Rangers 0 - 2 Celtic

For varying reasons over the last week or so I've been a wee bit more philosophical than usual. First of all, last Friday, despite pretty much dominating a stuffy Partick side down to ten men for the last quarter of the game, we were unable to get a match-winning third goal. Many bears were savage in their criticism as two important points were dropped.

Ironically enough, in the very next fixture against the same team, it was Partick that perhaps put us under pressure for the same period and they did manage to break us down for a late equaliser. Despite not being a religious man, as extra-time started on Tuesday night, I remember joining Jak Alnwick and Carlos Pena in looking for celestial guidance. And, strangely enough, it came in the form of two further light-blue goals which seemed altogether unlikely as the initial 90mins ended. Should I thank Eduardo Herrera or an omnipotent being for their intervention?

Sadly, all this sporting angst was perhaps put into perspective via the funeral of a family friend the following morning. Interestingly this was a Humanist service which seem more and more popular nowadays. The celebrant spoke well and their tribute of our friend was well appreciated as we all reflected on their life together. I'm sure some of those present also visited any religious faith they may have had but for what seemed the majority Gods and such-like weren't needed - just kind words and the humanity of a shoulder to cry on. Simple stuff really but fitting.

To use this in the context of a football match preview is perhaps rather crass but I couldn't shake off the subject of the divine when it came to Rangers yesterday. For whatever reason, despite our recent humbling over the last five or six years, some of our fans still seem to think we have some sort of God-given right to win every match. Yes, almost 150 years of domestic success has bred a mindset of understandable superiority but history also tells us empires can and will fall. As such, it continues to surprise me when Rangers supporters expect to win everything immediately without fail despite our own recent downfall. OK, our budget and our past triumphs may (or should) deliver confidence but arrogance is what caused so many of our contemporary tribulations. Are we to not learn from such fine lines? And, if we are, patience and respect may be just two virtues to take...

With that in mind, I think it's worth paying Partick Thistle some respect. Whilst not the best team we'll ever play, they're well organised, well-motivated and showed over two games they're no mugs to be brushed aside. This can be applied to most Premiership teams we'll play against this season. Quite simply if we take any result for granted then we'll have problems. We're not entitled to anything - far less within modern Scottish and European football.

In a similar vein, I also think our own players and manager deserve some credit. We're absolutely not the finished article but some strategic foibles aside, progress seems to be obvious enough. We're still not taking enough of our chances and we're still less than impressive defensively but given the squad turnover this summer, we're doing OK and, no matter this result this weekend, perhaps some more patience would be agreeable? That doesn't mean we should excuse bad performances or repetitive mistakes - just acknowledge we're a work in progress and starting again isn't always the best idea.

Nevertheless, this weekend's game will tell us a lot. We may have a vastly different first XI from which started the last Old Firm game but the manager is the same and some of our players retain experience of the fixture. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an improvement in our fortunes when it comes to these games this season - if not in three points on Saturday but in attitude, application and performance at least. Yes, we may also need to respect what Brendan Rodger's Celtic side have done over the last year or so but we should use their success to inspire us: in the same way Partick can match us for long spells (and indeed Celtic the other week) we should be capable of even more at home to our greatest rivals. Another 1-5 defeat just isn't unacceptable.

Clearly to achieve a positive outcome, team selection will be key. In defence, despite an excellent display from Jak Alnwick during the week, Wes Foderingham is a certainty to be recalled for this game. Furthermore, although they went off with knocks on Tuesday, I'd like to think both Declan John and Bruno Alves will make Saturday by hook or by crook. I don't expect nor fancy a back three or five so James Tavernier should complete our usual four at the back.

In midfield, I also don't envisage many changes in the way we set up against Partick - though I would expect us to be slightly more pragmatic in approach. Ryan Jack and Graham Dorrans will both sit that wee bit deeper with Daniel Candeias and Josh Windass in the wider positions - though likely to be more withdrawn than usual. Neither had great games at Firhill but both will be favoured ahead of Nemane or Dalcio.

Slightly further forward in the central role, I'd be surprised to see anyone other than Kenny Miller. Sure, I'd probably agree with the majority of fans in that Kenny's time as a first pick has now gone but he knows more about this game than any player in both sets of teams so that could be vital come Saturday - especially with only Fod, Tav and Windass of our usual first XI having faced Celtic before. We also cannot afford the game to pass someone like Pena by in such an important position. However, Miller will have to improve ten fold on his disappointing contribution so far this season.

That leaves us with a sole striker to deploy and that should be the impressive Alfredo Morelos. The young Columbian was clearly exhausted after 90mins on Tuesday so I was glad the manager replaced him with one eye on Saturday's game. The afore-mentioned Herrera's extra-time efforts won't have gone unnoticed though so should we need a change for whatever reason, we can go to him with confidence. All in all, the graphic below is the team I think we'll see.

That takes us to the manager. Pedro Caixinha has now been in charge for six months and that includes two Old Firm games in the dugout. Despite a variety of subsequent changes to his squad, the Celtic team hasn't altered much from the two defeats Pedro suffered against them last campaign. For a manager who enjoys in-depth tactical analysis of the sport, he has to show he can use that knowledge to break the pattern of recent Celtic dominance in the fixture. If the worst happens on Saturday then as much as I think the board will still show restraint as to his future, many Rangers fans will lose faith in the Portuguese's ability to return success back to Ibrox.

