1 minute ago, craig said:

We really need to go 3-5-2 at Ibrox which allows us to continue to use wingers, but with 3 proper CM's in there too.

Certainly worth trying for a few games anyway

Just now, pete said:

Certainly worth trying for a few games anyway

Opposing teams invariably (Celtic aside) play a form of 4-5-1 against us when they come to Ibrox.  So the need for 4 defenders isn't there (though some could say that Tav plays further forward in the 4 anyway - however, he is still part of a back 4 and when he gets forward that leaves a lack of balance at the back).

Playing 3-5-2 allows you to play 3 proper defenders, 3 proper CM's and 2 wingers and 2 up top.  The good thing about the 3-5-2 with out current personnel is that both Murphy & Candeias happily help out defensively so rather than the back 3 being exposed, with those two helping out defensively you, at times, have a back 5 (only when and if needed) but more importantly, you don't get over-run in midfield. As well as that, you also have 2 strikers on the pitch.

One thing we know.... at Ibrox something needs to change because whatever we are using just now clearly isn't working...

11 minutes ago, pete said:

Murty has had a handful of games and a lot less cash. You are right you cannot compare them but good managers can and do drop points and that was my point, not comparing the teams

I'm less worried about dropping points than the tactical direction of the team.

Saturday was crying out for a change after 20 minutes, but Murty waited until 70 minutes, and not for the first time. The team is being hamstrung by the directions and formation from the sidelines.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

I'm less worried about dropping points than the tactical direction of the team.

Saturday was crying out for a change after 20 minutes, but Murty waited until 70 minutes, and not for the first time. The team is being hamstrung by the directions and formation from the sidelines.

I agree with that and it is a weak point with Murty. He also seems to have a preference for certain players. Taking Holt and Candeias off instead Windass and John and going to a 3 at the back really shocked me and in the end was suicide as our midfield disintegrated.

Several Bears around me were shouting for changes before half-time.  Waiting until 70 minutes to make substitutions was useless.  

Docherty and Cummings should've been given a good 1/2 hour, at least.  

15 minutes ago, pete said:

Watching the highlights again what is disappointing was the effort from Candeias to redeem his mistake. He just jogged back instead of bursting a gut to get back.

Strangely enough, I remember that he once burst a gut to chase down a Hibs attacker after he lost a ball further up the park and Tav (again) nowhere near the Hibs chap. And Candeias does track back rather often

10 minutes ago, pete said:

I agree with that and it is a weak point with Murty. He also seems to have a preference for certain players. Taking Holt and Candeias off instead Windass and John and going to a 3 at the back really shocked me and in the end was suicide as our midfield disintegrated.

Sorry, but Hibs were able to pick us off with  four at the back easily enough. Reducing these numbers further would have seen Murphy dropping back even more often than he already did. Can't understand the problem people had with John. He was far more productive and dangerous that day alongside Murphy than the other wing. The main problem was the lack of target men up front, as Morelos was closely marked and Windass in Miller-style here there and everywhere. I would have swapped Holt for Docherty and Windass for Cummings at HT or after 60 mins.

39 minutes ago, craig said:

We really need to go 3-5-2 at Ibrox which allows us to continue to use wingers, but with 3 proper CM's in there too.

Like ...

Foderingham

Martin - Alves - Cardoso

McCrorie

Candeias - Doherty - Goss/Jack - Murphy

Cummings - Morelos

... with McCrorie, Goss and Doherty in central midfield and McCrorie the "sweeper" in front of the back three but like Docherty a license to join the attack?

Edited by der Berliner