Realistically where are we now

I think we are playing against better and fitter teams tbh.

the football is safe, go nowhere passing, at walking pace that creates nothing except boredom

where has the spirited one touch stuff from last season gone?

the team don't even look fit

This is the most frustrating thing for me. I think this team is capable of more but something isn't clicking at the moment. Whether that is confidence or fitness, I don't know. All I do know is that where last season we'd work the ball from midfield to forwards by passing in short triangles at pace, with movement; now our midfielders hesitate when a pass is on and the chance is lost - usually this results in the ball going back to the defence and the attempted build up has to start from scratch again.

I think the main problem is not fitness of our team, but we're up against fitter players who are already better athletes than the second tier, and also a lot more skillful and with more savvy managers who know a tactic or two. There might not be an abundance or quality of cream in Scotland but it still rises to the top.

I think the biggest difference in tactics is that they know to press us hard as they know our game-plan won't change - they don't have to worry about the long ball and so can push plenty of players forward and stifle us playing out from the back. In the second tier they were content to sit back in numbers and wait for us to come and then try to weather the storm.

RBR, maybe I'm reading you wrong,

" We have no money , no retail deal , litigation coming out our ears , yet there is a growing clamour to change regime ,what happened to " if the play on the streets we will watch from the pavements " but obviously only if we were winning . ",

but season ticket sales would tend to dispute that part.

I agree with most of the rest though.

There was too high an expectation from our support. We looked at a post Delilah mank side who were playing poorly, and never let the horror shows at the start of their Euro campaign be forgotten - never has a side been so lucky, and thought that our own signings could maybe challenge them. I'd say, possibly. But only if it was Deliliahs squad we were playing against. Their new signings have undoubtably strengthened them and put new life into their serial failures. Our own newbies have upset what were doing the year before. Even taking into account a slight step up in quality of opposition our guys just don't seem to have the same skill with the ball at their feet as last years players did. Too many mistakes resulting in the ball being given away are going on. The team don't look settled.

I'm confident Brenda will fail. It's in his nature. We'll come good but money will have to be spent.

you don't enhance the opposition's tactics by playing at walking pace and not putting bodies in the box.

That must have been in the 2nd half ... as the highlights from the first were not showing any walking pace stuff ... I've seen enough games to know what you are talking about, but people do over-react somewhat.

The early eighties is the correct analogy reference the league.

We will be presented with opportunities, and we will squander most of them. Thirty-odd years past, we battled with St Mirren for fourth, this season it will be the other Saints. Killie on Saturday is a MUST win. If they beat us, they could go ahead in league position.

I think we have to persevere, keep passing it. In the early eighties, we sacrificed Davie Cooper for hard running,. hard tackling players, and duly suffered. In ten league games, we have conceded first in seven of them. Let's cut that out, it may be marginal but that is where we can fashion an edge.

And indeed the immortal Barca Bears who were hopeless in the league and given the run around by Hibs far less you know who on more than one occasion. Third in the league, out of the league cup in the sections and papped out the cup by the HiVs. And that was with a team full of internationals. I didn't miss a domestic game that season and some of them were far, far harder to take than last night.

Edited by SteveC

Boabie, season ticket money doesn't even cover our present wage bill .

I'm aware of that mate. I was trying to address the point you seemed to be making that our support only support if the team are winning.

We're 18 months into rebuilding an entire Club.

With the best will in the world progress will never ever be in a straight upward line.

As much as we think we have a sense of entitlement people need to realise we simply don't.

for the money we're spending we're perfectly entitled to be beating hamilton and st johnstone at home

or at the very least being entertained while trying.

for the money we're spending we're perfectly entitled to be beating hamilton and st johnstone at home

or at the very least being entertained while trying.

We've "spend" 3m on 23 new players, 22 of those have actually played these last 1,5 years. On average, we would have paid 136k each in transfer fees. The Scum have paid 500k more for their current start player. That's the task we are dealing with, whether our wage budget is higher than the opposition's or not. Similarly, these teams know exactly how they have to play better sides and are better at it than what we faced last season. No rocket since this. Likewise, given our changing starting line-ups (mostly due to injuries and lacking fitness), it is quite understandable that after 10 match days we are still finding our feet. It very much remains to be seen whether we can get our act together ... which essentially solely means: start converting chances. For we created enough to win each game we played (bar the Scum games).

Edited by der Berliner