[FT] Partick Thistle 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 19; Dorrans 77)

I can remember seeing Graeme Souness pull out of a tackle on occasion and no one would have accused him of being a coward. He simply knew when something was won or lost even before actual contact.

It isn't cowardly to pull out of a tackle. A 50:50, maybe. But it also depends on entry point of that tackle. Sometimes pulling out of a tackle ultimately allows you to remain on your feet, win the ball, push forward whilst the other guy in the tackle remains on his arse.

We still hear about people shitting out of tackles yet almost every Academy coach I watch and hear.... I hear "Stay on your feet".... A mantra that Rio Ferdinand, no mean defender himself, consistently always talks about.

By the same token it also isn't healthy to continually making things out to be better than they are

I couldn't disagree more. I'm actually quite happy with the progress we are making and am quite confident about the season ahead. However, even if I believed the doom and gloom presented on here, it is unhealthy for us to constantly put down our team and the league.

Many people got frustrated at England's commentators and press building up their players and league as "the best in the world". I actually respected them for this, because that's exactly where it starts. If you present it that way, it starts to build a perception, and before long it starts to create the reality because it slowly but surely attracts more and more people to think that way. That's why the money followed, and bette players arrived. It's still not the best league in the world but they're a lot closer than they were 15 years ago when they claimed it was. If they keep going the way they are, it will be within the next 10 years.

In contrast, we have supporters and commentators (including journalists) that take satisfaction in putting our game down all the time. We have supporters who appear to revel in our misery rather than looking to the future. We have some of these supporters in our club who would rather tell us how crap someone like Alves is, rather than building him up as someone that our younger fans can get excited about. That's what's unhealthy, and many fans still don't understand that if we don't fix this attitude, we are going to lose a younger generation of fans. Fortunately, in my circle of family and friends, we are positive about the club right now and the kids are all excited to see Morelos, Alves, Pena, and Wes in particular. We've created heroes out of these guys, and players that the kids can talk about in the same way as Real Madrid fans talk about Ronaldo. I think that's healthy, and far healthier than the negativity that goes on here sometimes.

Finally, a lot of the negativity stems from the game the other night against Thistle. I'm disappointed about the result too, but I thought it was a fantastic game of football. Any neutral watching that game would have been delighted at the entertainment. For excitement it was top drawer I thought. Both teams played the game with a high tempo in the first half and clearly tired a little, albeit Thistle exploited that tiredness better than we did for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Both teams had very skilful players on show and moved the ball around really well. That's a great advert for our game is it not?

I'm looking forward to a successful season where we finish second but with more of a performance each time against Celtic than we did last season. I'd also hope to see a few more games like the one the other night, because I barely breathed for the last 20 minutes and I love when sport causes that. Not breathing may be unhealthy, but I'll take that temporary loss of oxygen in my bloodstream over the permanent negative poison which seems to run through many people's veins in our game.

The tackle was meant = Red card. It wasn't reckless as you tried to point out in your previous post, in your efforts to balance what you are saying you have added in 'or just an accident' Unbelievable!

Bringing Miller into again...yeah send him away before the 'Old Firm' game. :facepalm: Brenda too will be hoping for that scenario I'm sure. Good luck with that.

Can you read minds? The boy seemed to go for the ball and then the leg. No one but he himself knows his intention. I'd say reckless is a fair description by anyone who isn't a mind reader. And all that has nothing to do wiyh Windass jumping out of the boy's way - all he had to do was stand his ground.

Miller has been a waste of a jersey this season, so PC can carry on playing him if he doesn't like it in Glasgow. We can't afford passengers.

Edited by Gonzo79

Unfortunately dB's idea of a forum is one where you continually defend your team and are not allowed to offer up criticism, no matter how warranted. Some would call that a propaganda machine.....

Take it easy dB.... just being light hearted :thup:

But you are still wrong. It is, more or less about having reallistic expectations for the season as well as each game, with the former still more dominant than the latter. What we see more often than not is that while people do have certain expectations for the season, after a bad performance or result, they seemingly go ballistic and all doom and gloom. It is not that I don't scream at my monitor when the ref is an idiot like Beaton or one of our players fluffs at a glorious chance or wastes a great pass. But if we play half decent football like we did on Friday and it is more down to the odd mistake in defence and a host of missed chances, I see no reason to call for heads or term certain players unfit to wear the gersey. On another we might have scored 4 more and we probably will in weeks to come.At least we look more likely than last season.

At the end of the day we are where we are. We can fully expect to go for second place with the squad we have, and do have every chance to go all the way in the one-off competitions. Celtic, at this moment in time, is no benchmark. We can hope that they drop points, but they have that same well-oiled machine of last season, a fully intact spine and free-scoring strikers. How it will stretch over the season is anyone's guess. And I for one do not think that is unreasonable. So perhaps people think about their expectations and think about the time of year we have right now. Football never works on a weekly or even monthly basis.

