Realistically where are we now

nah

we were never paying those players approaching a million pound a year or that era's equivalent

after an initial promising start we're getting served up garbage

the arguments about not beating celtc are fine

last night wasn't celtc it was st johnstone, at home

even the manager admits the fans were right to boo

this team has now been serving up stinking football going back 6 months.

You simply cannot compare where we are now against back then based on wages , the wages players are getting now is obscene IMHO, I was making the comparison based on the football and our competitors. Plus the football is decent , the end product maybe less so

i've read loads of times we were brilliant at aberdeen and then inverness

I agree I can't be watching the same game

I don't think we were, but we were far from playing "stinking football" and had these teams at our mercy, only failing to take our chances. And if you have teams that essentially solely sit deep and try to stop you playing while hitting you on the counter, you can do only do so much. Even the likes of Barca and Bayern don't look great against that, Germany scraped to a 2-0 victory at home against a dogged Northern Irish team, with only some individual class proving decisive. We do not have such a class in abundance right now, but we sure not play stinking football.

You simply cannot compare where we are now against back then based on wages , the wages players are getting now is obscene IMHO, I was making the comparison based on the football and our competitors. Plus the football is decent , the end product maybe less so

the football is safe, go nowhere passing, at walking pace that creates nothing except boredom

where has the spirited one touch stuff from last season gone?

the team don't even look fit

I don't think we were, but we were far from playing "stinking football" and had these teams at our mercy, only failing to take our chances. And if you have teams that essentially solely sit deep and try to stop you playing while hitting you on the counter, you can do only do so much. Even the likes of Barca and Bayern don't look great against that, Germany scraped to a 2-0 victory at home against a dogged Northern Irish team, with only some individual class proving decisive. We do not have such a class in abundance right now, but we sure not play stinking football.

you don't enhance the opposition's tactics by playing at walking pace and not putting bodies in the box.

I think we are playing against better and fitter teams tbh.

Their passing and ball control look better too. St Johnstone zipped that ball about the park last night with pace and their players were able to deal with it and distribute (often astray to be fair). If you're going to set your stall on a possession based footing then it's reasonable to expect the basics of ball control and passing to be a real strength.

While it's all very well saying we're 2 points off second place, I think that's more to do with the mediocrity of the league where often there is no club that can rise above the rest and put in a good run - like Burley's Hearts. We're lucky there and it shows our luck when two of our rivals are defeated, giving an unexpected opportunity, but we still don't take advantage.

The problem is that we seem to be of the same ilk as these clubs in that we drop far too many points to the other teams and so are in that position of scrapping away for what used to be third place for them behind the OF and now is for second behind Celtic.

At the moment we're no better than the top half teams who have far less of a wage budget, and that's not good enough. With equal managers we should be well ahead of them.

To look at it another way, there's a likelihood that we could be 12 points behind Celtic after 10 games - at that rate we could be 40 points behind by the end of the season - and yet their budget compared to ours, is similar to ours against the rest of the clubs. When you think about the days when we had top internationals, much smaller clubs with about a 20th of our budget were getting closer than that.

The usual gap is from the OF was about 30 odd points, so the best of the rest is a very low bar, and we're struggling to pass it.

If we had a similar budget, it would be difficult to criticise much, but that's not the case.

Rome wasn't built in a day due to it's seven hills so we have to be patient as we climb the hills and obstacles in our way.

You are correct,Rome wasnt built in a day.However,when it was being built im sure if you visited you would have

seen progress being made.We are no longer making any progress.Were stuck in a rut.Something has got to change soon or MW might not survive.