If YOU were Mark Warburton

So it is ok to hate your country of birth and others that are more "indigenous" because your distant relative was born somewhere else and chose to move to your current country for a better life? Why not put your energy into celebrating yourself rather than what your family used to be? When those focus too hard on history and perceived hardships, they are truly losing focus on their current situation and improving things in the time that they should be enjoying.

Where did I say it's ok to hate the country of your birth? And 1st/2nd generation is hardly a distant relative is it? I think your tarring a lot of people with a Green Brigade style brush. I know a lot of Scots of Irish heritage that certainly don't hate Scotland. In face they love it here and are thankful for what Scotland has provided for their families.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

If you were Mark Warburton an Englishman coming to Scotland carrying out a job and were subject to vile hatred and sectarian chants would you empty your desk and go back to England?

A sad Orange B*stard was aimed at him at Cesspit Park.

If you were Mark Warburton and 'crazy Scots' were spreading on social media where you were staying in Aberdeen before a match would you put your jacket on and say that's it?

If you were Mark Warburton and on the morning of the match you found the team bus scrawled with references to 66 people who died at a game in 1971 being mocked would you say enough of this?

If you were Mark Warburton what would you think of Scottish society today?

I'm an Englishman who was brought to Scotland by my parents at 4 years of age and now wish they hadn't done so.

If I was Mark Warburton I'd stick to the task...but I'm not Mark Warburton. I fear we will lose him.

It`s a decent point to be fair. We`re only use to it because we`ve been brought up with it. My honest answer is I don`t know what I`d do. But I`d like to think I would not quit. I totally see where you`re coming from though. The abuse from the stands at Aberdeen yesterday when the FT whistle went was vile. Baldy H*n ect.

I don't mean to be arsey again but you don't understand why someone born here would want to have some kind of affinity with their parents Irish heritage? I would have thought that was quite a natural thing to do/feel? Maybe there are a lot Irish people want to stay in Scotland because of our own rich heritage, culture and geography and let's not forget substantially superior job prospects and educational opportunities. Ireland's a great country but let's not forget it's mainly rural. Opportunities and jobs for young people/adults are limited and that is why mass migration is still in evidence.

So where does that end? Most of them have no Irish parents or even Grandparents it's going back a lot further than that. And we're not talking about an affinity we're talking about a loyalty that goes over and above the nation they're born in. We didn't see the same thing during WWII when countless numbers of Americans of Italian descent went to war against Italy. This is a bizarre and to my mind sinister thing which in fact we're also beginning to see the same thing from the Muslim community.

They express a loyalty to Islam whatever the hell that is supposed to mean over and above any loyalty to this nation they were born and grew up in. It appears to translate into taking sides against this nation if this nation has any issue with Muslims anywhere in the world. Should I be doing that for Protestants anywhere in the world? Am I a very bad and disloyal Protestant because I don't?

Edited by JFK-1

I would assume him and Davie Weir had a long talk about life in Glasgow and what it would be at this moment and time, and how the reception would be. Whether it is opposition fans or media. The club can do something about the latter, and probably the former too. Sadly, we don't know what is being said behind the doors at Ibrox and Auchenhowie.

Edited by der Berliner

Where did I say it's ok to hate the country of your birth? And 1st/2nd generation is hardly a distant relative is it? I think your tarring a lot of people with a Green Brigade style brush. I know a lot of Scots of Irish heritage that certainly don't hate Scotland. In face they love it here and are thankful for what Scotland has provided for their families.

A lot of them do. It is not hard to look around Ceptic park and see what country they favour. Even if they do still have "feelings" for their twice-removed roots, then why continue to peddle another nationality? When they go to Europe, you won't see a Scottish flag, you'll see an Irish Republic one. I've spoke to many foreigners and they find it completely bamboozling.

It is through this nonsense that the rest of the hatred follows - it is a passed down psyche of segregation - even though you have lived in this country for generations, you are still different from them because your 1/16th Irish which apparently overrides your Scottish not to mention your British heritage.

Somehow we've managed to find ourselves on the margins of society and this drives the now mainstream view that Rangers are "fair game". The country as a whole has become split along political lines rather than the traditional prods v tims (which is still a large factor) but now Rangers are seen as a Unionist/British entity against a backdrop of growing anti-British sentiment (see SNP & Labour in the last 3 years for evidence). Furthermore, the insinuation is that we are xenophobic, racist and basically the footballing equivalent of Nigel Farage, the Tories and Darth Vader combined.

I firmly believe that we've missed a trick as a club and a support. We should be hailing from the roof tops about how diverse our support really is, we should be engaging with community groups in Govanhill, Castlemilk and beyond with large multicultural demographics and forcing the political class to take notice.

I stood on the club deck concourse at the Ross County game and saw Sikh, Chinese, Black, White and Eastern European fans either outside on Edmiston Drive or inside the stadium wearing scarves etc without a care in the world and certainly not deterred from the club by the attempts of some to paint us as intolerant xenophobes. By downplaying or keeping stoic about the positive side of our club and support we play right into the hands of the REAL intolerant groups shaping the debate.

I'm not sure why you would find the "love in" with Ireland strange? A lot of Scots of Irish heritage are 1st/2nd/3rd generation immigrants who, like most Irish migrants around the world, still have an affinity with their families country. I would be the same myself about Scotland if I was an immigrant. I don't have a truck with this tbh.

But it can be a bit strange.

I knew a Celtic fan who had a strong affinity to Ireland and antipathy to England (although some of that is understandable :))...

However, when asked to explain it, he said he liked Ireland, had travelled many times there, had family in there and ancestry there.

Sounds fair enough till you realise that he also has a bit of English ancestry, has lived in England for a couple of decades, has closer family living in England (brother and sister in law), has an English girlfriend, the vast majority of his friends are English as well as his business associates, and he earns all his money in England...

And yet, while he is a Scot, he feels a lot closer to Ireland. 'Tis strange.

But it can be a bit strange.

I knew a Celtic fan who had a strong affinity to Ireland and antipathy to England (although some of that is understandable :))...

However, when asked to explain it, he said he liked Ireland, had travelled many times there, had family in there and ancestry there.

Sounds fair enough till you realise that he also has a bit of English ancestry, has lived in England for a couple of decades, has closer family living in England (brother and sister in law), has an English girlfriend, the vast majority of his friends are English as well as his business associates, and he earns all his money in England...

And yet, while he is a Scot, he feels a lot closer to Ireland. 'Tis strange.

And that's one of the things that makes it all the more bizarre and even sinister to me. That's going beyond 'affinity' when someone will live in these countries and take the benefits of living in these countries then still express an 'antipathy' to these countries while holding a greater loyalty to another. Hell if anybody should have an antipathy towards England for any historical reasons it's Scotland yet we can watch Braveheart and not run off like raving lunatics hating the English.

And that's one of the things that makes it all the more bizarre and even sinister to me. That's going beyond 'affinity' when someone will live in these countries and take the benefits of living in these countries then still express an 'antipathy' to these countries while holding a greater loyalty to another. Hell if anybody should have an antipathy towards England for any historical reasons it's Scotland yet we can watch Braveheart and not run off like raving lunatics hating the English.

You would be surprised.