Transitions, Transitions, Transitions!

The game (and opposition) came at a good time for Pedro, who's impact on the squad was in his own words not that great yet. Now he's got a few weeks to work with the players and we will have to wait and see whether we will indeed have a Plan A, B, C et al - given the opposition and where we play.

An excellent bit of writing - many thanks!

I said to Ian1964 and johnnyk at the time on Saturday how compact we were to enable Wallace and Tavernier to get into the space created by having McKay and Hyndman play further inside. I was worried that would make things too tight centrally - especially with Accies parking the bus - but the movement of the afore-mentioned along with Miller and Waghorn meant we always had options and, more often than not, we utilised them well.

In many ways though, as you touch on, it was our defensive work that won us the game. Basically as soon as we lost the ball, we pressed Accies high and hard where they often had no option but to play the long ball up to Crawford or Imrie who had no chance up against Hill or Wilson. This allowed us to counter quickly and completely dominate the game.

Ironically, although the system was different to what Warburton preferred, it was similar in how it worked for large parts last season as well as in the odd game this term. The issue came when we had no alternative to teams matching our hard work, didn't perform the press high enough and/or didn't get forward quickly and efficiently. It remains to be seen whether or not the new manager can address that conundrum going forward.

Motherwell will actually be a good test of this a week on Saturday as despite losing on Saturday they've been playing a bit better lately and are stronger at full-back than Accies were. I'd expect a tougher game and that will give us a good idea of how flexible Caixinha is.

Edited by Frankie

........... Defensively, the double pivot created a box-like formation at the back

This reminds me of the defensive style of the famous New Jersey Devils of the 90's under coach Jacques Lemaire (French Canadian played for the Montreal Canadiens 1967-79 & won 8 Stanley Cups - & he was a goal scoring winger)

Lemaire applied a 4 man box formation that 'pivoted' like a synchronised swimming team in perfect unison. It was a style unloved by many, but very effect (completely stifled any fast flowing attack) it was like a sponge. They won 3 Stanley cups between 95 & 03.

I've always thought Hockey was just fitba' played @ 90 mph ..........

Edited by Blinkyman

This reminds me of the defensive style of the famous New Jersey Devils of the 90's under coach Jacques Lemaire (French Canadian played for the Montreal Canadiens 1967-79 & won 8 Stanley Cups - & he was a goal scoring winger)

Lemaire applied a 4 man box formation that 'pivoted' like a synchronised swimming team in perfect unison. It was a style unloved by many, but very effect (completely stifled any fast flowing attack) it was like a sponge. They won 3 Stanley cups between 95 & 03.

I've always thought Hockey was just fitba' played @ 90 mph ..........

Well, my friend, I have seen, unfortunately, far too many goons in a Blue jersey.

This is where player recruitment will become so important , I would much rather PC goes for players he knows can play his system than marquee signings to impress the fan base

Regretfully bud some of us are old enough to remember the Dundee Utd team under Jim Mclean which achieved unprecedented success for their club. They played to a system, and whilst there was some great players among them, some of those on the fringes could be described as average - yet what made them formidable was their ability to fit into that system.

Regretfully bud some of us are old enough to remember the Dundee Utd team under Jim Mclean which achieved unprecedented success for their club. They played to a system' date=' and whilst there was some great players among them, some of those on the fringes could be described as average - yet what made them formidable was their ability to fit into that system.[/quote']

I remember that team , they were awesome to watch , I remember a wee guy called graham Payne and Ralph Milne , plus stir rock was a tremendous player

Regretfully bud some of us are old enough to remember the Dundee Utd team under Jim Mclean which achieved unprecedented success for their club. They played to a system' date=' and whilst there was some great players among them, some of those on the fringes could be described as average - yet what made them formidable was their ability to fit into that system.[/quote']

whilst i agree about the system and playing to it

that Dundee United team was full of internationals and at time when there was real competition to get in the scotland squad

the back four

malpass narey hegarty Gough

that is international class