Thomas Buffel has revealed his intention to quit Rangers and ply his trade in a stronger league.

The 26-year-old is under contract at Ibrox through 2009, but is keen to move on, possibly as early as the summer.

Buffel, who was close to joining Hannover in January, will not feature for The Gers again this season after undergoing knee surgery.

"I have played more than 80 games for Rangers over the past two years and I have won the league and League Cup," Buffel said in the Daily Record.

"But I still have the ambition to play my football in a stronger league.

"I had the chance to play in the Bundesliga in January and I could have earned more money there than I do in Scotland.

"But I felt that I should not start out with a new club when I am not fully fit.

"Had the situation been different I might have moved although there was a real chance that Rangers might not have let me go."

Meanwhile, Buffel is disappointed with how things have gone for him since Walter Smith took over from Paul Le Guen.

He added: "Sometimes your career depends on details. I rated Paul Le Guen very highly.

"But when Walter Smith succeeded him, the train departed straight away."

Thomas Buffel has revealed his intention to quit Rangers and ply his trade in a stronger league.

You gotta love that. He's been pish in a weak league so what makes him think he'll be a success in a stronger league? GTF Buffel.

That'll be a shame. I think the guy has loads of talent, maybe not the right attitude to play at Rangers though. Maybe trying a smaller fish in a bigger pond wold be the right way to go for him, but I had really high hopes for Buffel. On teh right day he can win any match.

You gotta love that. He's been pish in a weak league so what makes him think he'll be a success in a stronger league? GTF Buffel.

Aye, i suppose that's one way of trying to sell yourself," The SPL is not a strong enough league for me", bullshit bye bye :flipa:

He has the talent, we've seen it in the past, but he's been rank for a while now.

If he showed a bit of fight/heart like Novo did when he was out of the team then id be more simpathetic but he hasn't.

Dont let your ass hit our door on the way out. ;)

Buffel cost us £2.3million and was played regularly enough since he signed. He's showed glimpses of good form and has contributed to some good wins. Occassionally he's suffered from being moved about too often within the formation but he does enjoy playing in a free role which indicates he should be able to play anywhere in the offensive positions.

Negatively and overall, he's injury prone, he's lazy, he's inconsistent, he's not physical enough and he doesn't do anywhere near enough to justify his wage and his reputation.

In a period of time where we have not won a thing for 2 years, I'd contend underperforming senior, international players like Buffel are one of the main reasons why our morale, our spirit and our trophy cupboard are so bereft of success.

"But when Walter Smith succeeded him, the train departed straight away."

What train?? Havent heard that term before, it must be Belgian.

Agree with juffery that he has bags of talent and i personally like him but he has suffered from playing out of position. We could be done with him in the last month when WS was playing the 4-5-1.