[FT] Partick Thistle 1 - 3 Rangers (Pena 55; Candeias 94; Herrera 99)

So pleased that PC has at last played the system he (and many of us) prefers. Last night's game did however show us why he's been trying other systems though.

Firstly, it was a boost to see Pena from the start, and he looks great in that role. He found space, and played those one-twos he is so good at. The team needs to recognise those runs he makes though, because too often he played the pass and made the run, only for his team-mate (normally Morelos) to pass elsewhere. When the partnership develops, these two could be lethal together.

Candeias was clearly enjoying that system too. He's a good winger, but he's so good when cutting inside too, so this suits him and he could have had a few more goals last night. He is so fit too and was up and down that side of the pitch all game. He seems to have settled really well and will be competing for player of the season without a doubt.

Jack played well, but he's got to be more disciplined in his positioning. This system is very different from what he's played before and he needs to sit deeper between Alves and Cardoso. We gave away too many chances to them because we left big gaps. Against Celtic this would be a problem, but perhaps the manager opted to play it this way. Only he knows. Either way, if we're committing to this system, Jack needs to recognise when he has to sit that 10 yards deeper. And that brings me on to Dorrans. Dorrans is a really good leader and I rate him very highly, but in this fluid system, I feel he's out of position a lot. He likes to get forward, but he has to be the link between Jack and the front 4 and this didn't work for some reason. There were too many times when there were wide open spaces in the middle of the park and that's where he should have been. It also meant when we lost possession that Jack then pushed further forward to press the player. This causes the shape at the back to crumble. Almost every single break away they had was as a result of us being overloaded initially in that area. That shouldn't happen, and I hope they see that in the analysis session tomorrow. Dorrans will have competition from Holt in that role.

John looked excellent and he's got be pushing for a first team place now. He does however have to improve his awareness and decision making. He always looks to drive forward but he has to recognise when other players are committed forward and just sit back more. Equally though, his team mates need to recognise he's always thinking of attacking and perhaps sit back for him too. But he's a really exciting player and I'm sure we are already starting work on his pre contract for January.

The final player I'd pick out for attention is Morelos. Although he clearly has to develop his support for other players (in particular his understanding of how to create space and chances for Pena), I'm more and more impressed with him with every game. We all hoped we could sign someone like him, but I didn't think we'd get someone this good and so young. He's quick, he's strong, he's skilful, and he is so confident. His workrate is top class and I'm sure we all enjoy watching this boy play for us. There were (and probably still are) some doubts as to whether he is ready to play as the lone striker in this system, but I feel he's able to develop quickly into that role and I'd persevere with it, even if it means risking a few more points in the process.

Many of us hoped we'd see the manager's preferred system implemented, and last night was the first time. There are some big points of concern to address (as I've mentioned), but he's got to stick with this now. We will drop more points in the process of learning and working out the best 11, but I'm hoping PC gets the support from all players. I said yesterday that Miller and Wallace aren't naturally going to fit into this, and after last night I'd say that Windass is a doubt too. I hope he can develop, but now I see why we wanted Walker, who is a more natural fit for that role.

It'll be very interesting to see the approach we now have for the weekend game. Given that he's not under great pressure to win (accepting however we need to compete), I'd hope he'd stick with the same system as last night to see how we can create chances again Celtic. I'd fancy our chances to score a couple, but unless we sort out the shaping and discipline in certain positions we could lose a few too. I'm a risk taker so I'd go for it. I hope PC thinks that way too.

I think Jack coming wide is a tactic: to create a situational back-three, which allows better ball circulation -- and cover for Tav! Which I don't mind, but -- as you pointed out -- it needs Dorrans to be more disciplined in taking up a position centrally, to protect the back 4, or situational back-three, then distribute the ball forward with Dorrans' long passing ability.

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald believes referee Steven McLean was "affected" by Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha's comments ahead of their League Cup quarter-final tie.

Caixinha said teams are more aggressive against Rangers after they drew 2-2 with 10-man Thistle in the league.

"You could see that Pedro's comments affected the officials," Archibald said after Rangers won 3-1 in the cup tie.

"Every 50-50 went their way. I'm so disappointed."

Rangers opened the scoring in the second half at Firhill through midfielder Carlos Pena, who was one of three changes to the visitors' line-up, four days after the teams had met in the Premiership.

Archibald made two changes to his side, replacing the cup-tied Miles Storey and the suspended Chris Erskine, who had been sent off against Rangers in the league.

After Rangers were forced to replace defenders Bruno Alves and Declan John through injury, Thistle's push for an equaliser gathered momentum and they were rewarded through substitute Kris Doolan's 90th-minute strike.

Thistle were subdued in extra-time, though, with Rangers establishing a two-goal lead through Daniel Candeias and Eduardo Herrera in the opening period.

"It was a fantastic game to watch, just disappointing [to lose]," said Archibald.

"I thought the boys put so much in, we were in the ascendancy when we scored, and it's hard to put your finger on extra time, and why we dropped off.

"We changed our shape in the second half, we felt the lad No 27 [Pena] was causing a problem in the hole.

"We were just about to bring Kris Doolan on and they scored. We gave Rangers a lot of chances, which was disappointing, they came from a slack pass or dwelling on the ball.

"We deserved our goal when we got it, just disappointed with the reaction in extra-time, because I didn't see it coming."

What a shame. Nothing about their assaults in the other tie?

