Rangers Sign UpTo the Equality Network

Christ, just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse you go and quote Bruce Hornsby lyrics to me. That's a new low for Gersnet...

Getting older is no excuse for deciding you no longer want to learn, you no longer want to understand what's happening around you and you no longer want to accept change, even change that has almost no bearing at all upon your life except you need to modify the language you use to describe some people. There's a hundred things people in their fifties today thought was acceptable when they were children that they know isn't today. I call bullshit on lazy, selfish ignorance being used to hide deep-seated prejudice.

Quote Pete Townshend next time.

EDIT - I don't mean 'you' specifically FS, it's a collective 'you'.

Edited by JohnMc

I do too. As an LGBT Gers fan, the Club could have a huge impact if it begins a structured programme to raise awareness, tackle homophobic language and demonstrate to SPFL and SFA what leadership on diversity looks like.

Christ, just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse you go and quote Bruce Hornsby lyrics to me. That's a new low for Gersnet...

Getting older is no excuse for deciding you no longer want to learn, you no longer want to understand what's happening around you and you no longer want to accept change, even change that has almost no bearing at all upon your life except you need to modify the language you use to describe some people. There's a hundred things people in their fifties today thought was acceptable when they were children that they know isn't today. I call bullshit on lazy, selfish ignorance being used to hide deep-seated prejudice.

Quote Pete Townshend next time.

EDIT - I don't mean 'you' specifically FS, it's a collective 'you'.

I don't mind if your reply is aimed at me or not as everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't for a second expect everyone to share mine.

While Bruce Hornsby may well not be to your musical taste it does relate to what's being discussed.

Being in my fifties I concur that many things that were acceptable to me in my younger days are no longer so but equally there are many things that have changed for the worse.

Undoubted times change attitudes but not everyone moves at the same pace, whether you like it or not that's just the way it is.

I don't mind if your reply is aimed at me or not as everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't for a second expect everyone to share mine.

While Bruce Hornsby may well not be to your musical taste it does relate to what's being discussed.

Being in my fifties I concur that many things that were acceptable to me in my younger days are no longer so but equally there are many things that have changed for the worse.

Undoubted times change attitudes but not everyone moves at the same pace, whether you like it or not that's just the way it is.

I remember a news story a few years ago about a Japanese soldier who they found on an Island that didn't know the war was over. We sometimes live on our own wee island.

Ah so that explains why you come across as older than me despite being younger. ;)

It wasn't aimed at you, that's why I edited as it could easily be read that way. I'm not sure how quoting lift music at me relates to anything frankly, but I guess that's just the way it is...:P

Are you suggesting that societal attitudes to gay rights have changed for the worse FS? When you were born it was still illegal in the UK to be gay. We've had posters on this thread say "normal human beings" and "homo", I can accept that not everyone moves at the same pace but there are glaciers moving at a faster pace than some of us it seems.

It wasn't aimed at you, that's why I edited as it could easily be read that way. I'm not sure how quoting lift music at me relates to anything frankly, but I guess that's just the way it is...:P

Are you suggesting that societal attitudes to gay rights have changed for the worse FS? When you were born it was still illegal in the UK to be gay. We've had posters on this thread say "normal human beings" and "homo", I can accept that not everyone moves at the same pace but there are glaciers moving at a faster pace than some of us it seems.

Probably but if I can just interpret this Dutch Sentence it may make it that Glaciers are not the exact same all over the world.

Homofiel is een ouderwets woord voor homoseksueel, dat in Nederland en België vanaf eind jaren veertig tot in de jaren zeventig in gebruik was. Sindsdien is het vervangen door homoseksueel, homo of gay.

It says: Homophile is an old fashioned word for Homosexual that was used between the end of the forties until in the seventies.. Since then it has been replaced by Homosexual Homo or gay.

Even in the Dutch dictionary the word Homo is given as: a person who is attracted to people of the same Gender.

