell was poor and we're still not scoring as many goals as our attacking play should merit.

With all this in mind, what would be your preferred starting XI going forward? Gilks over Fod? Clint ahead of Kiernan or Wilson? A 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1? Miller or MOH?

I like this look of the following XI as it stands for the Hamilton game. Offers us a good balance of creativity without being overly gung-ho. The fact Rossiter, Holt and Miller can't get into the team perhaps says a lot about our squad improvement over the summer. Add in another striker and defender and we're really in a good position. I've went for Hill over Wilson as I think his organisational skills would benefit Kiernan and the rest of the defence.

With a stiff test ahead of us on Saturday against Burnley, that will provide further evidence of who should be playing and where. Dyche's men beat us 1-0 this time last year so hopefully we can turn that around this time.

formation_1000x500_hamilton.jpg

Forrester has been awful for me, clumsy on the ball and his finishing has been shocking. He doesn't deserve to be in the lineup for Hamilton. I'd like to see Dodoo or Miller take his spot in the side. Dodoo looked good on the right of the front 3 against Stranraer, looked more comfortable then through the middle.

Got a feeling Wilson/Kiernan will be the partnership from the beginning, if they fault when Hill is on their heels to take their place. Hopefully they step up their game because of that factor.

Fods been fine all be it with hee haw to do this pre season, same with Gilks.

Halliday has done well further up, just needs to again, improve on finishing.

Just seeing that team and then listing what we have left in reserve, it's a great feeling indeed.

Well to be honest I just couldn't choose a strongest 11 at this stage which is obviously good and makes you wonder about the headaches the manager has over it. The Burnley match will give us an indication of where we stand defensively especially if we field Barton and Rossiter.

Any breakaways will have to go through them to even reach the defense and Barton in particular seems to have a talent for sort of ushering such breakways into non threatening zones which gives the defenders who may be out of position time to get back. Then his little sidekick Rossiter can jump and take the ball from them.

And that's largely what the few problems against Motherwell amounted to. They didn't play their way through us they simply had a fast runner who was racing into the space the advancing fullbacks were leaving open. That may be knocked on the head in future if we have Barton and Rossiter hanging back waiting for such events.

If it became the case that they actually had to play their way through us the likes of Motherwell would struggle even harder to get anywhere.

Edited by JFK-1

I like the look of that first eleven although I agree I think MW will go with DW and RK as the two at the back(hope he picks Hill but have a feeling he won't). I would give HF the benefit of the doubt as Miller won't play as much this season and Dodoo is yet to prove himself I feel to be put into our first home match to start.

With BM/LW on the left and HF/JT on the right we are lethal down the flanks.

AH and NK are both good box to box and we have JB as a holding midfielder. I would prefer CH at the back with RK however as i said I think he will plump for DW(gulp?). I would have to say Wes in goal as he has and is our first choice.

Of course we have Waggy up front and I would give him a free role through the middle.

I suspect with the exception of our dilemma in defence that is our strongest eleven and on paper looks a very attacking line up with a lot of quality going forward.

Edited by cooponthewing

The embarrassment of riches is perfectly demonstrated by the fact that no one is mentioning O'Halloran at all while we also still have Crooks to come into the equation and possibly another two as yet unknown signings.

Not got a clue Frankie , there are a few stick one , Wes , Lee , Barry and probably Nico and matin w but after that we do have serious options which considering the players last year can only be a good thing .

Last year you would have put players

I keep law , Shiels or Clark in the team at a push but this year the choices are far superior , the great thing is the style should stay the same .

P

A lot of the side seems to pick itself...although Warburton may have different ideas.

3 main decisions -

Centre halves - 2 from Kiernan, Wilson and Hill. I'd got for the latter 2 initially, partly based on Wilson looking good in our last game.

The third midfielder - one from Halliday, Rossiter (although he may be cover from Barton and we probably won't play with 2 defensive mids), Holt, Windass or Forrester. I'd go for Windass initially but this will probably rotate

The third forward - one from MOH, Forrester, Dodoo or Miller. Possibly a rotation again but I'd probably go for Forrester.

Barton has obviously been brought in to play and that's understandable but I hope Rossiter get's a fair crack of the whip.

The XI who started against Burnley last year also started a week later against Hibs. More options this year but I'd imagine the starting line-up this weekend will show us what MW is leaning towards.

I think you are pretty close.

I think the starting back 5 will be the same as last season, though I'm wondering if Hill will get a start vs Burnley. Personally I would send Kiernan back to League 2 and I thought Hill and Wilson together looked good albeit East Stirling were hardly the biggest test. I think Hill is there as back up in case of injury, suspension or loss of form or either of last season's duo can't hack it in the SPFL. I would also prefer Hodson at RB, no question that he is a better defender than Tavernier but again I think MW will stick with Tavernier if only because he would not be much use on the bench. (I discount him as a possible MF given what else we have available). Hodson gives you more options on the bench. He can play either side at FB and I suspect he could also do a job at CB if necessary.

I looks to me as if Halliday, Barton, Kranjcar will be our starting midfield although Rossiter was impressive in his half an hour vs Stranraer and he does play further forward than Barton. If he comes in to start would he take Halliday's place? More likely it's a choice between him and Barton, not an easy one; but Barton will surely get the nod to start. I don't think we can afford to have his wages sitting on the bench or in the stand.

There is a possibility that Kranjcar could be used as one of the front three, thus freeing up a space for Rossiter; but if so he would have to be given a free role. Then again wouldn't Mackay be better in a free role than tied to the LW? He is coming inside more and more anyway.

That still leaves Holt who has been unfortunate with injury at exactly the wrong time, Crooks who is in the same position and Windass who has looked very able and is a threat to score, not forgetting young Jordan Thompson. An abundance of riches indeed.

Up front Waghorn is a shoe in, personally I prefer him on the right but I think he will be our starting CF or main striker most of the time. Mackay will start on the left, though again I prefer him on the right. I like Forrester who has shown great skill on occasions and is also a threat to score. I would prefer him to O'Halloran who no one has mentioned. He is fast but his final ball is woeful. I don't think he will be a starter. I have a feeling that we've not seen the last of Miller as a starting striker but I would keep him for the last 30 mins when he can still be devastating coming off the left wing against tiring defences. I think Dodoo is his natural successor and his pace will frighten a lot of defences. I have a feeling that if he gets into the team he will be hard to dislodge but he may have to be content with a seat on the bench in the early games.

MW's team?

Fotheringham;

Tavernier; Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace;

Halliday, Barton, Kranjcar;

Waghorn, Miller, Mackay

BH's team

Fotheringham;

Hodson; Hill, Wilson, Wallace;

Halliday, Barton, Kranjcar;

Forrester, Waghorn, Mackay

Edited by BrahimHemdani

How hard is it to pick a first 11? When we need to change a game this season we are going to have an abundance of options. Such a good position to be in. Get the feeling that the guys on the bench will be hungry to get on and make an impact. Regardless who he starts against Hamilton, I doubt there will be many bears disappointed with the lineup. I'd defo start Hill ahead of Wilson for now