Starting 11

The only short term options that we brought in were Hill, Kranjcar and Barton. Hill was a free, early window and we knew we needed CB's. Kranjcar was always worth a punt given his quality and history. Barton has a 2 yr contract so you cant even say he was brought in just for this season. Garner has a 3 yr deal and all the rest are younger guys.

There is no doubt that MW expects(ed) to be challenging this season and he brought players in that he felt would assist in the challenge - if we are all being honest we all thought his acquisitions were excellent with the players he brought in and we thought we would be challenging. However, if we are also being honest with ourselves regarding Celtic, they had far more money to spend and always were going to do so. It isn't solely what we do in the marketplace that matters, especially when we are poor in comparison to them.

We've lost by more than 5-1 previously and come back all the stronger for it. At least we aren't Tims, that is enough solace in an otherwise horrible day.

no we didn't and we questioned most of them at the time

i'm still waiting for someone to tell me what barton is good at.

It's time someone brought up the elephant in the room.....

Much of the reason we have been as poor as we are is because of Barton. He is in the engine room but hasn't influenced ANY game he has been involved in.

Rossiter is, presently, a far better option and, indeed, so too is Halliday.

Playing Barton and Kranjcar today was a sure sign of a lost game for me. Kranjcar needs more time than he was ever going to be allowed and Barton isn't mobile enough.

I think we should go with Holt, Halliday and Forrester.

It's time someone brought up the elephant in the room.....

Much of the reason we have been as poor as we are is because of Barton. He is in the engine room but hasn't influenced ANY game he has been involved in.

Rossiter is, presently, a far better option and, indeed, so too is Halliday.

Playing Barton and Kranjcar today was a sure sign of a lost game for me. Kranjcar needs more time than he was ever going to be allowed and Barton isn't mobile enough.

Bang on re Barton Craig!. It's not working and the two main summer signings look ineffective in Kranjar and Barton. The only other realistic option to try is Holt and Rossiter when fit, with Halliday/Forrester. One other quick point is that MW started with Miller on the right. Why?? MOH is sitting on my he bench and is a flying machine. What did we spend 500k on him for??

I'm aware it seems that all I'm doing is picking fault today. To be fair for the first five games I have, for the most part kept my counsel. We are now five games in and I think it's fair to air what are obvious serious concerns now, especially after a 5-1 gubbing.

No more excuses are acceptable for me anyway. The honeymoon is over.

Edited by cooponthewing

no we didn't and we questioned most of them at the time

i'm still waiting for someone to tell me what barton is good at.

Slowing the game down, time after time! It's frustrating and I noticed Miller cracking up a few times today, and Garner/Windass. It's time for questions to be asked all round now.

I think we should go with Holt, Halliday and Forrester.

But we haven't had the chance to go with Holt as he has been injured. Massive loss to us.

I would be tempted to go with Rossiter rather than Halliday but either is fine by me. Forrester was unlucky not to get a start today.

Windass is absolute class.

Towards the end of last season we were shipping goals at an alarming rate. Falkirk, Raith & hibz all managed to put three past us on at least one occasion.

Above all else what we needed close season was two CB's better than what we had. What we got was a 38 year old and a whole load of squad players before we got Senderos which was a panic signing if ever I saw one.

Until we get things sorted out at the back we will struggle to make top six let alone top three or second place

Towards the end of last season we were shipping goals at an alarming rate. Falkirk, Raith & hibz all managed to put three past us on at least one occasion.

Above all else what we needed close season was two CB's better than what we had. What we got was a 38 year old and a whole load of squad players before we got Senderos which was a panic signing if ever I saw one.

Until we get things sorted out at the back we will struggle to make top six let alone top three or second place

As I said in another thread.... every single club struggled this season to strengthen defensively - even those with unlimited resources - Chelsea signing Luiz was a panic buy, and Conte admitted as much. Arsenal struggled to get any strength in - and these clubs have vastly superior resources than us. Celtic brought in Toure who is better than anything we have too - but they also have much better resources to pay significant wages. That said, I certainly, with hindsight, would have preferred we had spent those wages on Toure rather than Barton - Barton is looking like someone we simply didn't need - Rossiter and Halliday can do the job Barton is supposedly doing.

the season's now a write off because we have no CHs worthy of the name

if you can't keep a clean sheet you'll win nothing.

Rab, 100% with you on this. It is time the love - in with the management team ended.

There can be no excuse for ignoring our defensive frailties - we all saw them even last season. The defence should have been the priority during the 'window'.

We all knew this, but it obviously wasn't important in the grand plan A .

Now we reap the results of the failures of 'Plan A' .