Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Not for me. I can see it as a DoF but not a football coach. One word: Experience.

Rodgers has ZERO top end experience as a player, and only a couple of years playing for much lesser teams - his Professional playing career was over by age 20, yet he has build at good reputation as a coach, and obviously getting results across the City. Also remember that he hasn't actually brought in that many players since arriving - he has mainly taken the players that were there & turned them into a cohesive unit. Whoda thought Boyata would be one of their best CB's - he was terrible under the last guy (who signed him)

As I said, the key thing about ANY coach regardless of the sport is being able to accurately get your info/plans across to the team/players. In some cases, experience can actually be a hindrance ie. "This is how I did it 20yrs ago/always done it....so we'll do it again now". Being separated from that potentially allows for a more analytical & critical view point - rather than accepting that "This is how it's done at all football clubs", it opens the door for "Why??"

On the flip side, it could turn out to be a complete mess......but then again, having experience doesn't negate that possible outcome.

You think the DoF has any knowledge of McInnes having come from Man City ? THAT is the problem with the DoF.... if McInnes is appointed it is fairly safe to say that the DoF has had almost zero input into the appointment.

Thats an excellent point, and one most people (myself included) are overlooking. If McInnes is thought by our DOF to be the very best our money can buy, then why did we waste money on a DOF when anyone could have made that call? If we are to get best value from our DOF, then this process has to have a good manager in place as an outcome, and not an obvious choice as predicted by the redtops one the day Pedro was sacked.

Thats an excellent point, and one most people (myself included) are overlooking. If McInnes is thought by our DOF to be the very best our money can buy, then why did we waste money on a DOF when anyone could have made that call? If we are to get best value from our DOF, then this process has to have a good manager in place as an outcome, and not an obvious choice as predicted by the redtops one the day Pedro was sacked.

The remit of the DoF goes way beyond input into a managerial selection process, of which he has doubtless been involved in.

Helping to put together a list of names that will have included McInnes,....might lead to an open-ended decision that probably won't be exclusively his to make. It could go for McInnes, having considered all those proposed and the criteria set. It might go elsewhere.

Edited by buster.

Still unsure about McInnes. Neither would I mind a figurehead who keeps the brunt of the attention a Rangers manager gets, while someone younger like Graham Potter of Östersunds ends his season in Sweden and is being brought in as "assistant" to take over in the summer (or as soon as it is deemed possible). Anyone "foreign" to the status of the club and what the job demands probably needs some time to acquaint himself to that ... and PLG and PC didn't get that and were thrown in at the deep end. PC more so than PLG.

As for Potter, he's still young (as was Souness with virtually no experience), yet has taken his team through the leagues as well and successfully into Europe, while working with peanuts. We#re on a different level, of course, but a Mourinho or Guardiola all started somewhere before taking over the big guns. Even a Gattuso, mind you!

Anyway, it will most likely end up with someone that will draw adverse reactions from some, and adolation from others.

Still unsure about McInnes. Neither would I mind a figurehead who keeps the brunt of the attention a Rangers manager gets, while someone younger like Graham Potter of Östersunds ends his season in Sweden and is being brought in as "assistant" to take over in the summer (or as soon as it is deemed possible). Anyone "foreign" to the status of the club and what the job demands probably needs some time to acquaint himself to that ... and PLG and PC didn't get that and were thrown in at the deep end. PC more so than PLG.

As for Potter, he's still young (as was Souness with virtually no experience), yet has taken his team through the leagues as well and successfully into Europe, while working with peanuts. We#re on a different level, of course, but a Mourinho or Guardiola all started somewhere before taking over the big guns. Even a Gattuso, mind you!

Anyway, it will most likely end up with someone that will draw adverse reactions from some, and adolation from others.

Graham Potter? Well, keeps a connection with Murty as another ex-York City player... Good to have a link with my home town! :D

He seems to be managing it fine just now

Nobody said he isn't - but there are no guarantees, not with this bunch of players and, indeed, not even if he brought his own players in. Far different being manager of Rangers than Aberdeen - the expectations alone could break a manager.

Östersunds didn't expect much and he delivered.

Different kettle of fish when expectations are clearly beyond the relative tools he has to work with.