[FT] Fraserburgh 0 - 3 Rangers (Windass 15pen, 55, 67)

While I will admit I watched this at the X6 speed (as I was out for my sons birthday dinner and recorded the game to watch when I got home) and it was still slow and turgid at that speed, I really cant get all the criticism of Nico last night when there were plenty of others who were worse. Halliday looked like Highland league was pushing his ability to the limit, Cummings, Holt, John, Hodson, Cardoso, were all much worse than Nico, who had a few nice touches, good vision, and won a few headers in our own box as well.

Yes his legs dont seem to be lasting matches, but if the likes of Windass ever gets to the talent level of Nico I will be absolutely amazed.

Anyway, I came on to post that I am getting more and more worried with every passing game we play against defensive teams that we really have no clue as a club how to break them down and get into good goalscoring positions. Given we play most of our league games against opponents of this type than not, we simply must find a way to do this. For all Murty can set a side up defensively not to get beaten, and we seem to be able to raise our game against better opponents, with Thistle, Ayr, Hamilton, all coming up after Hibs on Saturday, we will see if we can find a new way to win these easy games easily.

Docherty, Goss, Murphy and Cummings have all been signed to help us break down teams - primarily by giving us more than the usual option of passing to Tav or Candeias.

Cummings looks well short of fitness for now but I'm sure that will come.  The others should provide quality on the ball and that extra drive and pace to make us more dangerous in the final third.

I agree with you TB about the concern against the more defensive teams.  In open play against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts, I really fancy us to do well.  It's against the others where we struggle.

This needs to be the focus of our training and tactics because it is these games that will define our league position.

With Murphy and Candeias/Tav, we have players who can beat a player and get the ball in the box, but they can only do,this if they're given some space.  Against some of the teams near the bottom, we don't get this so we have to create it by switching the play quickly.  Switching of play is the secret to success in the 4-2-3-1 because the overloading takes place on the wings.  If one wing fails to be overloaded quickly enough, the ball needs to be switched.  Too many of our players run with the ball rather than play it quickly.  I really like Holt, but his first instinct seems to be to take a touch in the direction he plans to run with the ball, even if it's just two or three strides.  He's not the only one.  Even taking two or three strides takes valuable seconds and ruins the effectiveness of the switching of play.

Goss takes the ball with one foot and plays a direct pass with the other.  This is a critical skill we need to develop in our own players if we are to make this style work.  It's not actually that hard, but it does mean undoing bad habits that some players have developed.

The good news is that the spacing and movement of our players is much better now so we can at least make the switch.  We now need to execute it better.  Although Hibs will come at us this weekend, they are also one of the best teams at closing down space, so this will be a real test.  As well as enjoying the game (hopefully), I'll be looking out for how well we move the ball from side to side in an effort to open them up.  The better we do this, the better chances we will create.

We have had an eventful few weeks at the club and more importantly around the town,

so it is only correct that we place on record our thanks to each and every one of you who have helped in any way.

For fear of forgetting someone it is difficult to list the many who helped from both near and far but please know your help was highly appreciated.

Many thanks also to all the businesses and homes which had decorated their windows and gardens in the colours of the club and in some cases the colours of our opponents. It has been a fantastic sight going around the town and seeing what it means to everyone to have a football club at the heart of it.

If there was ever a reminder to us of our roots and to continue what we do, then this was it. It is genuinely heart-warming to think that our club has been the catalyst for all the good will and happy faces we have witnessed recently.

It has past now, and we move back to normality but with that we can take the memories with us and aim to try and replicate that feeling again.

In my own head I don’t think there is anybody prouder than me to be a Brocher but deep down I know that isn’t the case and what I have witnessed recently gives me confidence that we really do have a great town bubbling under the surface of all the negativity we hear sometimes.

As is always the case there are some who you can never please and who will find the pettiest of things to complain about, but that is life. We tried our best to do the right thing and unfortunately got abuse from some people but once they understood what we were trying to achieve they realised we were trying to look out for them.

However, from a very small section of people, we continued to get abuse and criticism and the bad side of social media makes it look worse than it really is. We could come out and say that we don’t care and if you don’t like it then tough, we don’t need you. That might be a reasonable response to some folk, but we won’t do that, it isn’t our style. We want as much people as possible to embrace the club and the town. We don’t get everything right and sometimes we don’t even get most things right, but we do try our best to do the right things in the hope that it works.

The Fraserburgh FC Supporters Club have done a marvellous job and I must thank Brian Topping, Kenny McDonald and Mike McLean for the fantastic amount of help they gave us in getting the tickets distributed.

The night of the space heaters might sound like a Science Fiction movie but in fact was one of the most humbling things I have ever witnessed and cemented my belief that we truly have a decent community. It was a shame that it didn’t work but it showed to us that we have help there when needed.

Rangers FC, The Scottish FA, Aberdeenshire Council and last but by no means least Police Scotland have all been unbelievably helpful. Without the help and support of you guys we would not have got off the ground. Every one of those organisations are made to look like cannon fodder with the amount of criticism they receive sometimes but we have nothing but respect and gratitude for them all. Nothing has been a problem for them.

To my fellow Directors and club officials, I thank you for all the hard work in getting the game hosted at Bellslea Park and subsequently being the great occasion, it was. I don’t think people realise how much work goes into the running of a football club and getting matches organised but even I was taken aback by the magnitude of work required for this. We got there though and can look back with pride.

Finally, to the players, coaching staff and management. You were the reason we were in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup and must thank you for that but more importantly the way you all conducted yourselves in the media storm that surrounded the game. It was great fun, but it was done in a professional way that portrayed the club in a good light to the watching nation. We can’t ask for more than that.

It was an occasion for everyone in the town and one we can all look back on fondly.

A million thanks !

Finlay Noble
A Very Proud Chairman 
Fraserburgh Football Club

Updated 21:16 - 2 Feb 2018 by Finlay Noble

A Broch insider told me yesterday that the attitude of Rangers players and management had been excellent and much appreciated by Fraserburgh. He reckoned Rangers win was comfortable.

This guy is a comparitively rare creature - a native non RC north easter who supports celtic.  Footballing reasons only. Having said that, I know another one. Both decent blokes