I actually thought we dealt with their physicality better last night. We were ready for it and tended draw the fouls more, which I liked. I think it was that rather than referee's giving us more 50/50 - the majority weren't 50/50's anyway!

PEDRO CAIXINHA admitted he’s ready to throw teenager Ross McCrorie into Saturday’s Old Firm crunch after Rangers booked their place in the League Cup semi-final.

The Ibrox men beat Partick Thistle after extra time but the 3-1 victory came at a significant cost with Bruno Alves and Declan John both limping off.

Caixinha – already without skipper Lee Wallace – now faces an anxious sweat to see if the defensive duo will be fit enough to face Celtic at Ibrox on Saturday.

However, the Rangers boss insists he will have no qualms about pitching 19-year-old McCrorie, who replaced Alves, into the heat of battle this weekend.

He said: “When we were controlling the second half I had to take Bruno and Declan off at the same time.“Both have problems and that is the reason I was forced to make the substitutions.

“We know we have four days so we need to assess them over the next 24 to 48 hours and then we will have a clearer idea if they can make it.“I need to know before I can make my decision for Saturday.

“But, I have no concerns about Ross. I never had and never will have. If he needs to play on Saturday, he will play.“Ross McCrorie is going to be one of the best centre halves in history, not just for this club but for this country.“You just need to see what he did. He was brilliant.“It’s not about age or names. It’s about getting the chance to prove it.”

Carlos Pena, on his first start for the club, nodded home from a corner to put Rangers ahead at the start of the second half.

But, Kris Doolan swept home a 90th minute equaliser to force extra time.

Daniel Candeias then made amends for missing an earlier open goal, crashing in the 94th minute before Eduardo Herrera, Gers fourth sub, completed the scoring.

Caixinha was delighted with the way his team out-lasted the Jags and compared them to Duracell bunnies. Caixinha said: “We deserved to be winners in 90 minutes but we missed a lot of chances.

“In extra time we played the way we want to play“People talk about out fitness but my players ran and ran like the rabbits with the batteries“Everybody saw the difference in extra time. Now the boys will have a day off and then we will prepare for Saturday.

“The main concern is to recover. They are difference matches, but of course they are connected.“If we were eliminated then of course the confidence would have been knocked down.“So it’s important to win, especially a knockout match.“Let’s see what this competition has for us.“No matter what happens in the draw we are thinking about getting to Hampden for the final.”

For Thistle the 24-year wait for a win against Rangers continues much to the annoyance of manager Alan Archibald.

He said: “I was not expecting what happened at the start of extra-time as I thought we finished the game much stronger.“I think the final whistle came at the wrong time for us.”

I think Jack coming wide is a tactic: to create a situational back-three, which allows better ball circulation -- and cover for Tav! Which I don't mind, but -- as you pointed out -- it needs Dorrans to be more disciplined in taking up a position centrally, to protect the back 4, or situational back-three, then distribute the ball forward with Dorrans' long passing ability.

In a normal 4-2-3-1, the holding player becomes the central defender (between the two main central defenders). I think you're suggesting that instead of that, Cardoso is taking the central role and Jack is taking the right hand side. If that's the case, I missed that and it makes sense, but then the pressure is really on Dorrans to be more disciplined as you say. PC is very unconventional and it's refreshing that he's trying out new things. I'm not convinced by this part of the tactic, but I'm really hoping we either make it work or change it. The balance of the team is definitely much better though. We need to try it against a team like Celtic or Aberdeen, and then we need to test it against a team like St Johnstone.

I can imagine the likes of Miller being unsupportive of this change though, because where does he play? Someone else suggested playing Herrera as the sole striker, with Morelos on the left. That's very interesting as far as I'm concerned. Herrera definitely is more suited to that role, but I think it might waste Morelos' talents. I'd be up for testing it out, but that's easy for me because my job isn't on the line if it goes wrong.

PC strikes me as a guy who is very decisive and has probably already made up his mind about Saturday. Last night however must be making him think about testing it out against them at the weekend. I think he used last night as a test, thinking he'd then revert for the Celtic game, but he might kick himself if he doesn't take this risk. Despite the negatives from last night, this is the best tactical performance we have had for a few years in my opinion. Although we've had good one-off results against teams like Celtic in the cup semi, this is a repeatable system and it's exciting to watch, although a little too 'exciting' at times.

Whatever PC decides, he has to commit within the next month or so, because he has to prepare to use January to sign the pre contracts for the players we think will fit in.

I can imagine the likes of Miller being unsupportive of this change though, because where does he play? Someone else suggested playing Herrera as the sole striker, with Morelos on the left. That's very interesting as far as I'm concerned. Herrera definitely is more suited to that role, but I think it might waste Morelos' talents. I'd be up for testing it out, but that's easy for me because my job isn't on the line if it goes wrong.

Very valid comments, however, with Miller being rested for last night's game, I think he is a certainty for the weekend match. That's a shame if it turns out be the case, because, for all of Pena's erratic passing, we definitely carried far more of a goal threat.

I did think that the shape last night may be more suited to the personnel at Pedro's disposal but against Celtic, I think he has to bring in two defensive midfielders. With Rossiter being injured, perhaps Holt comes in alongside Jack. Dorrans moves to the left, Pena centre (no 10) and Candeias on the right. That then leaves the choice of the sole striker and it would be difficult to see how Morelos can be left out after his start to the season. However, Herrera may be better suited to hold up the ball and bring in the attacking midfielders, but all well above my pay grade!