General feel so far - Genius or monumental disaster?

My feeling is that off the pitch we are clearly making great progress in what was always going to be a medium-term project. There's been some big wins in the last couple of weeks and its clear that DK does have a plan.

Although I do wish he'd keep quiet about Celtic and just concentrate on us - his recent comments in particular seem misjudged at best.

On the pitch its great to see the manager getting backed and being able to do his business early, bringing in the players he clearly wanted. You can't really ask for more than that can you? Its just a matter of whether or not it all comes together now on the pitch for him although the fact he signed Alves early-on is great as its been obvious for years our central defence has sucked at defending and needed an experienced CB to lead the line.

I'd really like to see Dorrans sign - I think he could be a key player for us and is a definite improvement on anyone else we have at the moment.

The feel good factor is back, however it seems like Rangers fans are not allowed to be happy!, we all go to the football to support the team and enjoy it, in Scotland it's ok for every other set of fans to enjoy the games, except Rangers fans!.

I get the impression is generally excitement & apprehension....

Folk are excited about the quantity & perceived quality of the new players - we certainly appear to be targeting a much higher standard than in previous years. However, we know virtually nothing about these players, other that YouTube showreels. We also have no idea how they will gel as a team, adapt to life in Scotland and how they will implement PC's plans.

Then there is the off-field stuff. It is clear that the club is finally returning to it's proper place. Infrastructure is constantly improving, and the financial side is looking much more settled. The club also now has a much welcomed steady income stream from merchandise.

With all this going on, it is near on impossible to see any negatives....

I was critical of Caixinha last season and remain sceptical about his ability. I can't get excited or depressed at his signings as out with Jack and Alves I've never heard or seen any of them play. Signing the Aberdeen captain on a free is a good bit of business, he must have something about him in the dressing room in terms of leadership and responsibility too. Alves has great experience and has spent almost his entire career at a pretty high level, on paper he's a step up in quality and arguably our best signing since the day's of Walter Smith.

I remain nervous about integrating 'Latin' players into Scottish football, not only is it a big culture shock on the pitch but culturally and linguistically off it too. The young Columbian has already spent time in Finland so Scotland shouldn't be too much of a shock, the rest we'll just have to hope find their feet quickly. It's hardly impossible, Ceuller, Amaruso, Gattuso, Arteta have all fitted in quickly and well so no reason these new guys can't either.

All that being said it is exciting when a new season starts, seeing new players for the first time and the slate from last season wiped clean always brings a new hope. I'm not sure we can take much from Thursday's match either positively or negatively. The proof will come in August and September.

Although I do wish he'd keep quiet about Celtic and just concentrate on us - his recent comments in particular seem misjudged at best.

The way I see it it's simply more evidence if we needed it that aside from being the chairman Dave King is also a committed fan just like us and just like us can be irked by all the waffle being spread around. And as someone else pointed out his interview comments didn't come at an open press conference it was on Rangers TV directed at an audience of Rangers fans.

In a situation like that I feel he's entitled to wear his fan hat so to speak and talk exactly as we frequently do right here on this forum. It's been a great week. We can let him be a fan on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to this thread I wonder if the thoughts have changed. ??

PC is certainly on a last thread.

5-1 to Celtic was painful yet whats worse about that is he didnt pick up on things from the cup match the week prior - that has been massively overlooked and proved stubbornness. Until you have Success like Wenger you can act Stubborn.

Losing to Aberdeen at home for the first time in 26 years. This was a record I know a lot of Bears liked to keep but it may have been an end of season game but it obviously meant nothing to PC.

Worst result in history - I wasnt born when Berwick happened. We had some bad results in Europe under Walter but this is monumental. Luxembourg are beating boys where we should beat teams from there with the reserves. It wasnt a one of, we had 2 games to beat them.

The pendulum has swung IMO, PC has to act, his arrogance (some of which was fine) has to now go and he has to blend in a team that gets off the marks in the league fast. Nothing less than 3 wins from Motherwell, Hearts and Hibs will do. 7 Points might be OK depending on the draw but we should be looking to win all home games and if he doesnt win at Fir Park questions will be asked.

I haven't seen anything to change my opinion of him. In fact my opinion that he hasn't a clue has only been cemented. Nobody seems to understand the explanation of his tactics. I wonder if the players do?

I haven't seen anything to change my opinion of him. In fact my opinion that he hasn't a clue has only been cemented. Nobody seems to understand the explanation of his tactics. I wonder if the players do?

I remember the days of Trappatoni and the like at Bayern during his first few months, when he talked some Italo-German stuff and people would have to guess what he was saying. Which seems to be the same here, as some apparently can't get over the fact that he does not speak a cultured, easy to understand English. Not least when debating tactics on the spot after a game.

Likewise, I do find it rather absurd to simple take the results such as those against the Yahoos or Aberdeen and throw them at him, apparently (!) totally ignoring the circumstances around them. The record books will sure ignroe those circumstances too, but we are no books and we remember. Well, at least I think we do.

So let's recap at least one issue:

vs Scum FC

Foderingham

Tavernier - Hill - D. Wilson - Beerman

Hyndman - Holt - Windass

Waghorn - Miller - Dodoo

vs Sheep

Foderingham

Tavernier - Bates - A.Wilson - Hodson

Toral - Miller - Windass

McKay - Garner - Dodoo

... and now look at the more likely line up of this season and say that "you haven't seen any progress" whatsoever.

Foderingham

(Tavernier) - Alves - Cardoso - Wallace

Jack*

Candeias - Kranjcar - Pena** - Dalcio***

Herrera****

* or Rossiter

** or Dorrans

*** or possibly Walker

**** or Morelos

Maybe, just maybe, we wait till we see PC's team (sic!) actually play a few games before giving up on him?

I remember the days of Trappatoni and the like at Bayern during his first few months, when he talked some Italo-German stuff and people would have to guess what he was saying. Which seems to be the same here, as some apparently can't get over the fact that he does not speak a cultured, easy to understand English. Not least when debating tactics on the spot after a game.

Likewise, I do find it rather absurd to simple take the results such as those against the Yahoos or Aberdeen and throw them at him, apparently (!) totally ignoring the circumstances around them. The record books will sure ignroe those circumstances too, but we are no books and we remember. Well, at least I think we do.

So let's recap at least one issue:

vs Scum FC

Foderingham

Tavernier - Hill - D. Wilson - Beerman

Hyndman - Holt - Windass

Waghorn - Miller - Dodoo

vs Sheep

Foderingham

Tavernier - Bates - A.Wilson - Hodson

Toral - Miller - Windass

McKay - Garner - Dodoo

... and now look at the more likely line up of this season and say that "you haven't seen any progress" whatsoever.

Foderingham

(Tavernier) - Alves - Cardoso - Wallace

Jack*

Candeias - Kranjcar - Pena** - Dalcio***

Herrera****

* or Rossiter

** or Dorrans

*** or possibly Walker

**** or Morelos

Maybe, just maybe, we wait till we see PC's team (sic!) actually play a few games before giving up on him?

Surely you don't believe the crap that we lost to Celtic and Aberdeen because he was experimenting? I guess he was experimenting against Prógres as well.

Surely you don't believe the crap that we lost to Celtic and Aberdeen because he was experimenting? I guess he was experimenting against Prógres as well.

No .... but because we were fielding players that would normally not be first choice? As well as players in sub-standard mode he had to use as there was nothing else for him out there?

And now a few chaps up there go by these old scores and slate him despite NOT having seen HIS team in action whatsoever, but only the odd glimpse of the odd new player who has been here for a few weeks?

Edited by der Berliner