Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

You know there is a manager we could almost certainly get if we wanted him. He's taken his current side from marooned at the foot of the table and relegation favourites to clear at the top of the table in less than 12 months, he's done that with around the fourth largest wage bill in the league. He's also served his time as a youth coach and assistant manager before stepping into the first team role. He'd a journeyman-like playing career in lower divisions in England and Scotland with some time in the top flight up here so knows the leagues and the players.

On top of that he's got a Honours Degree in Economics, wrote a weekly column for the BBC not-ghosted and was chairman of the Players Union. I've never heard his name mentioned in relation to us and I expect most would be horrified at him even being thought of.

Good post Craig - I won't reply to all of it... :)

The Sinclair thing really gets me as we've been talking about how we should not choose size over skill for at least 25 years. Why on earth did we employ him and follow that strategy?

However, which club can we look to that didn't do that and have produced more players? Serious question.

As for all the improvements, we've talked about many of them for many years to, and as you say Watford are ahead of us in this.

But that's my point, if Watford can do it and everyone else is doing it, what makes us different?

For a start it's harder for us - a club only needs to bring through players that are as good as their first team, which means the top teams will always produce less for themselves by the law of averages.

The only advantages I can see in Scotland that we have are:

We can accommodate more apprentices, due to a bigger budget and size of training complex (due to more income than the rest).

We can pay more for hopefully, better coaches.

We have more kids wanting to play for us. (As a bigger, more supported club and also supposedly with better coaches and facilities.) And so have more choice. (It can be a numbers game after all.)

We can pay for better equipment. (Although there is the law of diminishing returns. Spending twice as much on equipment, doesn't get you twice as good a player - eg a dumbbell just needs to be heavy to do the job, a cheap one will do.)

And that's all I can think of. However, that's competing against Scottish teams, the problem is that the likes of Watford have more money for this than we do, as do top clubs from other countries, as do Celtic.

So what is going on all sounds great but are we producing better graduates than ever before? All the best players we've produced, never had all that.

You know there is a manager we could almost certainly get if we wanted him. He's taken his current side from marooned at the foot of the table and relegation favourites to clear at the top of the table in less than 12 months, he's done that with around the fourth largest wage bill in the league. He's also served his time as a youth coach and assistant manager before stepping into the first team role. He'd a journeyman-like playing career in lower divisions in England and Scotland with some time in the top flight up here so knows the leagues and the players.

On top of that he's got a Honours Degree in Economics, wrote a weekly column for the BBC not-ghosted and was chairman of the Players Union. I've never heard his name mentioned in relation to us and I expect most would be horrified at him even being thought of.

Is the received wisdom not that when Mcinnes comes to Ibrox, he goes to Pittodrie?

I should know who it is but I don't :D

Enlightenment please JohnMc :thup:

Is the received wisdom not that when Mcinnes comes to Ibrox, he goes to Pittodrie?

Aberdeen approached Partick Thistle in the summer for permission to approach Archibald when they were sure McInnes was going to Sunderland. Whether he'd still be first choice is anyone's guess.

Aberdeen approached Partick Thistle in the summer for permission to approach Archibald when they were sure McInnes was going to Sunderland. Whether he'd still be first choice is anyone's guess.

Really, I didn't know that. When Mcinnes to Ibrox was "a done deal", the pundits musical chairs put Ross in Aberdeen.