Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Your final statement is the issue though buster. Much of the reason we have people wanting McInnes is to ensure second. Second isn't good enough... and, for clarity, I don't mean this season OR next season... but do you honestly believe that McInnes could win us the league if up against Rodgers for the next 3, 4 or 5 seasons ? I am not convinced, not at all.

We don't know if he would do a good job now, rebuilding either - better managers than McInnes have been at Rangers and Celtic and failed - just because he has been "successful" at Aberdeen where second is more than acceptable doesn't mean it is good enough for us.

Unless the financial circumstances are very different to what I can see (not to mention the board getting their act together) then 2nd place is as good as it will get for at least 2/3 years.........I don't think you should make an appointment looking further than 2/3 years down the track.

It's not only the ability of a manager that's the issue, it's the money to support him and then you have a celtic who are currently flush and could simply up go out and bring in more quality, if needed.

There needs to be a recognition that it'll take time to get back on track and getting to a level where we can overhaul celtic.

IMO if we continually look to take short-cuts, looking to win the title 'now' then we'll take longer to win it than if we build towrads it.

------------

All that said, who is your choice ?

Yes his European record is not great.

I am not saying I want it to be McInnes but just that what he did with Aberdeen is no certainty he will do the same with Rangers. Personally I would rather have de Boer. The Belgian guy may be good as well but i don't think goalkeepers make good managers

Not this again... Surely it's just a perception because there are fewer of them? Relatively speaking, there won't be a lot of them: there is 1 'keeper to every 10 outfield players.

There are plenty of good managers that were 'keepers: Slutsky is doing well with Hull, Santos has Wolves top of the table, and Lopetegui is the Spain manager. (Those are just off the top of my head.)

Although, I do think that defensive players seem to make the best managers - when you'd think it would be the more creative types? And, arguably the best manager around at the moment (Guardiola) was a Defensive-midfielder and sweeper at times.

Edited by Rousseau

You think the DoF has any knowledge of McInnes having come from Man City ? THAT is the problem with the DoF.... if McInnes is appointed it is fairly safe to say that the DoF has had almost zero input into the appointment.

Surely that's what the DoF has been doing, drawing up a list, which I expect DM to be on?

At this point I would take Gregor Townsend over the majority of those named , the majority of the job is player management and getting their heads right .

Football isnt rocket science .

At this point I would take Gregor Townsend over the majority of those named , the majority of the job is player management and getting their heads right .

Football isnt rocket science .

That actually passed through my head at the weekend :laugh:

It wasn't really serious but I'm sure he was well into football at one stage.

Is fast becoming one of rugby's best young coaches.

Right appointment and more importantly right signings. That means not wasting £3m on unfit Mexicans

This all starts at the top Rab.

Our board went with the experiment of Warburton. Quite rightly they bagged him when he began making overtures to an English club. Had it been up to me I'd have sacked him for performances and results alone.

What did our masters do then ? They employed the guy in charge of the 5th ranked team in the Quatari league and handed him a bag of money.

The question about that appointment has to be, how many bought with that cash have turned out to be a success ?

I'll be blunt here, the board are to blame for the state Rangers are in right now.

I don't blame our last manager. He worked to his abilities and I forecast shortly after his arrival that he'd be gone before Christmas. He did his best and exactly as I thought he'd do.

At this moment imo Rangers need decent jobbing players from the SPL if that's as far as the money goes these days. With the correct manager we'd still get to second best easily next season. Who that manager is I've no idea but really do despair at some of the names doing the rounds - most of them are fantasy as they aren't going to work for the budget they'll be allowed. Others have had their chance elsewhere are don't fill me with any hope.

McInnes would probably get us to second. But no further and euro income would be limited to one or two home gates.

Sad times.

The rugby discussion is interesting.

Scotland are doing very well right now and look impressive but it took years of hard work and patience from their bosses (and fans) to get where they are now - in terms of a better approach to the game, physical strength and the belief they can be better than teams like NZ and Australia.

Meanwhile, we give up at the first sign of any dropped points or a fall out with a player who doesn't share the coach's vision.

Edited by Frankie

Here's a left-field thought....

Why does our next coach/manager need to be an ex-player???

There are many, many examples over multiple sports where some of the best coaches have (in some cases) never even played the sport. In other cases, they have played at much lower levels - Brenda Rodgers being a very topical example...Pro career ended through injury @ 20yr old.

The key to being a successful coach is not always personal experience....it's an excellent understanding of the sport & an effective delivery method.

Here's a left-field thought....

Why does our next coach/manager need to be an ex-player???

There are many, many examples over multiple sports where some of the best coaches have (in some cases) never even played the sport. In other cases, they have played at much lower levels - Brenda Rodgers being a very topical example...Pro career ended through injury @ 20yr old.

The key to being a successful coach is not always personal experience....it's an excellent understanding of the sport & an effective delivery method.

Not for me. I can see it as a DoF but not a football coach. One word: Experience.