David Bates rejects contract offer

I watched Dumbarton's game against The New Saints in the Irn-Bru Cup Semi-final -- on welsh TV... :facepalm: -- because I was intrigued to see Wilson and Burt. It turns out Wilson has barely played, and wasn't involved at all. 

Burt came on and looked lively; nimble, aggressive dribbler, and always looked to get in-behind. He really made things happen when he came on. They were 0-1 down when he came on and went on to win 2-1, reaching their first 'final' for over 100 years! A couple of superb goals too! A Cyrpiot player blasted a central free-kick from 25 yards, the ball moving every which way, into the net; the 'keeper was routed to the spot.

I was surprised there are actually a few former Rangers players playing for Dumbarton: Calum Gallagher, Kyle Hutton, Tom Walsh, there's a Gallagher in goals that I think played for us, and the two boys on loan. Strange.

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I watched Dumbarton's game against The New Saints in the Irn-Bru Cup Semi-final -- on welsh TV... :facepalm: -- because I was intrigued to see Wilson and Burt. It turns out Wilson has barely played, and wasn't involved at all. 

Burt came on and looked lively; nimble, aggressive dribbler, and always looked to get in-behind. He really made things happen when he came on. They were 0-1 down when he came on and went on to win 2-1, reaching their first 'final' for over 100 years! A couple of superb goals too! A Cyrpiot player blasted a central free-kick from 25 yards, the ball moving every which way, into the net; the 'keeper was routed to the spot.

I was surprised there are actually a few former Rangers players playing for Dumbarton: Calum Gallagher, Kyle Hutton, Tom Walsh, there's a Gallagher in goals that I think played for us, and the two boys on loan. Strange.

You know that Dumbarton actually comes from the Scottish Gaelic Dùn Breatainn meaning "fort of the Brythons (Britons)", being the main seat of power of the Britons of Strathclyde, it's Ancient British name being Alclud. So one can expect them to be staunch B|:smokin:

As for Bates ... do keep in mind that we have next to no info bar the rumours from the OP. Maybe we wait till anything factual comes to the fore?

3 hours ago, trublusince1982 said:

Not worth more than a £1000 a week. Cardoso is a better all round player happy to see him get a chance plus Alves should be back soon so bates will be third or fourth choice.

Short term thinking here.

we do not have one solid Cb in the team, Bates has been playing well but can still have his moments, Martin is a leader but dodgy with the ball at his feet, Alves has his eye on the WC in the summer and Cardoso still needs coached through the Scottish game. 

I would play McCrorie and Martin when McCrorie is fit but for now keep Bates or Cardoso with Martin as both of them will need someone to coach them through it. 

Alves, I wouldn't play him again

As for his contract, I expect most players to reject the first offer. He will sign a new deal. 

Edited by PierreFanFan

21 hours ago, SlimJim said:

We need, as a club, a core of capable Scottish players, with an idea about what playing for Rangers means. He’s a defender that has proven he can defend , let’s keep him.

I'm agreeing that we should keep him, but all I'm suggesting is that if it was me I'd not be giving him a longer contract.  As Ian says though, the powers at be in the club will know what the right move is, but it doesn't stop me or others on here offering an opinion.  Many of us are happy to give opinions even on subjects we know nothing about :/