Aberdeen hit out at SPFL over kick-off time for televised clash against Kilmarnock

'Dons can still finish second again'

Willie Miller, who played more than 550 games for the club in a trophy-laden 18-year career before a three-year spell as manager from 1992 to 1995, believes the Dons have suffered from inconsistent selection this season.

But he believes they still have a squad capable of overhauling Rangers and delivering a third straight runners-up spot.

"I thought [at the outset] that Aberdeen would have finished second this season, if you look at the strength in depth they have," he told BBC Scotland's Sunday Sportsound.

"That brings its own issues and can put it in the manager's mind that he might want to change his personnel, and Aberdeen haven't had a consistent selection this season.

Aberdeen in the Premiership under McInnes

2015-16:

2nd - W22 D5 L11 Pts: 71

2014-15:

2nd - W23 D6 L9 Pts: 75

2013-14:

3rd - W20 D8 L10 Pts: 68

"Although they are still playing well, losing at Ibrox - where they played well but were beaten - has had an adverse effect. That puts pressure on the players and the manager and how do they handle that pressure?

"They had an opportunity in midweek [against Motherwell] to close the gap but the floodlights went out.

"Then they go to Ross County - never an easy place to go - but when they lose like that after they have played well, when County are down to 10 men, it is a huge blow to confidence.

"It is going to take a big effort from everyone at Pittodrie to get back on track again. But I still think the squad they have got is capable of finishing second."

Edited by ian1964

"Although they are still playing well, losing at Ibrox - where they played well but were beaten - has had an adverse effect. That puts pressure on the players and the manager and how do they handle that pressure? "

Yes Willie, but "playing well" doesn't mean you deserved to win. Also, how about the game at Pittodrie where your team also "played well" but not as well as the side who lost the match ?

It's another, if your auntie had baws argument. Abersheep will raise their game against Rangers and maybe steal a couple of points but the simple fact is, now that Rangers are back in the top division, your mob will go back to scrapping for a Euro place.

I don't think Rangers played particularly well against them at Ibrox, we played far better and lost at Pittodrie. At Ibrox they pretty much matched us for possession and had 1 more shot at goal than we did and 1 more shot on target than we did. But it also has to be mentioned that as far as i'm concerned Aberdeen played about as good as they can get in both matches while particularly so in the Ibrox match we did not and still won the home match and were robbed in the away match.

We're getting better all the time now and hopefully will be even stronger after a good January window. Willie Miller is an Aberdeen legend and a former manager. He has to say these type of things no matter how inaccurate they may be. He knows very well that over the next few seasons Rangers will leave Aberdeen in our wake. Their days of starting a season expecting a minimum second place are destined to be a distant memory tucked away beside the Ferguson era.

We owe them a beating the next time we go up there and talking about revenge I would loved to have pulled the exuberant bunch at Ibrox in the cup rather than Motherwell. We owe them more than a beating. They're owed a complete humiliation and not for winning the cup.

Yetf NOBODY ever complains when WE are the ones that have enormous travel times for obscure kick off times.

I understand that everyone will concentrate on their own situation but that right there is all that is wrong with the Scottish game - look out for EVERYONE'S best interests, not just your own - and you may actually see change for the better.

The SPFL are fools, but we all already knew that.

Aberdeen are so hung up on Rangers that they don't realise that we could actually help them in dealing with some of these complaints - but they would rather Rangers-hate.

They are a club which has the most despicable fans - more so than Celtic IMHO.

Perhaps, if we supported their complaint, that might be a good place to start.

Well as was mentioned TV audiences decide what is the main event and when it comes to a Rangers match or an Aberdeen match Rangers are always going to be the main event. That's exactly the same down South too where the bigger clubs are always going to be the main TV event. I can understand Aberdeen not liking that but it is what it is and they are what they are.

And what they are is nothing in comparison to Rangers when it comes to TV. They used to know that but appear to have forgotten it recently. They're like a BBC 2 show tucked away at a late hour while Rangers are prime time BBC 1. They just need to relearn that.

I already conceded that "from the TV perspective the main event will be that with biggest audience potential and clearly this would be Rangers away; but that is not the issue here.

I don't think that if Rangers had the earlier KO it would affect the TV audience or the numbers of Rangers fans travelling to the game; but it certainly impacts the Aberdeen travelling support.

I get that most Rangers fans have no time for Aberdeen fans and vice versa; but this is about fairness not who did what to who 20 or 30 years ago.

Its just going to get uglier with Aberdeen. Its scary the hatred.

As for the kick off time v Killie, their fans dont take the train anyway and trains run from 6am.

The earliest train from Aberdeen to Kilmarnock on Sunday 19 Feb leaves at 09:44 and gets in at 14:52

09:44Aberdeen

11:24Dundee Bus This journey contains some legs by bus SCOTRAIL

01h 40

11:44Dundee

13:14Glasgow Queen Street Train SCOTRAIL

01h 30

13:14Glasgow Queen Street

14:12Glasgow Central Bus This journey contains some legs by bus n/a

00h 58

14:12Glasgow Central

14:52Kilmarnock Train SCOTRAIL

00h 40

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Perhaps, if we supported their complaint, that might be a good place to start.

Whilst I understand what you are saying... why should WE always have to be the ones to support others ? Why is it that we assist others and then have them piss on us and hate us !

The earliest train from Aberdeen to Kilmarnock on Sunday 19 Feb leaves at 09:44 and gets in at 14:52

09:44Aberdeen

11:24Dundee Bus This journey contains some legs by bus SCOTRAIL

01h 40

11:44Dundee

13:14Glasgow Queen Street Train SCOTRAIL

01h 30

13:14Glasgow Queen Street

14:12Glasgow Central Bus This journey contains some legs by bus n/a

00h 58

14:12Glasgow Central

14:52Kilmarnock Train SCOTRAIL

00h 40

Too much time on your hands haha. Sunday service still exists then. When I used to go to Ibrox from Aberdeen d be on the 7am train on a Saturday.