Davie Provan: Mark Warburton's just trying to buy time with talk of rebuilding club

What I find interesting is that there almost appears to be an anti-Warburton crusade at the moment. We have become so used to the Scottish Media painting Rangers in a bad light (and there has been times when we have deserved it) but the target seems to have moved towards the manager. Perhaps the media are not getting the inside scoops that they used to and would therefore welcome a new man, who may be more pliable?

For what it's worth, I do think that Rangers had to be re-built from bottom to top. This should have happened when the demotion occurred, but it didn't and we have to accept that without any real investment/marketing income, the academy has to be properly developed, the signings that are made have to add value (both while they are playing for Rangers, and if we are looking to sell), which means that we are fairly limited in the pools that we can dip into (i.e. English Championship/Division One). One scout is not going to unearth the next Messi for example.

That's not to say that MW should be exempt from criticism. The team has not played well this season (Killie apart) and I thought his formations and personnel choices were naïve against Celtic on both occasions. However, we are seeing progress both off and hopefully going forward, on the park. I do think that second place should be non-negotiable, but if signs of progress are being made, I will trust that those in charge are moving every aspect of the club in the right direction.

See post - the Mhedia!

For every one of these articles slagging Rangers or anyone associated with us, does anyone else do an article slagging Celtic or even praising Rangers (apart from DJ)? Genuine question.

Seems like we are doing some things correctly, not least on the park and at the table. The annoyment levels are increasing quickly.

The problem is that the club more often than not does not stand up against this, so the only thing that can be done is do the talking on the pitch and deny these feckers any breathing space.

"Not good news for Warburton who should be regarded as a failure if Rangers don’t finish second this season.

At the moment he looks odds-against to pull it off."

Wait a minute. 11 games in and we currently sit in second place without having really kicked a ball yet.

And having played away to both of the top 2 from last season. Sure, we lost those games but one would hope we have better results against them in the return fixtures

It has to be embarrassing for him that they published this mindless rant little more than an hour after Kilmarnock had been demolished and Rangers were sitting in second place. Visions of Provan frantically texting trying to get them to halt it.

He got one thing right though, we haven't been playing as we should largely due to failing in front of goal given the dominance and abundance of chances we habitually create yet are still in second spot. Wonder if that suggests anything in the mind of Provan about what the table will look like when we start clicking consistently.

And how bad do the sheep need to be before they get the same level of criticism? Will Keith Jackson be tearing them to shreds for failing to get a minimum second spot since he claims they are the second best in Scotland?