The January Transfer Window Rumours and Deals Thread

I will spare you the names, but it is rather reminiscent of the state of the Premiership if you look how many players will be freebies next summer again. Most had one or two year deals with their teams, after being signed on a free themselves ...

Aberdeen - 6

Dundee -14

The Famous - 6 (Wilson, Bates, Thompson, Kranjcar, Miller, Hardie)

Hamilton - 10

Hearts - 7

Hibs - 2

Killie - 12

Motherwell - 10

Ross County - 12

St. Johnstone - 12

Thistle - 11

Scum - 2

Names can be found on the DR site http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-premiership-star-free-speak-11736945 ... or in more detail on Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1

Hardie out of contract at the end of the season? Every time I've seen Hardie play he looks like he can score goals. He doesn't look like he can do much else but scoring goals is a fairly valuable commodity on its own. How he hasn't had a proper run in our side, 6 or 7 games on from the start, to see if he can do it at first team level is beyond me. So now he can sign a pre-contract with someone else in five days time.

I suppose Murty must know him better than most and if he's not starting him then clearly the feeling at the club is he's not ready or not good enough. Neither reflects well on us. A 6'2" natural goalscorer, how'd we mess that up?

Hardie out of contract at the end of the season? Every time I've seen Hardie play he looks like he can score goals. He doesn't look like he can do much else but scoring goals is a fairly valuable commodity on its own. How he hasn't had a proper run in our side, 6 or 7 games on from the start, to see if he can do it at first team level is beyond me. So now he can sign a pre-contract with someone else in five days time.

I suppose Murty must know him better than most and if he's not starting him then clearly the feeling at the club is he's not ready or not good enough. Neither reflects well on us. A 6'2" natural goalscorer, how'd we mess that up?

How many times must we let this happen. You get the impression our board (whoever is in charge) couldnt see a value in a player if their life depended on it. Hardie is a regular scorer at all levels up to international U21 and given our lack of goalscoring options (Morelos aside) he should have been given plenty of opportunities to make a name for himself. That we have given Miller about 70 games in the last 18 months and Hardie about 6 makes me sick.

If we lose him on a pre-contract we will regret it.

As for the others, Bates should command a fee, as should Wilson (no laughing at the back!), not sure about Thompson's development since that one first team chance he got a long time ago, and Nico and Miller should probably be released into the wild.

IMHO, using but one central striker is more often than not a failing tactic for us. Both Hardie and Herrera are tall chaps, even though Hardie looks like every other SPFL centre half can easily break him in half (then again, Flo didn't look much more physical either). I'd have Morelos and Herrera starting tonight, with Hardie coming on later for either of them.

The only time we have looked coherent up front is when Pena is playing in the 10 slot. He has been the only one who has consistently linked up and looked to support the sole striker as a priority. Given Pena seems to have been binned by our youth coach, we should be playing 2 strikers.

James Tavernier could join younger brother Marcus in North East as Sunderland eye Rangers defender

Sunderland boss Chris Coleman is keen to bolster his defensive options

Rangers will listen to offers for Tavernier, who has 18 months left on his contract

The 26-year-old defender joined the Ibrox club from Wigan in 2015 for £200,000

By Simon Jones

Published: 18:19 GMT, 27 December 2017

Sunderland are interested in Rangers defender James Tavernier.

The 26-year-old, who joined the Ibrox club from Wigan Athletic in 2015 for £200,000, is open to a return to England where Championship rivals Reading have also expressed interest in signing him.

Sunderland manager Chris Coleman is keen to bolster his defensive options and wants a full-back who is comfortable going forward also.

Tavernier, who has made 25 appearances this season and scored four goals, has 18 months on contract and cash-strapped Rangers will listen to offers.

His 18-year-old younger brother Marcus has made the big breakthrough at Middlesbrough this season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5215907/Sunderland-eye-Rangers-defender-James-Tavernier.html

Tavernier is open to a return, Rangers will listen cause their are cash-strapped ... you read it there first!

Admittedly his appearance was fleeting last night but he was of the headless chicken variety. That said, he was no worse than Herrera who, at one point, actually beat himself and didn't know where the ball was :D

How many times must we let this happen. You get the impression our board (whoever is in charge) couldnt see a value in a player if their life depended on it. Hardie is a regular scorer at all levels up to international U21 and given our lack of goalscoring options (Morelos aside) he should have been given plenty of opportunities to make a name for himself. That we have given Miller about 70 games in the last 18 months and Hardie about 6 makes me sick.

If we lose him on a pre-contract we will regret it.

As for the others, Bates should command a fee, as should Wilson (no laughing at the back!), not sure about Thompson's development since that one first team chance he got a long time ago, and Nico and Miller should probably be released into the wild.

Harsh on Wilson who has been playing well of late. Was comfortably my MOTM last night.

The only time we have looked coherent up front is when Pena is playing in the 10 slot. He has been the only one who has consistently linked up and looked to support the sole striker as a priority. Given Pena seems to have been binned by our youth coach, we should be playing 2 strikers.

This is something I'd really like to understand, but fear we never will. Why is Pena so out of the picture now? What is it that Murty sees that we don't? Pena is surely someone who needs to be involved. I'm utterly bemused by this. I've said a few times before that I've seen this guy play last year and he's better than anything else in Scotland right now, and when he played in those few games for us, he started to show that, and indeed he was our top midfield scorer and assisted more than anyone else. Why has it gone so badly for him?

This is something I'd really like to understand, but fear we never will. Why is Pena so out of the picture now? What is it that Murty sees that we don't? Pena is surely someone who needs to be involved. I'm utterly bemused by this. I've said a few times before that I've seen this guy play last year and he's better than anything else in Scotland right now, and when he played in those few games for us, he started to show that, and indeed he was our top midfield scorer and assisted more than anyone else. Why has it gone so badly for him?

Sometimes as a trainer you get blinded what a person does on the training ground and not on the park.