Rangers v Aberdeen Match Preview

Considering I was the original match preview author (although the bar has been raised since I stopped) and nobody has taken this one up I thought since I am off for the day I'd kill some time before hitting the beach bars for a few lunchtime birthday cocktails.

This match certainly has an end of season feel to it and Im guessing a lot of bears like myself are actually looking forward to the final whistle of the final game - for various reasons that we want to address the squad for next season and reflect on our first top flight campaign on what was a 5 year journey through the divisions. I dont think the last 4 previous campaigns has been considered too much and a lot of focus has been put on our budget compared to other clubs - yet a new squad was assembled and not use to playing this level in August last year and every opponent we play raise their game because the only show in town is facing them.

As such it means our season has fizzled out a bit and we have cemented 3rd. Going back to the start of the season there was opinions coming from all angles as to where we should be finishing. An exceptional semi final performance against Celtic 13 months ago had some believing a total push could be done others thought mid table while realistic posters like myself said top 3. And thats what we have which has brought my aim of European football - probably plenty will be discussed in a few weeks of the importance of that - so thats for another day.

The season has been unexpected - which maybe should have been expected - with the managerial change we didnt envisage at the start of the season and now we have Pedro who talks wonderfully but a few are raising the concern as to if the players know what he wants. I myself had a knee jerk reaction during the league OF game recently questioning if the manager was capable of learning from mistakes. But I am still happy to give him time and the summer transfer window will be important.

Our last home game of the season see's the side who have finished 2nd come to Ibrox. A team whose fans can be as hostile as it gets for a domestic game and coming from the city I have learned a few times the hard way. But over the 3 games we have played Aberdeen this season I think we have clearly been the better side with only the second half in the most recent 0-3 victory being when they have outplayed us yet we managed to run away with 3 goals in that half.

There has been a bit of spice added to the fixture with the managers throwing comments at each other and Rangers being linked with one of Aberdeens supposed better performers Ryan Jack who wont be fit for the match. The main aim should be for the fans to give our team a good send off for the summer and for them to return the favour with 3 points and keeping Aberdeens winless streak at Ibrox to 26 years.

Our injury list consists of defenders Rob Kiernan, Philippe Senderos, Danny Wilson, Lee Wallace plus midfielders Jordan Rossiter and Niko Kranjcar.

Therefore we may see a starting line up of:

Foderingham

Tavernier Hill Bates Beerman

Holt Halliday

Waghorn Miller McKay

Garner

Would I start with that team? Probably not, Id be looking for Joe Dodoo to start and possibly Josh Windass in place of Garner and McKay - which Pedro may very well do. Lets see.

Edited by Gribz

Thanks for that bud and Happy birthday!!

I suspect the manager may opt for the same starting XI as against Hearts but apparently he was very unhappy with Windass so may well replace him.

I'm expecting a tough match - our midfield is very poor when pressed and although the return of Toral does give us some composure on the ball, I think Aberdeen will look to make the most of a lightweight unit. However, if Tav and Hodson at full back can keep McGinn and Hayes quiet then that should help us.

Edited by Frankie

Considering I was the original match preview author (although the bar has been raised since I stopped) and nobody has taken this one up I thought since I am off for the day I'd kill some time before hitting the beach bars for a few lunchtime birthday cocktails.

This match certainly has an end of season feel to it and Im guessing a lot of bears like myself are actually looking forward to the final whistle of the final game - for various reasons that we want to address the squad for next season and reflect on our first top flight campaign on what was a 5 year journey through the divisions. I dont think the last 4 previous campaigns has been considered too much and a lot of focus has been put on our budget compared to other clubs - yet a new squad was assembled and not use to playing this level in August last year and every opponent we play raise their game because the only show in town is facing them.

As such it means our season has fizzled out a bit and we have cemented 3rd. Going back to the start of the season there was opinions coming from all angles as to where we should be finishing. An exceptional semi final performance against Celtic 13 months ago had some believing a total push could be done others thought mid table while realistic posters like myself said top 3. And thats what we have which has brought my aim of European football - probably plenty will be discussed in a few weeks of the importance of that - so thats for another day.

