Time to right a few wrongs - Rangers v Celtic

Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000

Group match victory: €360,000

Group match draw: €120,000

And that's aside from gate money and other revenues which could top 2 million per home game.

Gate money and other revenues wouldn't top 2 million a game - that is 40 quid a head even with a full house - cant see it being that much.

We wouldn't make the group stages with this group of players - so we would more than likely only get one or two home games and I cant see them being sell-outs either.

You are making a VERY bold assumption that we would make the group stages.

We're talking about capacity crowds paying high prices for tickets at Ibrox for home games which is way more than enough to cover any expenses then probably around £10 million from making the group stages which I would feel confident of making since the prospect would encourage them to strengthen. Lat season King mentioned the Summer transfer dealing were dependent on whether or not we won the SC and got a dig at Europe.

And aside from that not being in Europe means at best a 4th spot league finish and that's just not acceptable to me and I would suspect to the club and most of it's fans too. Neither of them would be happy with it being suggested we should hope to miss out on a chance at £10 million. You appear concerned about having no chance in the league when right now we probably have no chance in the league and not making Europe this season wont improve that next season.

Right now we have zero chance of challenging for that league without the bonus of Euro money especially if they just keep right on raking in the Euro money. I find it strange that anyone thinks our prospects of winning the league could be improved by not getting this Euro money.

That's because we don't agree about the money. I don't understand where your figures come from, nor your confidence about us reaching the group stages to gain whatever it is there. (I'm sure it is not 10 million). Full houses are hardly guaranteed either. it would surely depend on the opposition and ticket pricing. Look, I want us to be back in Europe, I love travelling to European games and I love European nights at Ibrox. I also think it's important for our standing as a club to be heard as a name in Europe again, even in the diddy cup.

However, I just don't believe that the Europa league generates the income - far less the net income - that you seem to believe it does and nor do I think we as a club are anywhere near being able to play more - and more difficult games - than we are currently unable to cope with. I also would not be confident of qualifying but that'd be down to luck of the draw and is obviously not impossible, although I do think it unlikely.

I hope that you are right and it tuns out how you envisage but it just seems far-fetched. and based on fanciful figures, to me, sorry.

Edited by SteveC

Okay here we go. I think you were all watching a different game to me. We could not put 3 decent passes together. We kept trying the same wee triangles down the wing that ended in losing the ball or a dodgy pass back to . I actually didn't think Halliday was playing until about 30 minutes. Gilks played good, Hill played good and Miller worked his butt off. I actually think we played better in the 5-1 game where we dominated for parts but today we could not get a foot in the door. I can't believe anybody was happy with today it is one of the biggest shambles I have ever seen us playing. If Celtic had a bit of luck and Gilks did not play as well then it could have been more than 5-1. I don't get that we are nearer. In score maybe but not in performance we are light years away from them.

Gate money and other revenues wouldn't top 2 million a game - that is 40 quid a head even with a full house - cant see it being that much.

We wouldn't make the group stages with this group of players - so we would more than likely only get one or two home games and I cant see them being sell-outs either.

You are making a VERY bold assumption that we would make the group stages.

I think we could be almost guaranteed a full house for a return to Europe and I fully expect they would charge at least £40 a ticket given they're willing to charge more than that for an OF game. I'm not assuming a group stage qualification i'm hoping for it and suspecting the chance of it would encourage more investment in the squad than if there were no Euro football on offer.

We're never going to win this league without it while they keep raking it in. It's absolutely essential to catch up with them.

Okay here we go. I think you were all watching a different game to me. We could not put 3 decent passes together. We kept trying the same wee triangles down the wing that ended in losing the ball or a dodgy pass back to . I actually didn't think Halliday was playing until about 30 minutes. Gilks played good, Hill played good and Miller worked his butt off. I actually think we played better in the 5-1 game where we dominated for parts but today we could not get a foot in the door. I can't believe anybody was happy with today it is one of the biggest shambles I have ever seen us playing. If Celtic had a bit of luck and Gilks did not play as well then it could have been more than 5-1. I don't get that we are nearer. In score maybe but not in performance we are light years away from them.

