Forget the height stats here is one that makes a real mockery of Scotland----- Iceland population of 350,000 qualified for world cup finals,maybe lessons to be learned there?.

Summer football, hot springs, geysirs, and sauna? And some Viking like "round-the-island" rowing competition to build team morale ... and upper body strength!? On a sidenote, Switzerland is one victory short of going through their group by winning all 10 games.

Thus, it does indeed depend on the competition within each group and the current standard of the respective teams. The Islanders currently have a well drilled unit with a number of rather good players, who probably have played for years in the top leagues of Europe rather than at home. Scotland, by contrast, hasn't produced that many top level footballers for half a decade or so and has had managers who have relied on veteran and experience rather than up and coming stars and better - or lets say adequate - tactics. There is a reason why Northern Ireland has punched above their level for a while now - with arguably worse players in their squad than Scotland would have available. Their way shouldn't be Scotland's though. For there sure is talent in the likes of Armstrong, Tierney, McLean and Co., even in the Racist. To get their act together, I wouldn't mind if Scotland has a "block" of players from one club as a spine (and sadly enough, that's the Yahoos at the moment), but one should utilize them according to the best of their abilities. And add the best quality out there, not the Berras or Mulgrews or some folk from the English Championship, unless they play at the top of their game. Yet, I am quite sure that Strachan will tred the same old passes and I fear the next manager will do the same.

BTW, it was whispered that James McArthur (now at struggling Crystal Palace) might do a Dorrans in January / next summer and come back home and try his luck with his team of choice. Very quietly whispered rumours ... and no interest from us indicated as of now.

Edited by der Berliner

If we look at our 2 relatively worst results in the qualifying, it was drawing 1-1 with Lithuania at home and losing 3-0 away to Slovakia.

In both games, he want with big forwards instead of going with the Griffiths, who was the wee guy in form.

Strachan's ream selections at the start of the campaign are what cost us, and it was him going with height rather than form which was his downfall.

I guess he doesn't have the self-awareness to realise his own weaknesses.

It was the home games against Lithuania and England.

Lithuania at home should be a banker especially when knowing Malta points will be removed for play off tally.

Yet to get infront against England at home then not defend properly was always going to be the costly goal.

Strachan has made improvements during the campaign but still only got 8/11 selections right recently. He should give someone else a go. Sam Allardyce practically put himself forward for the job last month and he should be contacted straight away. Englands loss could be our gain. Id have no issues with an Englishman in charge although Im sure it wouldnt go down well with some tartans who havent reached the 21st century yet.

Bar Allardyce if the SFA go down the homegrown route then I think their list will be Big Eck, Lambert, Moyes and the already employed Malky Mckay. But likes of Alex Neil should be looked at. Did great with Norwich and has started well with Preston.

IMO Id take Big Eck back, I think he is ideal for international management.

Lambert is a good manager but had a few set backs, still think he is a club manager.

Moyes stock is very low at the moment.

McKay I think is a possible shoe in with current role and an easy appointment.

Edited by Gribz

Allardyce's father was a polisman in Elgin, hailing from that area, and , as far as I know, his mother was born and raised in that region, too. His sister was born there.

Big Sam was born in Dudley, some years later, after his parents moved to the Black Country.

Ergo, Big Sam could have played for Scotland, strange as that may sound. As manager, he would be more Scottish than some of his charges.

Bring him on!!!

Allardyce's father was a polisman in Elgin, hailing from that area, and , as far as I know, his mother was born and raised in that region, too. His sister was born there.

Big Sam was born in Dudley, some years later, after his parents moved to the Black Country.

Ergo, Big Sam could have played for Scotland, strange as that may sound. As manager, he would be more Scottish than some of his charges.

Bring him on!!!

I can think of no one better for Scotland right now than Sam Allardyce. It might even curb some of the bigotry from the so-called tartan army.

It would be an honour to have him in charge.

Edited by Bill

Never mind Broonie has the problem solved,he will continue playing for his country if the SFA keep Strachan.

How condescending no doubt the blazers will be falling over themselves to make sure it happens:giruy::flipa::roflmao:.

Hunt the pair of them, sez I.

Celtic captain Scott Brown will continue with Scotland for one last attempt at qualifying for a major tournament, providing Gordon Strachan stays on as manager. (Daily Record)

Broon picking and choosing again?