The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

Garner had plenty of opportunity to add bite to our attack and didn't. He's not strong enough to be a target man, and he's not quick enough to run the channels. Based on that, I have no idea where he could add value to a fast counter attacking team. I wish him the best, but I will be not be sad to see him go.

My point is that he was not used properly, as he sure is not useful as a target man in a 4-3-3, where the next attacker is usually 5 to 10 metres away from him. Which I wrote. What he did add to our attack was being there where it hurts, getting into the opposition and tying up one or two defenders and thus opening spaces for others. You can take any other of our strikers and hardy any of them did likewise. They were usually running all over the place but hardly where it hurts the opposition, and were passing on the respsonsibility of shooting to every other guy than himself. IMHO, only Garner and Miller worked well together on occasion. I for one would have liked to see Garner and Herrera, with Morelos and Hardie waiting in the wings.

As for McKay, in response to an earlier reply, he will sure become a better player with better players about him. And I'd love it if he stays and becomes a Rangers great. Yet, this season he did blew hot and cold too often, but retained his starting slot no matter what ... well, up until PC came in and "rested" him a little. Likewise, he took up far more responsibility last season when it comes to shooting, yet this season was infected by that same bug which plagued our whole front line. Passing the ball "to death".

Anyone know how much we have spent in money terms on the new recruits

Well, the media were throwing numbers about, but officially nothing has apparently been said:

Rangers

In: Fabio Cardoso (Vitoria Setubal, undisclosed fee); Bruno Alves (Cagliari, free); Ryan Jack (Aberdeen, free); Dalcio (Benfica, loan); Daniel Candeias (undisclosed fee)

Out: Philippe Senderos (released); Clint Hill (released)

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/15338801.DONE_DEALS__All_the_Scottish_Premiership_ins_and_outs_so_far_this_summer/

We wasted much of his ability throughout the season while playing 4-3-3, but MW's "darlings" McKay and Waghorn could not be dispossessed despite not reaping producing enough goods. IMHO, Garner, Dodoo and Forrester, as well as MOH were VERY under-used throughout the season. Garner needed another striker about him to work with and PC actually stated that he'd change our attacking style to get the best out of him. That should tell us a few things - if we go by the much lauded tactical approach of PC?!

Garner would sure have added some more bite to our attack next season and you would have to hope that a) Herrera and Morelos will click from the off and, first and foremost b) we get their work permits and visas before the 19th. Else we end up with Miller, Waghorn and Dodoo as our prime attackers for the EL first quali round.

garner was abolute toilet

I am sure I read somewhere that McKay was about to sign a new contract. I am not sure where I read it though.

If we're trying to get Walker now, then I'd fancy McKay will be sold. One or the other for next season - not both I reckon.

garner was abolute toilet

Whatever you say ...

toilet (n.)

1530s, earliest in English in an obsolete sense "cover or bag for clothes," from Middle French toilette "a cloth; a bag for clothes," diminutive of toile "cloth, net" (see toil (n.2)). Toilet acquired an association with upper class dressing by 18c., through the specific sense "a fine cloth cover on the dressing table for the articles spread upon it;" thence "the articles, collectively, used in dressing" (mirror, bottles, brushes, combs, etc.). Subsequent sense evolution in English (mostly following French uses) is to "act or process of dressing," especially the dressing and powdering of the hair (1680s); then "a dressing room" (1819), especially one with a lavatory attached; then "lavatory or porcelain plumbing fixture" (1895), an American euphemistic use.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=toilet

I'd like to get Walker, but not instead of McKay; McKay is better.

McKay is younger but I'd agree is perhaps a bit further forward as player given his exposure to playing for a top club.

Unfortunately, new contract or not, he's unlikely to be staying much longer if he continues to show up as well as he has done in the last year or two.

Jamie Walker is a left winger. We utilized a right-footed Barrie McKay on the left wing, not least in a 4-3-3, but he's more a left-sided attacker/playmaker than a real winger.

BTW, Dodoo is a left winger by trade too, but perhaps we put him more centrally this season?