Barrie McKay's Ibrox future in doubt after he is sent to train with Under-20s

Rangers star Barrie McKay's Ibrox future in doubt after he is sent to train with Under-20s

Barrie McKay is approaching the final 12 months of his current deal at Rangers

Scotland international was sent to train with the club’s Under-20s on Monday

Nottingham Forest are among the clubs interested in signing McKay*

By Stephen Mcgowan For The Scottish Daily Mail

Published: 00:38, 27 June 2017 | Updated: 00:38, 27 June 2017

Barrie McKay's Rangers future has been cast into fresh doubt after the Scotland international was sent to train with the club’s Under-20s.

As Sportsmail first revealed, the 22-year-old turned down the offer of a pay rise and a two-year extension to his Ibrox contract in February.

With a year left to run on his current deal and no sign of compromise on either side, McKay was told to come in before first-team colleagues on Monday and informed he would be training with the development squad.

Previously linked with a move to Bundesliga side RB Leipzig, McKay can talk to interested clubs about a pre-contract agreement from January next year – with ex-Rangers boss Mark Warburton keen to take him to Nottingham Forest.

Despite the impasse, he has been named in the Rangers squad submitted to UEFA ahead of Thursday’s Europa League game with Progres Niederkorn at Ibrox.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4641706/Rangers-star-Barrie-McKay-s-Ibrox-future-doubt.html?ITO=1490

O Hallaran, Halliday and now McKay. Seems when they are told to train with the U20s that is the end. I guess PC doesnt want anyone around the first team who isnt part of the plans or hasnt got the right mindset.

McKay has a lot of talent but we are Ok for numbers in that area now and if he wants to go we can command a decent figure. Pretty sure he will fancy a pay day down south. But there is a growing list of potential good players going down south and not being heard of much again. Fleck, Ness, Wylde, and even Wilson struggled. Even Lewis Macleod's career has went stale albeit it hasnt been lucky with injuries.

Looks like he's on his way out. A pity as, on his day, he's a great player but if he doesn't want to sign a new contract then it makes sense to realise as much income from his sale as possible.

Problem is that it leaves us a body down in the Euro squad in a creative sense.

This is depressing. Hopefully this can be sorted out soon, we should be doing everything in our power to keep McKay at he club.

I read reports that Halliday if off on loan for a year, I wonder if he thinks PC might be gone by then and he can return to the club.

Would be sad to see him go because I think with better players around him he would be a huge asset. I think if we do sell him soon then we need to push the boat out for Walker to replace him.

I personally think Walker may actually be a better player for us than McKay... Don't get me wrong, I think McKay is more talented and has more potential, however, I just don't think he has the right mindset to realise that potential to its full extent.