[FT] Celtic 1 - 1 Rangers (Hill 87)

After three defeats against Celtic this season already (and three games still to go in the repetitive structure of Scottish football), it's fair to say there's not many Rangers supporters looking forward to Sunday's derby.

As someone who just turned 40 recently, like many Rangers fans of such a vintage, I served my apprenticeship as a bear during more successful times. The late 80s and most of the 90s were the source of many comfortable wins against our greatest rivals and even in the noughties, you could approach most Old Firm matches with genuine confidence. Although we were downsizing, managers like McLeish and Smith knew the Scottish game inside out and it wasn't often you felt much trepidation in the run up to big games.

Recent times have been different - and much more difficult. Sure, our penance in the lower leagues meant a few years free from Old Firm derbies but with every passing promotion both sets of fans couldn't ignore the inevitability of the games returning. Celtic won the first in the League Cup just over two years ago but a victory last season for us in the Scottish Cup suggested the gap between the sides may not be as big as some people hoped (or feared). Unfortunately, our first full season back in the top division has shown that in actual fact there's a chasm - both on and off the park.

Not only are Celtic over 30 points ahead in the Premiership table but they have a better goal difference to the tune of 52 goals - scoring twice as often as us and conceding half as many. I don't quote these figures lightly so please let them sink in. Off the park, they have a Celtic supporting manager happy in his job and able to spend millions on new players with up to £40,000 per week on their wages. They also have an impressive board and supporters in positions of power throughout the country's infrastructure. Quite simply, a run of five seasons unopposed to the league title and European football means Celtic are miles ahead in every department and that's a realism every Rangers fan has to accept. They are the Establishment.

However, things can change.

If we go back to the late 1990s, we held the same bragging rights. 9IAR was complete, we had an exciting world class Dutch manager and a chairman who apparently controlled much of the sporting debate in Scotland. We had no debt, a fantastic stadium and Celtic on the back-foot. Yet, our dominance was turned over via the laying of foundations by Fergus McCann during our run of titles. A foundation that took five years to build and another ten to secure via genuine competition. Meanwhile our owner's arrogance and our own similar sense of entitlement showed a weakness ripe for exposure at just the right time. And, oh boy, were we exposed over recent years.

But football is football and it can be unpredictable. Last season we shocked Celtic and in the most recent game we certainly competed for long periods after taking an early, deserved lead. Indeed, although our form has been poor this term, we go into Sunday's match off the back of our biggest win in a long time and, despite a couple of suspensions, should have a squad keen to prove a point under the watching eye of an interesting new managerial (or coaching?) appointment. Pedro Caixinha may well be unknown in Scottish football but there's something about the Portuguese bull-fighter that encourages me. Logically he's a gamble, and an obvious one at that, but he may provide a capriciousness that could, just could, pay off. However, he'll need quality in the boardroom and budget to do so.

In that sense, it's arguably the right decision to allow Graeme Murty to take Sunday's game and give Caixinha more time to settle in before the litmus test of Old Firm matches. The former Scottish international hasn't fully persuaded the Rangers support of his qualities but the team have gradually improved under his guidance of late. Although not all of us may have agreed with his selections, he's tried to maintain a settled team and I think that was sensible after a manager who seemed to prefer a system but not know who to deploy within it.

As such, despite suspensions for Rob Kiernan and Joe Garner, I wouldn't expect many changes to our starting XI from the team that played against Hamilton last week. Danny Wilson seems the most likely replacement for Kiernan with Kenny Miller retained in attack - though Murty may be tempted to introduce the pace of an O'Halloran or the creative quirks of Forrester. One also does wonder if someone like Lee Hodson is brought in to deal with the threat of Scott Sinclair? No matter the side he picks, as always they'll need to be up for a battle and if the new manager is watching from the stands, one assumes he'll quickly note who he can rely on in the most demanding of situations.

Of course, in many ways, the result isn't all that important on Sunday. With the club about to undergo another managerial/coaching reboot and the playing squad likely to change dramatically for next season, I doubt we can take much from a win or loss. After all, as we seen in the 90s, turning around your opponents dominance doesn't occur overnight. It might not happen on Sunday or in the next game or even next season. But we have to believe it can happen.

It's that kind of belief and patience that Rangers fans must adopt if we're to become successful again. Winning our 55th title was never going to happen this season and as Celtic rapidly approach their sixth straight championship win the echoes of the 1990s are obvious. What lessons can we learn from that and are we prepared to put our pride aside for the greater good? In any event, Sunday's game is just another battle in a war that is really just beginning.

Probable team (4-3-3):

rfc_celtic.jpg

Edited by Frankie

Your selection is pretty much obvious Frankie however i do like the idea of Tavernier moving into midfield sacrificing Toral with Hodson slotting in at fullback.

Toral played well last outing but feel the game might just pass him by.

I'd also like to see Miller told he has the first 45mins so make the most of it with O'halloran taking over in the centre forward role second half.

He certainly has the pace to cause them problems should they chose a high line.

We must play Hyndman in the forward role as this is where he is most effective and have Holt holding with Tavernier being Tavernier roaming all over the place.

Smashing preview Frankie!

I have to say I'm glad I'm not going there this time. The last experience was fu****g awful!! My old mum lives about 20 min walk from Shame fc. I walked to game with my scarf up my jacket through "thousands" of them!. I swear they can smell it off you! Then to endure the on field capitulation was the last straw. Horrible place the piggery!

I hope we go with Tav in midfield however if it's Murtys last game you can understand him staying loyal to those he has picked before. I have genuinely no idea how we counter their pace? I know the semi was only 1-0 but in truth it could have been much more.

Edited by cooponthewing

Theres no way it would happen but we should have trained something completely different this week, something that Celtic would have not been prepared for and hopefully therefore, test their players ability to adapt and react. I'm probably mad, but why not try a 3-6-1.

When not in possession, its a 5-4-1 as the 2 wingbacks will sit and defend. It gives a strong defensive base, with the ability to flood the midfield and strangle the game and hopefully slow down the ball forward from them, the wing backs then give the ability to hit them on the counter. 3 central defenders means one can sweep up through balls to their pacy players who will try and run in behind. One sitting. midfielder, two central midfielders and an attacking midfielder to support the lone striker.

It definitely wouldn't be pretty, but it would get the Celtic fans on their teams back as they'll be expecting a whipping and then hopefully the players could take advantage of that

Edited by lenny3k

I think we tried a version of that in the last game at Ibrox and although the final result was tight enough, Celtic were able to cut through us at will in the second half.

Perhaps that was down to the fact we basically had McKay as our left wing back and Tav struggling positionally (as opposed to the injured Wallace and not using Hodson) but I'm not so sure a big change in system would help us though I'd definitely consider Hodson at right back and Tav central midfield to try and add a bit more security.

Edited by Frankie

Foderingham

Hodson - Hill - Wilson - Wallace

Tavernier - Toral

McKay - Hyndman - Miller

Waghorn

Essentially a 5-man midfield with enough options to move forward once we have the ball. Either Hodson or Tavernier need to stay back though, to shore up the defence. Forrester, O'Halloran and possibly Dodoo for later. But I bet we'll see the same line-up as last week, with probably Halliday instead of Holt.

Edited by der Berliner