When such a loss of confidence happens, even the hand of God may not save a manager but, in any case, we need more tangible solutions to make Rangers great again. Yet, despite this scientific outlook, I'll be worshipping at the temple of Ibrox again this weekend. You never know...

Possible team (4-2-3-1):

rfc_celtic.jpg

Edited by Frankie

Our Admin on the German board wrote yesterday ...

It is starting to get brutal again. Like a tradition these past few years, the derby comes up and the hospital situation changes completely. 2 weeks ago we had a full squad. Now, right on cue for the derby, Celtic has Dembele again fit again and we accumulate injuries. Alves and John bear question marks, as both had to leave early yesterday.

In addition, the game sure has taken its toll. Sure enough, Celtic is also playing today, but they have such a great squad that they will be able to protect players tonight without losing quality.

It's going to be difficult. More than hard, actually. Anything but a defeat would be a surprise. As harsh as it sounds, but that is the reality. You just hope it won't be a rout. For if it comes to that, chaos will reign with the Drama Queens. We will have to wait and see which players will be available for Saturday and then we can look what formation would be useful. As long as the team fights and gives its all, I accept every result. Nonetheless, we always have a chance as the form book usually goes out of the window.

... and that is probably a right assessment right now. We should be under no illusions here and be prepared for a defeat. It is u to the players to be up for it, get out all their talent and energy, as well as staying focussed for the 90 mins. And you would obviously hope that Thompson for once is up for the challenge.

Edited by der Berliner

watched a bit of the Dundee game last night....

Ceptic were very comfortable on the ball....coz Dundee let them be. Dundee didn't put ANY pressure on their players when the ball was either in the Ceptic 3rd or the middle 3rd.....they simply sat back & let them pass the ball around, with the odd (almost) 1/2 hearted challenge going in.

This gave them time to organise and structure their attack more. They would then break quickly from the middle 3rd of the pitch towards the Dundee box. If the attack failed, they brought it back to the 1/2 way line and started again - all with minimal intervention from the Dundee players.

If we want to stand ANY chance of getting some kind of positive from the match, we MUST press them hard, further up the pitch. Put their players under constant pressure by limiting their time on the ball & being right in their faces - as a team, they don't like that. I believe they don't have the quality to cope with being pressured and having opposing players right in their faces & on their heels.

Great article and i think it's always a reflective time when a friend or family member passes away.

I'm really looking forward to the game, and although there won't be many that expect a win, there is now at least the possibility of it. I've gone for 2-0 in the prediction league, but a win for us is more likely to be 4-3, given that the system we're likely to play will result in goals for them. Our only hope is that Morelos scores every chance he gets.

I think if we had proven Tuesday night's system sooner, we would have used it against Celtic, but this game has come too soon for that. I do therefore agree that Miller is more likely to start than Pena. It's for this reason that I'm looking at the weekend's game as a bit of a false situation. We know we are likely to be moving towards a 4-2-3-1 or similar after Saturday, and yet we also believe we won't be using that this weekend. What happens if we win by some strange stroke of luck? Does that then put pressure on the manager to stick with the current system? He's got to have even more strength of character to then say he's changing the system from something that beat Celtic, to one that only drew with Thistle after 90 minutes. I believe that's exactly what he should do, but what a tough decision to make, and what a tough one for some of the players and many of the supporters to accept. I don't expect he will have that problem, but I suppose it would old be a nice one to have. Bring it on.

Edited by Gaffer

“A battle is won by the side that is absolutely determined to win. Why did we lose the battle of Austerlitz? Our casualties were about the same as those of the French, but we had told ourselves early in the day that the battle was lost, so it was lost.”

Tolstoy, War and Peace.

Thanks Frankie, excellent preview as always. Injury permitting, I think that the team you have suggested will be the starting 11 on Saturday. The only alternative could be for Miller to take over from Windass and Pena retaining his position in the centre.

I do think that you have hit the nail on the head though with regards to expectations. We all have been spoilt by years of unparalleled success, but the total destruction forced onto the club will take time to bring order back into place. I hate it, I cannot stand the thought that we may be second best to them, but the reality is that for a period of time, we are going to be playing catch up.

Ideally, every player busts a gut on Saturday, fights for every ball, wins their individual battles and we come out comfortable winners but more realistically, as long as we can see discernible improvement, I would be OK with that, unhappy but OK!

We need to press them from the very start. Get in their faces and put a few heavy tackles into Roberts and Forrest the way we used to do to Nakamura. This is a massive game for Dorrans. He was a decent standard EPL player not long ago and this is the type of game he should be showing his experience and class.

Our two wingers will be crucial as well. Windass simply can't go into hiding and needs to put the effort in that the Portuguese on the other wing has done so far this season. We'll get chances on Sat, let's hope they fall to the little man up top as I'm sure he'll take this game in his stride though he'll need to watch his temperament.

I think Frankie is probably right with his starting line up but I wouldn't be surprised if he maybe goes with Hodson at left back and John instead of Windass. I'd be happy enough with either. Windass could have the beating of Lustig if he wants to. I've always thought that their right back was their weak link. Along with Gordon. I've never got the hype with him.

One thing has to change from last season and that's our physicality against them. We hardly won any of our 50/50's last year against them. This HAS to change. We can't be bullied off the ball. Get in their faces and make sure each any every one of them knows they are in a game. Like Frankie says, if we give 100% and don't get the result then that's football. They are better than us right now but at some stage this season we need to take 3 points off them.

Buzzing as always for it