[FT] Partick Thistle 0 - 2 Rangers (Windass 39; Tavernier 59)

54 minutes ago, craig said:

So wait.... It is perfectly reasonable for fans to "criticize" (remember, one man's criticism is another man's abuse) Windass - but he isn't at liberty to gesture towards those same fans when he produces a goal ?

How fickle we are as fans when we deem that it is only acceptable for the fans to have carte blanche to criticize and abuse players and the players have no right of rebuttal.

Poor wee souls that we are.  It is ridiculous.

Didn’t say he wasn’t at liberty to do that. I said that he knew the consequences when he did. He scored one goal and then tells his own fans to shut up? Crack on Josh but don’t complain when you get slaughtered for your next bad pass or game.

16 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Didn’t say he wasn’t at liberty to do that. I said that he knew the consequences when he did. He scored one goal and then tells his own fans to shut up? Crack on Josh but don’t complain when you get slaughtered for your next bad pass or game.

but he has scored several important goals so far this season....several times being the only scorer, yet gets pelters from the fans for poor performances etc.

I think he's perfectly entitled to respond & I see nothing wrong with his "gesture".

The fans wanted more from him....he gave them a goal to put us in front.  What more can he do???

Out of interest, anyone know what impact it would have on results/table position if Windass' goals were removed???

3 minutes ago, Darthter said:

but he has scored several important goals so far this season....several times being the only scorer, yet gets pelters from the fans for poor performances etc.

I think he's perfectly entitled to respond & I see nothing wrong with his "gesture".

The fans wanted more from him....he gave them a goal to put us in front.  What more can he do???

Out of interest, anyone know what impact it would have on results/table position if Windass' goals were removed???

My point was him getting it tight because he is anonymous for large parts of most games. He hides and would not go in for a tackle even at 70/30 in his favour. Most fans at the games see this. They/we pay our money and have every right to tell him he is garbage when he is (which is a lot). Him gesturing to his own fans is his choice. He knows what the reaction will be, I’m only explaining it.

FWIW i think Windass has some qualities but gesturing to the fans to shut up won’t win him many friends in the stands.

I think we have always had players like Bates who weren't so great on the ball but defensively competent even when we were trying to attract the cream of world football.  It reminds me of a quip made by Walter Smith when asked a question about Scott Nisbet.

Smith replies "every pass is an adventure" 

8 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

They/we pay our money and have every right to tell him he is garbage when he is (which is a lot).

but he doesn't have the right to respond???  and if he does, folk get even more wound up....bit of an imbalance there.

How would the situation unfold if you started yelling at the cashier in Sainsburys, coz they weren't scanning yer messages through quick enough, telling them that they're useless at their job???  I'm sure you'd probably be removed from the store, yet it's a similar situation - just because you are paying for your messages, doesn't give you the right to verbally abuse the cashier.

10 minutes ago, Darthter said:

but he doesn't have the right to respond???  and if he does, folk get even more wound up....bit of an imbalance there.

How would the situation unfold if you started yelling at the cashier in Sainsburys, coz they weren't scanning yer messages through quick enough, telling them that they're useless at their job???  I'm sure you'd probably be removed from the store, yet it's a similar situation - just because you are paying for your messages, doesn't give you the right to verbally abuse the cashier.

I have no idea how to respond to that?O.o. Pay Windass £7.50 ph and I won’t shout at him.

While he is getting thousands per week and playing garbage he is getting it tight. My only point again is if he thought that was a bright thing to do (and Windass May have?) then he was wrong. No point in shooting the messenger, it is what it is.

Edited by cooponthewing

Just now, cooponthewing said:

I have no idea how to respond to that?O.o. Pay the Windass £7.50 ph and I won’t shout at him.

While he is getting thousands per week and playing garbage he is getting it tight.

How much he's getting paid is completely irrelevant (in this case).  

While Windass may not be performing amazingly for the whole match, he is popping up at key moments & either getting a goal or providing assists.

Take a look at Lionel Messi's performances throughout a match - invisible for large periods, but comes alive for a couple of seconds/minutes & goal!!! (Note: I'm not saying Windass is anywhere near Messi).  Given that being the case....would you have Messi in the team & would you still expect him to get dogs abuse???

Giving Windass abuse isn't going to make him any better and in fact the opposite may be the case.  Windass can only do his best and i'm sure he gives it his best every time, it makes no sense to abuse him for not being world class.

He doesn't pick the team, he's only in it because the manager wants him there and speaking of that it's pretty obvious why.  He's one of the highest scorers in the league and of those who have more goals than he does only one is not a striker.

In the highest scorers list he has more assists than anybody.  As has been mentioned he's not Lionel Messi but he's doing a job and a crucial job at that.  If not for his goal yesterday it could have been an entirely different game.

His gesture was understandable given the abuse he has been getting and the contribution he is making and the gesture could hardly have been any milder.