Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

The expectation levels of many seem to be on a very different level to the harsh reality of our squad, financial situation and other issues.

Ambition / Hope is fine but to expect water to turn into wine, is something else.

Water does turn into wine but you need other ingredients to do it. That is a managers job to produce these ingredients. There the board also have to play a huge part in that in producing the means to buy those ingredients. Just because McInnes could only take Aberdeen to second place does not mean that he can only play second fiddle all of the time. I know I was a big critic of Pedro but that was because I saw totally no structure coming in the team. McInnes has proved with Aberdeen that he can bring in a structure but he has to be given the ingredients to make the wine.

Gribz mate, i hope you're well.

What we don't need is an arrogant Dutch manager who'll refuse to adapt if things aren't going his/our way. FdB would be a huge gamble and one I don't think we can be taking. We need someone like Allardyce who'll get the players playing as a unit and make us hard to beat. Right now the performance isn't important, it's getting the results.

It's just a shame a 6e hear old Allardyce is commanding so much a week on wages.

All very well Gav, thanks and hope you are also bud. Long time!

I think FdB would be more suited to a club like us, the Palace fit just didnt look right from day 1. Its kind of ruined his stock. It was actually the Palace board who requested they changed their style and played a more continental way hence why Pardew was sacked. Not sure how it was possible FdB could turn a poor group into a passing side in such a short space of time, his only two decent players Cabeye and Zaha were injured. I think he would fit into the Rangers structure long term however I do think we need an injection of confidence right now like an Allardyce / Big Eck mentality type. I wouldnt say no to Arry Redknapp to fill the gig until the end of the season until we unearth our next proper manager - because we cant start chopping and changing.

Im not so sure on Allardyce though, he seems to think he is a bit invincible all of a sudden and I dont think he will do that well with Everton (where he looks to be going). I see your line of thought though and in that case the person Id like is Warnock. He isnt everyones cup of tea but what an impact manager he is and has an incredible record in the Championship. He is also a Gers fan.

I heard Ray Wilkins interview, he would be good in the set up - probably as a No.2.

Edited by Gribz

Water does turn into wine but you need other ingredients to do it. That is a managers job to produce these ingredients. There the board also have to play a huge part in that in producing the means to buy those ingredients. Just because McInnes could only take Aberdeen to second place does not mean that he can only play second fiddle all of the time. I know I was a big critic of Pedro but that was because I saw totally no structure coming in the team. McInnes has proved with Aberdeen that he can bring in a structure but he has to be given the ingredients to make the wine.

Mcinnes also proved with Aberdeen that you can lose in the Europa Cup to a team from Luxembourg.

Mcinnes also proved with Aberdeen that you can lose in the Europa Cup to a team from Luxembourg.

Yes his European record is not great.

I am not saying I want it to be McInnes but just that what he did with Aberdeen is no certainty he will do the same with Rangers. Personally I would rather have de Boer. The Belgian guy may be good as well but i don't think goalkeepers make good managers

Yes his European record is not great.

I am not saying I want it to be McInnes but just that what he did with Aberdeen is no certainty he will do the same with Rangers. Personally I would rather have de Boer. The Belgian guy may be good as well but i don't think goalkeepers make good managers

Not arguing whether they are, but you'd think they would as they must spend a lot of time standing and analysing the game... Especially when playing for a dominant team.

Not arguing whether they are, but you'd think they would as they must spend a lot of time standing and analysing the game... Especially when playing for a dominant team.

But so do you and I.

I did hear keepers are a different breed, think it was John Budgie Burridge who said it - himself is a bit off his rocker. He used to be our Premier League TV pundit and he was funny but you wouldnt want him managing your team.

I don't think a viable 'silver bullet' exists, it'll be re-building and stages.

For me, McInnes ticks more boxes than any other viable candidate I've heard mentioned.

Tin hat time.

But if Derek McInnes is the extent of our ambition.... and financial standing... then just turn out the lights now.

Derek McInnes vs Brendan Rodgers..... a boy against a man. And I don't even think Rodgers is that great.

Maybe I am just in a grouchy mood - but we are Rangers... we should be aiming higher than McInnes.

Oh well.... at least we should be able to be second for the foreseeable future :(

I don't think you can say that with any certainty as he has never had the budget that he will get with Rangers. If he has said he cannot compete with Celtic then it is with Aberdeen's budget. I don't think we have to tell McInnes that he has to compete with Celtic and that is the remit of his job.

Why will there be a problem with the DoF? The DoF works parallel to the manager and not stepping on the managers toes.

You think the DoF has any knowledge of McInnes having come from Man City ? THAT is the problem with the DoF.... if McInnes is appointed it is fairly safe to say that the DoF has had almost zero input into the appointment.

I'd agree but it would only buy McInnes 2 seasons. After that we'd be back to where we are right now. Our support wouldn't take 2nd best.

Agreed. And neither should we. Not after a few seasons after being out from under the feet of Whyte/Green/Ashley et al.