Premier League transfer thread

The paydays in the MLS aren't that big these days. Gerard was "only" getting paid $6 million a year which is just less than $120,000 a week. The money these days is in China.

Gerrard was finished though. Mind you so is rooney.

I expect as such they simply cant afford him.

Edited by the gunslinger

Gerrard was finished though. Mind you so is rooney.

I expect as such they simply cant afford him.

That wasn't my point. The point wasn't about the stage of their careers, it was about the earnings. Gerrard was one of the top 5 earners in the MLS and was "only" on $6 million. I THINK (cant be bothered digging out the article) that Villa was the highest paid (might have been Lampard) and that was $7-8 million. Sounds huge but really isn't, especially when you consider what could be on offer in China or even one of the big Russian teams like Zenit - and when you consider that the US deducts 30+% in tax as well, plus state tax and possibly city tax (some cities have a TON of taxes like entertainment tax - they add tax to keep US sports franchises in town.... that is why the Chargers left San Diego for LA - San Diego refused to add a stadium tax to pay for a new stadium build for the Chargers).

MLS, LA in particular, would be good if Rooney or his Mrs wanted to break into TV - but Rooney doesn't have the accent, the personality, nor the charisma to do so - a Beckham he isn't. And I suspect his Mrs is no Posh Spice either. So the "extra-curricular" activities wouldn't be on offer to the same extent as they were for the Beckham's.

The standard in the MLS is getting better, but still not that great.

I was in NYC last week.... didn't even realize that NY City were playing NY Red Bulls or I would have taken the Mrs to see it - Villa scored a belter too :(

Chinese rules have been tightened up so ridiculous transfer fees are likely to be a thing of the past.. Can't remember the exact detail but the Chinese FA basically said what ever you pay in transfer fees, you have to pay the same amount to grass roots or something like that..... So, if for example they paid £90 million, they would effectively end up with an outlay of £180 million.

Although, not sure if theres anything to stop them paying outrageous wages to out of contract players.

Its 100% tax rule. Sign a player for 50m then pay 50m in tax. But that wont stop a lot of the clubs there. It just means the transfer fees will come down a bit but the wage structure will stay the same for now. The government have a plan in place to make Chinese football huge and host a world cup and they need big names to raise the game but at the same time they will make money out the transfer fees.

Selling Lukaku to ManU for £75Mill, apparently.

But could get 100m from Chelsea. Not sure where this twist has come from. Mourinho supposedly wanted Lukaku as his no.1 target but switched to Morata. But now the Morata deal hasnt went through they make the Lukaku offer official. Pretty sure Everton will want more than 75m.

The Rooney deal could be part of it, Man Utd may be willing to pay part of Rooneys wages for the season if the Lukaku fee is lower or the full wage. Man Utd were going to pay up Rooney's contract but could offer him on loan to Everton for the season at no cost.

Edited by Gribz

But could get 100m from Chelsea. Not sure where this twist has come from. Mourinho supposedly wanted Lukaku as his no.1 target but switched to Morata. But now the Morata deal hasnt went through they make the Lukaku offer official. Pretty sure Everton will want more than 75m.

The Rooney deal could be part of it, Man Utd may be willing to pay part of Rooneys wages for the season if the Lukaku fee is lower or the full wage. Man Utd were going to pay up Rooney's contract but could offer him on loan to Everton for the season at no cost.

Everton WILL want more than 75 million. However, they have accepted the 75 million from Man U so they clearly are happy enough to accept it.

Apparently any Rooney deal will be separate and distinct, not part of this deal at all. I have no evidence, but I suspect that Rooney will take a drop in wages to go to Everton and finish his career there - to be fair, Everton have actually done a very decent job in this window so far - they should be a stronger team next season - Rooney possibly sees a) an opportunity to push his hometown team that he grew up with to a CL spot (tough but achievable if their new recruits work out) and b) an opportunity to see out his career where it all began.

If Rooney leaves it wont be on loan.

I back Arsenal every year bar last season but I will be having a flutter on them again this season.

I see Chelsea going backwards. Conte may not even be there. Yet linked with 80 defenders and havent signed one.

Man Utd - Mourinho usually wins titles in his second season but He isnt the same manager anymore. I dont see a Giggs, Scholes or keane in that UTD squad.

City - Peps arrogance will let him down again. Too many forward players and still a shabby defence.

Spurs - Wembley!

Liverpool - If they get a keeper and a top defender then Id watch out for them. Klopp is awesome but they are Liverpool and arent allowed to win the PL.

Arsenal - Wengers swagger was back at the FA cup final - if we see this next season with Lehmann kicking asses in the dressing room then stupid losses like Watford at home wont happen and they will be stronger on the road. Wenger signed a deal when fans wanted him out - he has to deliver.

Everton WILL want more than 75 million. However, they have accepted the 75 million from Man U so they clearly are happy enough to accept it.

Apparently any Rooney deal will be separate and distinct, not part of this deal at all. I have no evidence, but I suspect that Rooney will take a drop in wages to go to Everton and finish his career there - to be fair, Everton have actually done a very decent job in this window so far - they should be a stronger team next season - Rooney possibly sees a) an opportunity to push his hometown team that he grew up with to a CL spot (tough but achievable if their new recruits work out) and b) an opportunity to see out his career where it all began.

If Rooney leaves it wont be on loan.

That would all be good if Rooney was any good but he is finished. Look at his career compared to Scholes. Scholes was a top class attacking player who, due to reducing fitness, had to start moving into a deeper role around 31/32. Rooney started moving back when he was about 28 and it almost ineffective wherever he plays.

It will be interesting to see if Rooney can cut it at Everton. Like Stu just said his performances at Man Utd have shown he is almost finished. He doesnt seem to look after himself body conditioning wise - yes he is well built but he just looks too heavy.

The move to Everton may be so he can try get to the World cup next summer but he will need to have a consistently good season. He very may well surprise us all.

The paydays in the MLS aren't that big these days. Gerard was "only" getting paid $6 million a year which is just less than $120,000 a week. The money these days is in China.

They recently changed the transfer rules in China. I think it may put a stop to the crazy transfers and wages there.