Pacific Quay Musings?

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

A good news story...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23294192.bbc-radio-scotland-listeners-20-per-cent-since-2021/

"The figures published by the research body Rajar, show that nearly 196,000 people have turned off the national broadcaster over the last 12 months. 

In the final quarter of 2021, 976,000 people were tuning in, but by the same time last year that had fallen to 780,000, a 20.1 per cent drop."

The accompanying comments section with the piece are very interesting.

Over the five years of this thread, I have alluded on a few occasions about the Smashy and Nicey aspect of PQ. Everywhere, particularly in it's football coverage; full of guys that have been in with the bricks for thirty years plus. Tony Blackburn, Dave Lee Travis, Fluff Freeman, .............. all breathless telling what Supermarkets they were due to open. RAB and Token Tam self promote book signings and charidee dinners.

They do not care, their lives are vastly different from the majority. As long as the exposure and the dosh continues to support the horse choking property portfolio and the school fees.

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

A good news story...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23294192.bbc-radio-scotland-listeners-20-per-cent-since-2021/

"The figures published by the research body Rajar, show that nearly 196,000 people have turned off the national broadcaster over the last 12 months. 

In the final quarter of 2021, 976,000 people were tuning in, but by the same time last year that had fallen to 780,000, a 20.1 per cent drop."

Many missing because of the lack of Big Dick !!

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

Many missing because of the lack of Big Dick !!

Gordon was a very good broadcaster in his early years at Sportsound. He was an Aberdeen supporter. Fair enough. Born and brought up there, was he not? 

The notorious Sebo transfer incident was fed to him by a producer. Gordon said something to the effect that he would need to check with the producer before he read out the message and then that he had been given the go ahead. So, on the night he was by no means entirely to blame though he could have made his own decision not to read it.

It was a disgraceful episode worthy of sackings. In their excitement the poisonous creatures thought they were insulting Rangers. In fact they were grossly insulting a young man plying his trade as best he could in a foreign country. Gordon and his programme went rapidly downhill after that.

10 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Gordon was a very good broadcaster in his early years at Sportsound. He was an Aberdeen supporter. Fair enough. Born and brought up there, was he not? 

The notorious Sebo transfer incident was fed to him by a producer. Gordon said something to the effect that he would need to check with the producer before he read out the message and then that he had been given the go ahead. So, on the night he was by no means entirely to blame though he could have made his own decision not to read it.

It was a disgraceful episode worthy of sackings. In their excitement the poisonous creatures thought they were insulting Rangers. In fact they were grossly insulting a young man plying his trade as best he could in a foreign country. Gordon and his programme went rapidly downhill after that.

We (as a society) have become far too precious about name calling and certain types of humour.

Once new rules, norms and standards feed into a society, we are our own worst enemies because we look to enforce them to the nth degree when within particular rivalries, eg. Rangers and Celtic. The small picture becomes important, we lose sight of the bigger picture and as generations pass the past can be moulded into whatever. 

Some changes are generally an improvement, a welcome evolution of sorts. But what we have seen, at least over most of my lifetime, constitutes an assault on free speech and an effort to make sheep of as many as possible.

The gist of it is that there is something far more important than Sportsound going rapidly downhill.

ps. Not holding myself up as anything as I have entered into the trap myself. Just a stand back and reflect moment.

Edited by buster.

36 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Scott7 what was the Sebo incident? I missed that entirely.

Sportsound was broadcasting during the last two hours of a transfer window. Gordon was presenting and making a good job of it. In the last minutes he said something was coming in but he would have to check with the producer if he could announce it. He then said he had the producer’s approval and told the audience an offer had been made for Felip Sebo by Edinburgh Zoo.

I speculate the “message” was planted by one of the production staff and endorsed by the producer rather than dreamed up by Gordon himself.

@buster.posts sensibly above. We are all too quick to take offence. If Sebo’s teammates had said it to his face in jocular fashion or if supporters of any club had been saying it among themselves in derision, it would not matter one bit. But it was wrong to broadcast it. If they had said a scout from Rangers had been seen at the rhinoceros enclosure at the zoo, that would have been acceptable as a comment on the club’s style of play, a comment that listeners might or might not have agreed with. There was no need to single out for insult a young foreigner who unlike Gascoigne, for example, had hardly any profile other than not being very successful.

Speaking about rhinos, can you imagine the demented press coverage Don Kitchenbrand would get?

If I remember correctly Sebo scored a decent winning goal against Aberdeen .

I remember one person in the stand talking about Sebo and saying fuck me we bought Roger Hynd’s love child 

Edited by compo

3 hours ago, buster. said:

We (as a society) have become far too precious about name calling and certain types of humour.

I find it easier to let it go when I'm not paying for it.

Rangers supporters should not pay the BBC licence fee.

33 minutes ago, compo said:

If I remember correctly Sebo scored a decent winning goal against Aberdeen .

I remember one person in the stand talking about Sebo and saying fuck me we bought Roger Hynd’s love child 

One of those pent up emotional last minute winners.

His heart was in the right place, even if his feet often weren't.