Only when I turn to the English dictionary is there a mention that it is a derogatory word but it also gives that it is short for Homosexual which is unfortunately the context I used it in. It was more laziness than a derogatory meaning. I have apologised and as I have lived in Holland for nearly 40 years I do tend to be more up-to-date with the Dutch way of life. Maybe I am slower than a glacier but not all glaciers take the same route or have the same shape.

Probably but if I can just interpret this Dutch Sentence it may make it that Glaciers are not the exact same all over the world.

Homofiel is een ouderwets woord voor homoseksueel, dat in Nederland en België vanaf eind jaren veertig tot in de jaren zeventig in gebruik was. Sindsdien is het vervangen door homoseksueel, homo of gay.

It says: Homophile is an old fashioned word for Homosexual that was used between the end of the forties until in the seventies.. Since then it has been replaced by Homosexual Homo or gay.

Even in the Dutch dictionary the word Homo is given as: a person who is attracted to people of the same Gender.

Only when I turn to the English dictionary is there a mention that it is a derogatory word but it also gives that it is short for Homosexual which is unfortunately the context I used it in. It was more laziness than a derogatory meaning. I have apologised and as I have lived in Holland for nearly 40 years I do tend to be more up-to-date with the Dutch way of life. Maybe I am slower than a glacier but not all glaciers take the same route or have the same shape.

Unfortunately mate it's English we tend to use around here. You're up to speed now though so looks like the Equality Network partnership has its first success!

I've been disappointed to read some of this thread. It appears to me that there are some opinions that are just not "allowed" any more. It also appears that certain people (like Pete) are being chastised for using an abbreviated term when no harm was intended. Rather than trying to have a sensible discussion (as we try to do about football matters), this descended into some people trying to educate others about what's acceptable and what's not. I'm all for ensuring that abuse and offence (no matter what form it takes) is reduced, if not eliminated, but does that mean that these things cannot be discussed and debated?

I personally found Anchorman's response to Pete as being offensive, because for me that foul language is unacceptable and abusive. Why is that tolerated more than other forms of 'abuse'? And as much as I disagreed with Pete's assertion as to the 'normality' of homosexuality, who am I to tell him what is correct? I have a different opinion to him, but that's all it is - opinion. Isn't it? Who are any of us to tell someone else? It seems that some language against others is acceptable on these and other forums and yet other subjects are completely taboo. Why? That's a genuine question, because I don't know the answer.

My kids are now telling me that the term 'elderly' is now regarded as offensive. Apparently, they've been advised not to use the term mental (even when joking with friends) as it may offend people with psychological illnesses. Furthermore, Spanish is no longer accepted because it offends those from particular regions. This is ok for my kids because they can be 'taught' all of this at school, but where do others keep up to date with this? Or as JohnMc says, "up to speed" with what's acceptable? Again, this is a serious question. I have called my parents elderly, and I know I probably upset some of my neighbours in Spain by referring to them as Spaniards. I'd like to educate myself before I cause widespread offence.

Had Pete or anyone else used these other offensive words, would there have been the same outrage? I'm not convinced. Who gets to decide which offensive words or opinions are worthy of an all out attack and condemnation, and which ones are acceptable as long as you didn't realise? Anyone?

Had Pete or anyone else used these other offensive words, would there have been the same outrage? I'm not convinced. Who gets to decide which offensive words or opinions are worthy of an all out attack and condemnation, and which ones are acceptable as long as you didn't realise? Anyone?

It's an interesting question. To an extent it's whether the phraseology is generally used in a derogatory manner. I would expect that the use of the word "homo" would generally be used in that way.

Likewise your example of "mental" may be used in a derogatory manner if used in respect of someone with mental health issues "he's mental". In your examples, elderly and Spanish generally would not and I can't see how the use of them would be insulting. "my mum is elderly", "my friend is Spanish".

However in a number of cases it's admittedly a fine line.