Senderos facing trial by television after Partick match

PHILIPPE Senderos is facing retrospective disciplinary action from the SFA for two separate incidents in the Rangers game against Partick Thistle at Ibrox on Saturday.

Senderos, who was making his first appearance since being sent off in the 5-1 defeat to Celtic last month, floored Chris Erskine with a forearm smash to his face during the first half.

The Swiss centre half then took out English striker Ade Azeez with an off the ball challenge in a Ladbrokes Premiership match which Mark Warburton’s side went on to win 2-0.

Referee Stephen Finnie, who later booked Senderos for a separate foul on Azeez, and his assistants failed to spot or punish either incident.

But SFA compliance officer Tony McGlennan may now decide to serve the 31-year-old defender, who moved to Glasgow after signing a one year deal in August, with a notice of complaint after viewing video footage of the match.

Azeez said: “I felt there were times I had got down the side of him and I felt like he was maybe trying to play mind games with me to rock me up a bit.

“I don’t mind that side of the game, but when it gets to the point where maybe it is a bit unfair and he is never looking at the ball well. The referee just dismissed it and I don’t think the fourth official saw it either.

“I felt I was in a position where I could take him on one v one and maybe got a cross or even a shot. I guess that’s why he has played at the top – he has used his experience.”

Of the booking which Senderos did get, Azeez said: “A professional foul and he just got a yellow for it. The referee said I was going away from goal and someone was maybe covering him. I don’t know who was covering it. Maybe it was a fair one.”

Senderos was red carded by Willie Collum in the Old Firm match last month for a deliberate hand ball in the second half of a game which his team lost 5-1 and received an automatic one match ban.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14777792.Rangers_defender_Senderos_facing_trial_by_television_after_Partick_match/?

Which yahoo journalist wrote this ? Totally one sided article typical of that rhag

How about the tackle on Halliday in the first half for which he'd to leave the field for treatment? Presume the ref didnt see it otherwise it would have been a straight red.

Only issue is the compliance officer is one of them who is selective in who he tries to punish

Edited by RANGERRAB

To be honest, this puts a slight smile on my face: finally we have a defender that is willing to get stuck in and battle with an opponent -- whether he's good enough or not is another question!

I have liked Garner's attitude too, despite it being too combative at times, but I was impressed by his tracking back; he made two quality tackles from what I remember. I like the tenacity.

Honestly ... this is turning into a witch hunt for our "star man" (Well, you know he played for some of the biggest on the planet). It actually beggars belief that the press guys tell the CO what he should look at. (Unless he has already checked this out, of course.) Of course, Senderos was booked for one of the "challenges", so the CO can't by default do anything about it. The rest is shyte stirring by the Thistle lad and the reporter.

But then again, heinous tackles on Halliday, the Curran on Hill thing ... you wonder where this might lead?! There is so much wrong this season that you don't know where to start.

Edited by der Berliner

I can't be 100% sure as I've not seen a replay yet (links anyone?) but surely the Halliday tackle needs relooked at? It looked like a ridiculous challenge that was totally unpunished, not even with a free kick hence it can only be assumed that the ref didn't seee it, so it is eligible for the "compliance officer" to revisit. Also, as above, why is the Clint Hill assault not being looked at?

Football is now full of "pansies" who know that if they run to the press they will get their 15 minutes of infamy it is no longer a "man's" game.

If any action is taken on compliance I should think that department should be handed film/video of every game in the leagues and made to pour over them .

There would be very few players left to keep games going due to suspensions.