Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

In terms of Kilmarnock since the turn of the century they've appointed Bobby Williamson, Jim Jeffries, Jimmy Calderwood as a temporary appointment, Mixu Paatelinen, who'd managed Hibs badly and Cowdenbeath prior, Kenny Sheils who was a Tranmere youth coach, Allan Johnson from QOTS, Gary Locke, Lee Clark and Lee McCulloch. I mean compared to that lot Steve Clarke's CV reads like Alex Ferguson.

I don't know who I want to manage Rangers. There's not an obvious person. I understand why McInnes name is mentioned a lot but I don't think his CV is much better than Tommy Wright's. In the end I want a pragmatist who can make a team greater than the sum of its parts. If we can do that we can challenge Celtic. They'll continue to have better individual players than us for a few more seasons, but they don't have to have a better team. I just don't know who that person is. I don't know enough about the Belgian people are speaking about. I do think a grasp of Scottish football, or at least British football and footballers is essential. This is where we play and these are the teams we play against, knowing how to beat them in the short term is what we need. Europe can take care of itself when that time comes again.

I can't argue with that! I actually thought Lee Clark was a coup, just because he had managed at the top-end of the Championship, but he's drifted since; now managing Bury in League One, and currently sitting 23rd. I can see Clarke going down the same route, although it might be a tad early to predict that.

I agree with the need for a pragmatist, but I'd rather we go for someone who can take us to the next level, as well as bringing the pragmatic, winning mentality. Perhaps that is wishful thinking?

We are in a similar place we were in when we recruited PC.

We really can't afford another dud.

I think Wright and McInnes would both improve us but perhaps not to the extent required. I don't have a preferred choice but just hope the board get the right man this time.

Undecided whether it's good or bad that my greatest interest in McInnes is to see what he could do with a transfer budget which he will never get at the sheep pen. I would guess that budget would be a big attraction for him because he too will have an interest in seeing what he can do with a budget and a significant budget in SPL terms.

I think some of the media forget that Rangers actually have some moral standards when selecting managers. Lennon doesn't even come close to those standards

I don't think he's a good enough manager for us, but if he was I'd have no problem with it. Don't care about the baggage