David Bates rejects contract offer

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Has he really declined a final offer from the Club?

Or is it merely a case of player and Club in early stages of negotiations?  

In either case, I am inclined to trust the Football Department, which seems, at the moment, well, trustworthy. 

I quite like Bates as a defender, a stopper, but he's no Beckenbauer. 

I agree that we are building some trust in the DoF these days.  There is obviously money to spend on securing the best players.  Bates is decent but he's got a long way to go before he'll be a first team regular.  If Alves was fit, or McCrorie was fit, he wouldn't be in the team.  I think Bates is right to negotiate the best deal he possibly can, obviously, but equally he has to think what's right for him in terms of playing time.  I like him but I don't think he's likely to make it with us.  Maybe he'd be best playing with another club where he's likely to play each week.  I would love him to prove me wrong, but he will need time to do that.  I'd like him to get a year extension, or two at the very most, and see if he can grow into a first team player.

Edited by Gaffer

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

He’s a decent physical presence at the back but I’ll get excited by David Bates when he develops an ability to pass the ball. His distribution is truly woeful. 

I don't  think anyone is getting excited by Bates, but he is currently one of our best CBs' and has a couple of MOTM awards in there, he is a young player who could develop into a very decent CB.

36 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I don't  think anyone is getting excited by Bates, but he is currently one of our best CBs' and has a couple of MOTM awards in there, he is a young player who could develop into a very decent CB.

Would you give him more than 18 months on a contract though Ian?  I agree with what you've said.  I like him and he's done a decent job for us, but I can't see him developing enough to keep other players out.  If we keep progressing financially the way we are, you'd like to think we could afford a strong centre half.  I just don't see him being in our first team next season if that's the case.

8 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Would you give him more than 18 months on a contract though Ian?  I agree with what you've said.  I like him and he's done a decent job for us, but I can't see him developing enough to keep other players out.  If we keep progressing financially the way we are, you'd like to think we could afford a strong centre half.  I just don't see him being in our first team next season if that's the case.

I will leave all the decisions to the professionals, they will decide if Bates gets a new deal and how long for, I am merely giving an opinion that he looks a decent prospect, luckily we don't have to make these decisions.

But aye! if it was my decision then he deserves a chance to continue his development, however as you say we don't know if we will be able to sign the quality of CB that you, us, want!.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

We need, as a club, a core of capable Scottish players, with an idea about what playing for Rangers means. He’s a defender that has proven he can defend , let’s keep him.