What I'm sick of hearing is that bi-weekly - unreasonable - doom-mongering and head-calling. Which should not stop anyone from criticising tactics, player selection and player performances, which I take part in too.

Edited by der Berliner

But you are still wrong. It is, more or less about having reallistic expectations for the season as well as each game, with the former still more dominant than the latter. What we see more often than not is that while people do have certain expectations for the season, after a bad performance or result, they seemingly go ballistic and all doom and gloom. It is not that I don't scream at my monitor when the ref is an idiot like Beaton or one of our players fluffs at a glorious chance or wastes a great pass. But if we play half decent football like we did on Friday and it is more down to the odd mistake in defence and a host of missed chances, I see no reason to call for heads or term certain players unfit to wear the gersey. On another we might have scored 4 more and we probably will in weeks to come.At least we look more likely than last season.

At the end of the day we are where we are. We can fully expect to go for second place with the squad we have, and do have every chance to go all the way in the one-off competitions. Celtic, at this moment in time, is no benchmark. We can hope that they drop points, but they have that same well-oiled machine of last season, a fully intact spine and free-scoring strikers. How it will stretch over the season is anyone's guess. And I for one do not think that is unreasonable. So perhaps people think about their expectations and think about the time of year we have right now. Football never works on a weekly or even monthly basis.

What I'm sick of hearing is that bi-weekly - unreasonable - doom-mongering and head-calling. Which should not stop anyone from criticising tactics, player selection and player performances, which I take part in too.

we didn't play decent football in the second half against partick

in fact we played abysmally badly against 10 men

real clueless headless chicken stuff.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm actually quite happy with the progress we are making and am quite confident about the season ahead. However, even if I believed the doom and gloom presented on here, it is unhealthy for us to constantly put down our team and the league.

Many people got frustrated at England's commentators and press building up their players and league as "the best in the world". I actually respected them for this, because that's exactly where it starts. If you present it that way, it starts to build a perception, and before long it starts to create the reality because it slowly but surely attracts more and more people to think that way. That's why the money followed, and bette players arrived. It's still not the best league in the world but they're a lot closer than they were 15 years ago when they claimed it was. If they keep going the way they are, it will be within the next 10 years.

In contrast, we have supporters and commentators (including journalists) that take satisfaction in putting our game down all the time. We have supporters who appear to revel in our misery rather than looking to the future. We have some of these supporters in our club who would rather tell us how crap someone like Alves is, rather than building him up as someone that our younger fans can get excited about. That's what's unhealthy, and many fans still don't understand that if we don't fix this attitude, we are going to lose a younger generation of fans. Fortunately, in my circle of family and friends, we are positive about the club right now and the kids are all excited to see Morelos, Alves, Pena, and Wes in particular. We've created heroes out of these guys, and players that the kids can talk about in the same way as Real Madrid fans talk about Ronaldo. I think that's healthy, and far healthier than the negativity that goes on here sometimes.

Finally, a lot of the negativity stems from the game the other night against Thistle. I'm disappointed about the result too, but I thought it was a fantastic game of football. Any neutral watching that game would have been delighted at the entertainment. For excitement it was top drawer I thought. Both teams played the game with a high tempo in the first half and clearly tired a little, albeit Thistle exploited that tiredness better than we did for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Both teams had very skilful players on show and moved the ball around really well. That's a great advert for our game is it not?

I'm looking forward to a successful season where we finish second but with more of a performance each time against Celtic than we did last season. I'd also hope to see a few more games like the one the other night, because I barely breathed for the last 20 minutes and I love when sport causes that. Not breathing may be unhealthy, but I'll take that temporary loss of oxygen in my bloodstream over the permanent negative poison which seems to run through many people's veins in our game.

You also have supporters who don't see the tree's until they are lost in the forest.

We even had posters telling us Green Llambias and Ashley were good for us up until the end.

I agree it was an exciting game having everyone sitting on the edge of their seat but Thistle looked better than rangers for most of the second half.

You also have supporters who don't see the tree's until they are lost in the forest.

We even had posters telling us Green Llambias and Ashley were good for us up until the end.

I agree it was an exciting game having everyone sitting on the edge of their seat but Thistle looked better than rangers for most of the second half.

It's amazing how differently two people can see a game. Thistle had two chances in the first 15 minutes and took them. We then battered their goal for 30 minutes and couldn't score. There was only one team looking that they'd score and that was us.

dont really understand all the whining. We are going for second not first, and personally don't think we have seen the expected starting 11 start a game yet, so all is on course.

We are Rangers. Second is unacceptable.

So thats 25 mins of 90. Not good enough but you have had to play with sematics a fair bit there to make it sound worse.