Gersnet's expectations of season 2017/18

Now that the league season is upon us, what do we all think where we may end up in 10 months time?

Obviously, as always it is hard to predict since we hardly have seen the new team in competitive action, but one can always have hopes, expectations, and a gut feeling. Perhaps the latter and a "realistic" one might be good ... and we can obviously check the same out roundabout x-mas.

I would have expected us to get through 3 or 4 qualifying rounds in Europe, but given the early state we were in as well as the opposition of the latter quali stages (with the 4th and 5th teams of the bigger leagues enter the fray), I did not expected us to make the group stages.

In the cups, I would expect an extended run in both, with essentially the only team that could very well stop us comes from the other shore of the Clyde, maybe Hibs and Aberdeen too. Realistically, we all know that cup upsets can always happen, but IMHO, a Cup this season could and should be on the menue.

The league will be difficult to predict. Hearts and Aberdeen have had their teams weakened, the dark horse remain Hibs, who might bring some momentum along from their promotion. That said, Mr. Cummings has departed, so one would need to see how they cope with the Premiership. The Yahoos are still looking odds on for the title, but it remains to be seen whether they can keep Dembele, whether they stay as injury-free as last season and whether their players can keep the same consistency.

I very much expect a top two finish this time around (given that last season's bunch was mediocre by our standards and we should outdistance any other non-Glasgow pretender this time around), with much pending on our and the Yahoos' form when it comes the outcome of the season.

We're not making up thirty plus points in a single transfer window so a solid second place would be ok, a cup a bonus. We'll need to keep Dorrans and Alves fit though and I still don't think we've got enough goals.

But, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it's also about how we play. If we'd had anything resembling a goal scorer last season, we'd probably have made second place but that wouldn't have meant the midfield wasn't as weak as pish and the defence hopelessly unreliable.

Hopes for me is the same as any other Rangers fan - I want to win everything we play in.

Realistic hope is that we will click fast, win a cup, beat them at home twice and take the challenge for the title all the way.

Gut feeling is not so good. I fear that we will continue to be inconsistent during the first half of the season and drop behind them. That worry doesn't extend to beating the rest. However, second place by double figures from the team in third place I think is a certainty. Third place prediction is St Johnstone. They won't be anywhere near the same level this season, so I feel that we will be much closer this season but I fear we will still trail them by 8-12 points.

Fhilth fc, its manager, and a fair no. of its superstars will face, and suffer from, 2nd Season Syndrome. It will also suffer from complacency, a result of eating its own shit.

Therefore, if Pedro C can get one or two of the forwards scoring frequently, the League will be a damned sight closer than fhilth fc, and its media acolytes anticipate.

The Good Guys may even win it.

We're not making up thirty plus points in a single transfer window so a solid second place would be ok, a cup a bonus. We'll need to keep Dorrans and Alves fit though and I still don't think we've got enough goals.

But, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it's also about how we play. If we'd had anything resembling a goal scorer last season, we'd probably have made second place but that wouldn't have meant the midfield wasn't as weak as pish and the defence hopelessly unreliable.

It has been done before...

I always go into the season believing Rangers will win the title, doesn't always work out that way obviously.

So I'm not thinking of anything else other than winning the league, maybe after a few games I'll think differently, as things stand right now it's Rangers for 55 this season.

Expect to come on at Xmas time still having that belief.

Might be better to ask once the transfer window is closed, I always said we would be a strong second this year and still be in touching distance by the time the split comes around

However im going to put my neck on the line and go with my heart and say we will win the league, I am pleased with the business we have done so far but as mentioned above we need a little something extra up front.

I don't think we will lose a lot of goals this year, I think the spine of the team particularly defense and midfield is strong and imposing, keeping Alves fit will be critical. But with the money we have spent on the squad I see no reason why we can't win it.

I think celtic will get punted in to the Europa League as well and I think that will have a beneficial effect for our campaign if we get up a head of steam early, good results early on are vital celtic will be playing every Thursday and their games will be moved to a Sunday so we need to take advantage of games in hand, put lots of pressure on them.

I think there is a lot of hype in the media around Aberdeen and Hibs. Aberdeen are definitely weaker hibs are an unknown quantity in this league but they will probably finish mid table.

The same with celtic, they were great last year, great achievement going a whole season unbeaten, winning a treble, however there was no real proper challenge in the league, they won't go this year unbeaten, the MSM are doing there best to hype them up again this year.

I hope Brenda suffer his normal second season syndrome and tbh he has a checkered track record of signing players, they are either really good or really shite. Hopefully they have a bad window transfer wise and a couple of injuries, we are going to need a bit of luck.

:rfc: #55