Joey Barton banned from football for 18 months

I have absolutely no sympathy for him....he knew fine well what he was doing & that it was against the rules.

As he points out, he has placed many bets over the years, with the vast majority being on other sports - so why go against the rules and place ANY bets on football.

I read the statement very much as "I broke the rules, but it's not my fault"

I think it's draconian given that there is no suggestion of match fixing but at the same time how difficult is it to get a wife or girlfriends name on an account to have a bet? In a way he deserves the punishment for the sheer stupidity rather than the act. Ironically I think I remember it being the case that some mhank working in a bookies was supposed to have originally reported him in Scotland.

That's even dumber than Barton. They were making a tidy profit out of him.

What I fail to grasp with these jokers is why they have to wager on football, at all, there being immense, almost unlimited, scope for betting elsewhere, on almost any field of endeavour, human, and animal, world wide, on course, off course, on line, off line; unless they are, despite all protestations to the contrary, at the madam.

I have absolutely no sympathy for him....he knew fine well what he was doing & that it was against the rules.

As he points out, he has placed many bets over the years, with the vast majority being on other sports - so why go against the rules and place ANY bets on football.

apparently gambling is like being an alki and in that case it's a mental health problem rather than a physical dependency. As has been pointed out, football authorities are only to happy to surround fans with gambling adds. In my view gambling adds should be banned everywhere. So I do have some sympathy with Barton and I think forcing him out of the game is draconian. Seems incomprehensible that he didn't set up accounts in the name of some relative (neither did Ian Black) but there you go....you can be good at football but be deficient in smarts as we have seen numerous times.

In his statement he says he was never involved in games where he had a bet on his own team, the first 3 listed he was involved. Or am I reading this wrongly?

He goes off on a diatribe against betting in general and the FA acting against betting. The FA are not interested if a player bets on the Grand National, Wimbledon etc. As has been said guy is a cretin who we are well shot off.

He's got a reputation for playing the victim card...