[FT] Ross County 1 - 3 Rangers (Morelos 31, 41; Herrera 89)

The highlights are on the BBC website.

It was a good win yesterday but I'm still really disappointed with the second half performance.

The first half we did well and took the chances we created. After half-time, County understandably changed their system, went more direct and we struggled to cope for a while - particularly after they pulled one back. I think Niko was fouled but the defending afterwards was poor as Tav (who was otherwise pretty good) lost the runner.

Pena and Herrera then came on but the midfielder struggled badly for 10-15mins and kept giving the ball away. It was only when Rossiter came on and we went to a 4-2-3-1, we nullified the County threat (particularly on our left) and we could have scored before Herrera finally did late on.

Overall, again it's difficult to argue with the work-rate but I think the manager was far too slow to react to County's threat and kept the game too open for too long. Moreover, if we're to play a 4-4-2, he simply must sign a proper left midfield player as neither Kranjcar or Pena looked comfortable there. Windass has done OK but he's made of glass and I'm not sure we can rely on him either.

Pena might be ok there though you'd imagine he'd prefer to play more centrally. Krancjar clearly hasn't got the legs for it. Assumed he'd be used off the bench this season so surprised to see him start .

Pena might be ok there though you'd imagine he'd prefer to play more centrally. Krancjar clearly hasn't got the legs for it. Assumed he'd be used off the bench this season so surprised to see him start .

I think it was forced with Windass being out.

I still think we may see Walker here before the window closes.

I think it was forced with Windass being out.

I still think we may see Walker here before the window closes.

Pedro stressed in his summer interview(s) that Niko would be his main man. Talked about him a la a quarterback in US football.

Edited by SteveC

I think we are being a bit unfair on Niko. This was his first league start in 10 months and we seen even last season it took him quite a few games before we could see his quality come through. Add in a lot of new players, new system etc.

When the player has an undoubted quality and pedigree, it must be worth showing more patience. It is different from other players who have never been a success at a high level. You know the quality is there, we just have to find the best way of getting the most out of him, and keeping him fit.

I think we are being a bit unfair on Niko. This was his first league start in 10 months and we seen even last season it took him quite a few games before we could see his quality come through. Add in a lot of new players, new system etc.

When the player has an undoubted quality and pedigree, it must be worth showing more patience. It is different from other players who have never been a success at a high level. You know the quality is there, we just have to find the best way of getting the most out of him, and keeping him fit.

Before he got injured he still wasn't anywhere near fit. He has quality but Scottish football is going to be too fast for him. For me he's an impact sub with Miller.

The second goal yesterday was really lucky. I can't think of the last time we got a break like that. There's a lot of work to do and I still think we need another couple bodies but today was all about the 3 points and not the performance

General fitness should not be a problem for ANY player - they should be able to play for 90 mins. If they can't they are of no use.

Niko, unfortunately looked well off the pace wrt general fitness - he was toiling big time latterly.

At the 2nd Goal....what would have happened if it had been Miller instead of Morellos???

It was goalkeeping gaff, but Morelos definitely deserves a lot of credit for that goal.

My thought watching it was that last season that move would have ended with either Waggy slowly and dejectedly getting to his feet while everyone howled at him for not keeping the pressure on the goalie, or Garner bundling Fox to the ground and giving away a free kick.

It was goalkeeping gaff, but Morelos definitely deserves a lot of credit for that goal.

My thought watching it was that last season that move would have ended with either Waggy slowly and dejectedly getting to his feet while everyone howled at him for not keeping the pressure on the goalie, or Garner bundling Fox to the ground and giving away a free kick.

I think you could have swapped Waggy for Miller....I think Miller would have taken his time getting back to his feet & by that time the keeper would have cleared. While Morellos wasn't overly speedy getting back up, he was still aware of what was happening.