International break

Just looked at Vogt's first team from that pumping against France (who had a fucking awesome side, to be fair). Better than the current one?

Scotland (4-3-3): Sullivan (Tottenham); Weir (Everton), G Caldwell (Newcastle), Dailly (West Ham), Crainey (Celtic); Cameron (Wolves; Gemmill , Everton, h-t), Lambert (Celtic), Matteo (Leeds); McCann (Rangers), Freedman (Crystal Palace; Holt , Norwich, h-t; McCnamara , Celtic, 74), Crawford (Dunfermline; Thompson , Dundee Utd, 65)

That's certainly a better defence that we have now. In midfield Lambert and McCann are easily better individuals than the current squad offer.

This can maybe get moved to footie chat if felt necessary.

I agree with Craig Walter Smith got the national team back on track and was the ideal manager. He would have continued that good work had the gers job not came about again. McLeish had a fantastic campaign and carried the baton. I think it was also unlucky Eck wanted to go back to club management as I think international management would suit him more as he is a good man motivator which is what you need at international level. There shouldn't be much coaching required at international level as they are the best of what a country can offer, it should be about square pegs square holes.

Just had a look at the Scotland squad. I couldn't barely recognise a players face if I met them in the last couple of years but it seems this squad is getting a bit stronger again. Its certainly nothing like as strong as we have had in the 80s and 90s but I would say its an improvement from Vogts, Burley and Levein. Those 3 had a few good individuals but the overall side was poor.

Looking at the squad below, we have 2 good keepers, its a shame McGregor's game has disappeared as adding him with Marshall and Gordon all at their best provided great competition.

The defence is still as weak as Ive ever seen it, the full backs are OK but the days of world class centre halfs are gone. It seemed to be the one position we could always produce a top player from when I started watching football. We were lucky with Miller, McLeish, Gough, Hendry, Weir etc. Hansen was supposed to be one of the best in Europe but only got 26 caps. And as per mentioned in the other thread about Rangers in the 80s Dundee Utd were a force and had Hegarty and Narey who nowadays would be in the squad. Id even take Colin Calderwood and Matt Elliott right now who were given a lot of games.

I am actually surprised at the decent options in midfield and going forward now. There seems to be a good blend. Its not top half of the Premier League but a mix between bottom half and top end of Championship. Morrison, Burke, McArthur and McKay would start for me with Snodgrass playing off Griffiths.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), Jack Hamilton (Hearts), David Marshall (Hull City).

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Blackburn Rovers), Grant Hanley (Newcastle United), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Callum Paterson (Hearts), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Kieran Tierney (Celtic), Lee Wallace (Rangers).

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Derby County), Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Oliver Burke (RB Leipzig), Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), John McGinn (Hibs), Barrie McKay (Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Hull City), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United), Robert Snodgrass (Hull City).

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven Naismith (Norwich City).

Strachan just can't stop with the jokes - "Darren Fletcher is an example for kids to follow". Yes, if turning into the invisible man every time you pull on a Scotland jersey is your main aim.

How that guy continues to gain caps totally defeats me.

Strachan just can't stop with the jokes - "Darren Fletcher is an example for kids to follow". Yes, if turning into the invisible man every time you pull on a Scotland jersey is your main aim.

How that guy continues to gain caps totally defeats me.

Yep. The guy is an honest professional and did well to come back from a bad illness but shouldn't be picked on the basis of reputation.

I'll be glad when the break is over. Maybe it is, now, after last night.

Still, on the plus side, we had the chance to watch the All Blacks destroy South Africa, in Durban, yesterday afternoon. Nine tries to none.

Article in the Daily Rebel today about Scotland players who were booed by their own fans. It mentions Black and Wallace and calls the booing inexplicable. Why can't they just be honest and say it's because they played for Rangers? Did the Thumb get booed? No. So the whole "he pulled out of the squad" argument goes out the window.

Edited by StuGers

Having only listened intermittently on radio and watched the highlights on tv, can anybody tell me if Darren Fletcher played ? I neither heard nor saw any sign of him. That's not a dig at him. I'm being honest.