Well who's next

Thornton, of course, when challenged by the dressing room to

"Show us your medals"

could produce his Military Medal (the 'other ranks' Military Cross) won in WW2.

That would enhance, for that generation of players, any natural authority he had.

I can see only that he managed the side for 2 games, winning both. A great man, nonetheless.

I think there is only one exception in Rangers interim Managers? Both Durrant and Tommy McLean failed. Thornton took over in the interim between Whyte's sacking and Waddell's appointment, and won the interceding half dozen games. Of course, Thorton had considerable managerial experience with Partick Thistle.

Thornton, of course, when challenged by the dressing room to

"Show us your medals"

could produce his Military Medal (the 'other ranks' Military Cross) won in WW2.

That would enhance, for that generation of players, any natural authority he had.

I can see only that he managed the side for 2 games, winning both. A great man, nonetheless.

Is it unreasonable to expect Murty to be doing better than he currently is? We have seen footballers being chucked in at the deep end to manage clubs who have risen to the challenge. Murty is a coach with years of experience and he looks completely clueless.

I think it is unreasonable when you look at the criticism that Warburton has had when managing a team he's put together plus our expectations and reactions towards some of the much more experienced names who've been linked with the job. This is a guy who has been the coach of our U20s. I would expect more if he'd been involved with the first team week in, week out, but even so, you're talking about a group of players who have looked totally disinterested and shambolic for most of this season.

That said, the board are in a tricky position when it comes to the players - at what point do they come out and criticise that squad for under-performing? Or at least acknowledge it? Its a risky move that one..

Edited by ascender

Kenny MacDowall?

McCoist?

Murty maybe a decent, even better than decent, training ground coach, but perhaps falls short in leadership, that indefinable art.

Agreed. Murty is a good coach however he has no managerial attributes or presence. We are wandering somewhere in no mans land at the moment?

On a related sidenote, it didn't take Wolfsburg long to find their new man ...

Wolfsburg announce Andries Jonker as their new head coach

Dutchman Andries Jonker has left his job as director of Arsenal's youth academy to become the new head coach of Bundesliga strugglers Wolfsburg.

He replaces Frenchman Valerien Ismael, who left the club on Sunday after the 2-1 home defeat by Werder Bremen left them 14th in the table.

The 54-year-old Jonker has signed a deal with Wolfsburg which will see him remain as coach until 2018.

Sporting director Olaf Rebbe told the club's official website: "Andries Jonker knows VfL Wolfsburg well and maintained regular contact with the club even after his move to London.

"Both factors were vital in us achieving this top solution so quickly. He is an internationally experienced coach and an expert tactician, who provides the best possible requirements to get VfL back on track quickly and sustainably."

The 2008/09 Bundesliga champions decided to make a change after Ismael, a former defender with the club, won six games in 17 matches in charge having taken over from Dieter Hecking in October 2016.

Jonker, who was assistant to Felix Magath at Wolfsburg from 2012 to 2014, has also coached at Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Following Ismael's departure, Rebbe explained to the club website: "Having considered all the facts and circumstances, we came to the mutual conclusion that a parting of ways is the correct measure in order to get the team back onto a successful track.

" Our decision was not based solely on the most recent result of the game against Bremen, but rather based upon the impressions and results from recent weeks and months.

"We would like to thank Valerien Ismael for immediately agreeing to take charge of the team during a very difficult phase in October 2016 and making a massive effort to improve the situation. In spite of all of our very best efforts, we have not been successful in getting back on track sportingly."

Jonker was due to be presented at a press conference at 2pm (CET) on Monday.

Before leaving the Gunners Jonker told the Arsenal website: "I have had a wonderful three years at Arsenal. We have made significant progress and it has been great to be part of a club which puts such an emphasis on developing young players through its academy.

"I leave a great team of people who will continue to do a terrific job and I would like to thank everyone, including the board, chief executive Ivan Gazidis and Arsene Wenger for all the support.

"There are some top young players in the Arsenal academy. I look forward to seeing them progress their careers."

Gazidis added: "This is a great opportunity for Andries and we wish him every future success. Under Andries' guidance, we have made huge progress in our academy operations.

"Arsenal is known around the world for its development of young players and we are confident we will find the right person to continue to lead our progress."

http://www.football.co.uk/wolfsburg/wolfsburg-announce-andries-jonker-as-their-new-head-coach/8416012/#JgC1BEWEfu5RFL7u.97

When I left work on Friday, Martin Jol was the bookies' favourite. Since then, Barry Ferguson has been and gone. And now, the alarming news via FF that Alan Pardew is being talked to. The mere thought of him doing that weird dance on the touchline at Ibrox makes me want to kill.

i thought Pardew was a pal of The Fat Git (to the extent that he has friendships), and that that was a major reason that he got the Newcastle gig.

Am I wrong, or has the relationship cooled, following his departure from Tyneside?

I should wish no one with any connection whatsoever to that nasty, exploitative bastard anywhere near Ibrox.

i thought Pardew was a pal of The Fat Git (to the extent that he has friendships), and that that was a major reason that he got the Newcastle gig.

Am I wrong, or has the relationship cooled, following his departure from Tyneside?

I should wish no one with any connection whatsoever to that nasty, exploitative bastard anywhere near Ibrox.

The story down here - I heard it from people in London football circles (with quite a bit of detail re cars he was driving and other "big spender, big shot behaviour) as well as media and (therefore) internet gabble - was that The Fat Git had him by the short and curlies over debts:

http://www.talk-of-the-tyne.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=17259

Pardew denied all this:

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/04/alan-pardew-responds-to-gambling-debt-rumours-when-at-newcastle/

But as Christine Keeler (NB. Uilleam later out it was really Mandy Rice-Davies who made this remark) said (ask you grandparents, youngsters) "Well he would, wouldn't he?"

+++

I also note from cwoodloyal on FF, two weeks ago:

"I posted on another thread but think it might get lost so giving it a thread of its own.Alan Pardew's agent have (sic) contacted Rangers tonight putting himself forward for the managers job.From 2 cast iron sources."

Edited by SteveC