I mostly agree Pete, I posted very similar to what you are saying.

That is the half-empty glass version (no pun intended) of the game, and many will agree. We stood tall in defence and that was that.

Nigh any team effort went into defending and not conceeding, with only Holt being a real meaningful attacking option. Tav was keeping tabs on Tierney, McKay was willing but never really got going, perhaps not least because of missing options, Miller was all over the place too. Windass was willing, but sure not up for such a stage and game. Once I saw the attacking line up I knew what was coming and hoped for the best. There was a clear lack of people able to keep the ball up the park, people willing to stay up front and having a go at their defence.

Given our defensive shape, it might have been ideal for O'Halloran and Dodoo. Both could have replaced Windass and McKay much much earlier, as they clearly did not click. So yes, there were points of lament ... and there are things we could, can and should improve straight away.

That is the half-empty glass version (no pun intended) of the game, and many will agree. We stood tall in defence and that was that.

Nigh any team effort went into defending and not conceeding, with only Holt being a real meaningful attacking option. Tav was keeping tabs on Tierney, McKay was willing but never really got going, perhaps not least because of missing options, Miller was all over the place too. Windass was willing, but sure not up for such a stage and game. Once I saw the attacking line up I knew what was coming and hoped for the best. There was a clear lack of people able to keep the ball up the park, people willing to stay up front and having a go at their defence.

Given our defensive shape, it might have been ideal for O'Halloran and Dodoo. Both could have replaced Windass and McKay much much earlier, as they clearly did not click. So yes, there were points of lament ... and there are things we could, can and should improve straight away.

Glass half empty it may be but anybody who had their glass half full from that had already guzzled about 10 glasses. As I say only the fact we only lost by one goal is about the only positive. The fact your goalkeeper is probably man of the match says almost everything.

Interesting.

As I said earlier, a true judgement on Warburton can come when he's finally had the chance to play Celtic at Ibrox.

For what it's worth, I thought that while clearly an inferior team and while not disagreeing with the end result, we gave Celtic a game today and it could quite conceivably have been us who sneaked a goal in the last minute. There were long spells today when it was genuinely end-to-end. Can you ever walk away from a 5-1 defeat and say you gave the opposition a game?

Thinking back to that game, some of the players showed the heart of a mouse, I'll call out Barton for starters. At least today we did pretty much all we could conceivably do with the quality (or lack thereof) at our disposal against a team with an obscene financial disparity in their playing squad. There was no lack of effort today.

I said before the game that Celtic v Rangers in 2016 is equatable to Celtic v Motherwell/St Johnstone/Hibs in 2006. That's just where we are. So all things considered, yes, Warburton has at least some justification in claiming we got closer to them today.

But we all know we're still a few years from where we all want to be. Or if you're a glass half full type, two or three transfer windows.

King needs to open his wallet and Warburton needs to up his game in the transfer market.

And just as importantly, these are the "days of failure" of which the great Bill Struth spoke, so let's show some "tolerance and sanity" and get right behind the team.

That's because we don't agree about the money. I don't understand where your figures come from

Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000

Group match victory: €360,000

Group match draw: €120,000

And as mentioned that's aside from gate receipts.

I love European nights at Ibrox

Everybody does and that's why it would be a sell out after years without it and if they charge 50 quid for a domestic match as in OF game they will not hesitate to charge top dollar for a return to Europe. And regarding an earlier suggestion that it interferes with pre season isn't that what the new league cup format does and what all the Euro contestants dodged and went straight into the last 16 of the league cup?

Has that done Aberdeen or Hearts any harm? Say two qualifying home games which if they were negotiated would then lead to three group home games for a total of 5 home games and that amounts to a pile of cash on top of the base fee and points bonuses. It's a no brainier when you consider not being in Europe gets us absolutely nothing.

Edited by JFK-1