The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

How many times must we let this happen. You get the impression our board (whoever is in charge) couldnt see a value in a player if their life depended on it. Hardie is a regular scorer at all levels up to international U21 and given our lack of goalscoring options (Morelos aside) he should have been given plenty of opportunities to make a name for himself. That we have given Miller about 70 games in the last 18 months and Hardie about 6 makes me sick.

If we lose him on a pre-contract we will regret it.

As for the others, Bates should command a fee, as should Wilson (no laughing at the back!), not sure about Thompson's development since that one first team chance he got a long time ago, and Nico and Miller should probably be released into the wild.

22 goals in 70 appearances. think its maybe more your giving him more credit than hes due

Harsh on Wilson who has been playing well of late. Was comfortably my MOTM last night.

He was outstanding last night, easily MOTM, and his best performance in a Rangers shirt by a country mile. IF he could reproduce that on a regular basis, I would have no worries about him, but he doesn't, and will be back to costing goals/chances soon. The evidence is, sadly, overwhelming since his return to the club that this will be the case.

This is something I'd really like to understand, but fear we never will. Why is Pena so out of the picture now? What is it that Murty sees that we don't? Pena is surely someone who needs to be involved. I'm utterly bemused by this. I've said a few times before that I've seen this guy play last year and he's better than anything else in Scotland right now, and when he played in those few games for us, he started to show that, and indeed he was our top midfield scorer and assisted more than anyone else. Why has it gone so badly for him?

It looks like a case of the youth coach not fancying him at all. If he can keep fit, the new manager (surely not long now!) may have a different view. Pete's comment in #160 sums it up perfectly I feel.

He was outstanding last night, easily MOTM, and his best performance in a Rangers shirt by a country mile. IF he could reproduce that on a regular basis, I would have no worries about him, but he doesn't, and will be back to costing goals/chances soon. The evidence is, sadly, overwhelming since his return to the club that this will be the case.
I though he was the best of a bad bunch v killie as well. Indeed his recent form st johnston asside has been good.

Pena is the kind you need to build a team around and I'm not sure we've got the players to do that just now. He needs hard working, hard running, ball winning players to allow him to find space, drop off and run late. Take Jack out of our side and we don't have anyone else like that. Holt works hard but he's more of a creative player, Windass and Candieas are more attacking types too. That just leaves McCrorie and it's a lot of responsibility to put on a young player. So when Jack, and Dorrans to a lesser extent, aren't available Pena becomes a player it's difficult to accommodate. I can't see him and Kranjcar in the same side as things stand either and I expect Niko will start against Celtic particularly if Jack is out.

Haven't seen him for a while, but I did see Hardie while we were playing U-21's at Dumbarton, & a few times when he was at Raith. I am no expert but I didn't see anything beyond a limited lower league forward whose conversion rate of chances-goals is never going to be anything special and certainly nowhere near good enough for Rangers.

I wouldn't rate him any higher than Calum Gallagher, for instance, over whom there was some gnashing of teeth but who certainly hasn't set any heather on fire since leaving.

Pena is the kind you need to build a team around and I'm not sure we've got the players to do that just now. He needs hard working, hard running, ball winning players to allow him to find space, drop off and run late. Take Jack out of our side and we don't have anyone else like that. Holt works hard but he's more of a creative player, Windass and Candieas are more attacking types too. That just leaves McCrorie and it's a lot of responsibility to put on a young player. So when Jack, and Dorrans to a lesser extent, aren't available Pena becomes a player it's difficult to accommodate. I can't see him and Kranjcar in the same side as things stand either and I expect Niko will start against Celtic particularly if Jack is out.

I would actually think on turning Wilson and McCrorie around and put Wilson in the midfield amd McCrorie in defence. I think Wilson is slightly more attacking minded than McCrorie and would drive forward more.

Tom MIller was actually saying that it might be worth thinking about putting Wilson into DM, as he can play some football, sprayed a few good passes about yesterday and can and likes to go foward. No final solution, but one to help us over the Jack and Dorrans injuries. ... Ouch. I just envisaged Murty playing a back-4 on Saturday, with McCrorie, Wilson and Holt in midfield. Murtynaccio ...

Tom MIller was actually saying that it might be worth thinking about putting Wilson into DM, as he can play some football, sprayed a few good passes about yesterday and can and likes to go foward. No final solution, but one to help us over the Jack and Dorrans injuries. ... Ouch. I just envisaged Murty playing a back-4 on Saturday, with McCrorie, Wilson and Holt in midfield. Murtynaccio ...

Could work, but you also have to factor in that he would have less time on the ball in midfield so may not be as effective

On a sidenote, 48 hours before the Scum game and first we had the Black Cats looking at Tavernier, now we have Championship clubs eyeing Windass ...

Rangers' @WindassJnr a January target for a couple of Championship clubs. Understand a bid already submitted by one of them #Rangers #RFC....Emma Dodds

It is being said there is a release clause (some half-decent ITK posters on FF say 3m), but we'll have to wait and see if there is anything into that.