The season has been unexpected - which maybe should have been expected - with the managerial change we didnt envisage at the start of the season and now we have Pedro who talks wonderfully but a few are raising the concern as to if the players know what he wants. I myself had a knee jerk reaction during the league OF game recently questioning if the manager was capable of learning from mistakes. But I am still happy to give him time and the summer transfer window will be important.

Our last home game of the season see's the side who have finished 2nd come to Ibrox. A team whose fans can be as hostile as it gets for a domestic game and coming from the city I have learned a few times the hard way. But over the 3 games we have played Aberdeen this season I think we have clearly been the better side with only the second half in the most recent 0-3 victory being when they have outplayed us yet we managed to run away with 3 goals in that half.

There has been a bit of spice added to the fixture with the managers throwing comments at each other and Rangers being linked with one of Aberdeens supposed better performers Ryan Jack who wont be fit for the match. The main aim should be for the fans to give our team a good send off for the summer and for them to return the favour with 3 points and keeping Aberdeens winless streak at Ibrox to 26 years.

Our injury list consists of defenders Rob Kiernan, Philippe Senderos, Danny Wilson, Lee Wallace plus midfielders Jordan Rossiter and Niko Kranjcar.

Therefore we may see a starting line up of:

Foderingham

Tavernier Hill Bates Beerman

Holt Halliday

Waghorn Miller McKay

Garner

Would I start with that team? Probably not, Id be looking for Joe Dodoo to start and possibly Josh Windass in place of Garner and McKay - which Pedro may very well do. Lets see.

Happy birthday, enjoy!

I can see Pedro dropping both Windass and Holt for tonight. He (rightly) slaughtered Holt (without naming him) who as one of only two men back dived into a tackle on Hearts counter-attack and by failing to win the ball made it easy for Hearts to score, instead of jockeying the player out to the sideline and wait for his team-mates to get back to help. I like Holt and I have him as our best midfielder (that we own!) but that was poor play which i hope he learns from.

Windass is a novelty act whose rare good touches are vastly outweighed by mediocrity and anonymity in equal measures, so far out his depth at this level. I predict a return to the lower leagues in England this summer with his fellow ex-Accrington player who were probably the most surprising of Warburtons signings given the level they were playing at. Still dont understand them and only aids the rumours that several transfers were more about the off-books cash transfers than players ability.

Defensive options are limited, but I would like to see Jak get the gloves for the last two games to see if he is any good. Wes has been bang average for me, so let us see if, like with Gilks, we have a better keeper in reserve than first choice. Either Hodson or Beerman at left back would seem the only choice with Tav, Hill & Bates the only fit options.

Garner & McKay have to start given they are both in form and scored in our last game, and Miller seems bomb-proof so he will hopefully play the other wide forward position and not be used in midfield where we effectively run a man down with him running about like a headless chicken giving the ball away continually. As a wide forward he has been quite effective when brought off the bench early last season, and his recent assists at Firhill and Ibrox have both come from that position, so if he has to play at all, it has to be there.

That leaves Toral plus two in midfield. Perhaps Barjonas will get a first start, or maybe Forrester (is he fit yet?) or perhaps another product of the youths can get a game. It is a dead rubber and no amount of press hype changes that fact, so better to get a sight of some untried players than continue with failures. My preference would be for Holt, Toral plus one other, but I think Pedro might punish Holt for his error on Saturday.

I can't imagine he's reached a points threshold, but this is a blow if true BH.

It appears he has 5 yellows plus the yellow/red vs Aberdeen for which he has already served a suspension v Hearts.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/clint-hill/leistungsdaten/spieler/13583

I am not certain about the first yellow vs Aberdeen, if it counts and I think it might then he has 6 and will be facing a suspension but as far as I'm aware it doesn't kick in right away.

Edited by BrahimHemdani