International break

Even in the late 70's begin 80's we had good players.

The downgrade seemed to happen in the late 80's-90's

Id take any squad from the 90s right now. Goram, Leighton, Gough, Hendry, Lambert, McAllister, Ferguson, Burley, Collins, McCann, Hutchison, McCoist, Durie would all pick themselves right now.

The international break is quite boring although the draw for these qualifiers has a few good games. Italy v Spain and Holland v France in the same group is worth watching.

Brown

Hamilton and Caldow

Crerand, McNeil and Baxter

Scott, White, St John, Law and Wilson.

And every one of these could have been replaced by another just as good, except Baxter. We would just have had to make good with Dave McKay for him!

Couldn't tell you who's playing on Saturday.

Seen wee Davy the other day and he looks like he could put a strip on and still play the game , great wee winger

I believe that had Walter stayed he may well have qualified us for the next tournament. However, I am more than glad he left because he came back to us for a trophy laden 3 years.

Pretty harsh on McLeish who took over and ended his Scotland career with a 70% win record beating the French on their own patch. We also were excellent against Italy. Not sure Walter would've done much better

Pretty harsh on McLeish who took over and ended his Scotland career with a 70% win record beating the French on their own patch. We also were excellent against Italy. Not sure Walter would've done much better

Not being harsh on Big Eck at all tbh. I thought he did a fine job when he replaced Walter. However, I still maintain that Walter had a knack of just somehow getting that little bit more from players than many managers. It isn't a slight on Uncle Eck to say that I felt Walter would have got us to the finals.

I guess what I am getting at is that, at that level, certainly then, the margins for failure were very thin, which meant the smallest things made significant differences.

As I said, I think that Eck did a fine job when he took over from Walter - the foundations he received from Walter were excellent in that he inherited a squad that were well-drilled, organized, resolute and knew to a man what their jobs were. Eck continued that and did well. When you look at his successor and how poorly he did you can see that Eck, like Walter before him, had a very good understanding of the capabilities, and limitations, of the squads he had.

It certainly wasn't meant as any slight to Alex McLeish, I just feel that Walter was the best manager the national team had for a long time.

Not being harsh on Big Eck at all tbh. I thought he did a fine job when he replaced Walter. However, I still maintain that Walter had a knack of just somehow getting that little bit more from players than many managers. It isn't a slight on Uncle Eck to say that I felt Walter would have got us to the finals.

I guess what I am getting at is that, at that level, certainly then, the margins for failure were very thin, which meant the smallest things made significant differences.

As I said, I think that Eck did a fine job when he took over from Walter - the foundations he received from Walter were excellent in that he inherited a squad that were well-drilled, organized, resolute and knew to a man what their jobs were. Eck continued that and did well. When you look at his successor and how poorly he did you can see that Eck, like Walter before him, had a very good understanding of the capabilities, and limitations, of the squads he had.

It certainly wasn't meant as any slight to Alex McLeish, I just feel that Walter was the best manager the national team had for a long time.

I stopped supporting McLeish after the Craig Moore incident. Allowing a player to stick 2 fingers up at the club and then putting him straight in the team for a European game(IIRR) when he had just arrived back was for me the end of my support for him.

Just looked at Vogt's first team from that pumping against France (who had a fucking awesome side, to be fair). Better than the current one?

Scotland (4-3-3): Sullivan (Tottenham); Weir (Everton), G Caldwell (Newcastle), Dailly (West Ham), Crainey (Celtic); Cameron (Wolves; Gemmill , Everton, h-t), Lambert (Celtic), Matteo (Leeds); McCann (Rangers), Freedman (Crystal Palace; Holt , Norwich, h-t; McCnamara , Celtic, 74), Crawford (Dunfermline; Thompson , Dundee Utd, 65)

Just looked at Vogt's first team from that pumping against France (who had a fucking awesome side, to be fair). Better than the current one?

Scotland (4-3-3): Sullivan (Tottenham); Weir (Everton), G Caldwell (Newcastle), Dailly (West Ham), Crainey (Celtic); Cameron (Wolves; Gemmill , Everton, h-t), Lambert (Celtic), Matteo (Leeds); McCann (Rangers), Freedman (Crystal Palace; Holt , Norwich, h-t; McCnamara , Celtic, 74), Crawford (Dunfermline; Thompson , Dundee Utd, 65)

I played alongside Gary Holt at Killie Boys Club... Wasn't even one of our top 5 or 6 players.... had a great engine though. He was driven, but I am still fairly surprised he made it and ended up playing for Celtic - that said, Celtic were mince back then anyway :D