Rangers (Murphy; Martin) 2 - 0 Hearts

2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Beaton is the referee tomorrow:facepalm:

We need to play well enough to make the referee irrelevant. I know we’ve had some awful decisions against us, and we’ve also been on the wrong end of the 50/50 decisions (more often than not) but I feel we only have ourselves to blame in defeat. I hope tomorrow there’ll be no excuses, least of all ones that involve refereeing decisions. I’m going for a tidy and industrious 2-0 to the famous! 

57 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

We need to play well enough to make the referee irrelevant. I know we’ve had some awful decisions against us, and we’ve also been on the wrong end of the 50/50 decisions (more often than not) but I feel we only have ourselves to blame in defeat. I hope tomorrow there’ll be no excuses, least of all ones that involve refereeing decisions. I’m going for a tidy and industrious 2-0 to the famous! 

Normally I would agree with you mate but we would have to have been in a different universe to beat Hibs when Beaton refereed the Hibs game.

32 minutes ago, pete said:

Normally I would agree with you mate but we would have to have been in a different universe to beat Hibs when Beaton refereed the Hibs game.

Yes and no. Absolutely atrocious by Beaton in that game, he got a lot wrong and ruined the game (especially with Jack’s sending off) but again, we should have avoided the handbags in the aftermath of the tackle on Dorrans. Dorrans is a big boy and can handle himself, as he did that day, we didnt need Jack to come running in to protect him  - at least not in that particular situation. Jack didn’t do anything wrong - as we all know or at least nothing worse than Stokes, but why give the referee a decision to make - we know they’re not very good with situations like that. So all I’m saying is that sending off was avoidable and had it not happened we’d have won. 

9 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Yes and no. Absolutely atrocious by Beaton in that game, he got a lot wrong and ruined the game (especially with Jack’s sending off) but again, we should have avoided the handbags in the aftermath of the tackle on Dorrans. Dorrans is a big boy and can handle himself, as he did that day, we didnt need Jack to come running in to protect him  - at least not in that particular situation. Jack didn’t do anything wrong - as we all know or at least nothing worse than Stokes, but why give the referee a decision to make - we know they’re not very good with situations like that. So all I’m saying is that sending off was avoidable and had it not happened we’d have won. 

Putting it that way I will agree with that. Jack really needs learn to walk away from things like that. In saying that in the name of the big Yin. let the one who has never sinned cast the first stone. I am not that person.

The excitement about today's game started as soon as I opened my eyes this morning.  I hope the players were the same.

Theres one thing I'll be looking out for today and I'm sure many of us are the same.  We MUST start playing when the whistle goes, and not wait until Hearts score.  I can accept us not playing well.  I can accept us being outplayed. What I can't acccept is us not being up for the game and starting it with the effort and determination we need to win.

So come on Rangers.  Start this game strongly and we will do well today.

With the Old Firm clash two weeks away, Murty said: “Let’s be realistic. We’re still in the very early stages of a push towards the top of the league table.

“We’ve been in this situation before and not managed to complete a run as we’d have liked.

“At the end of the season, if we’re talking about a good season, fantastic. But there’s still a lot of football to be played.

“If we’re pushing towards the end of the season, it will be as a result of us concentrating solely on the next game.

“That’s not me decrying anything or telling people not to think about the success. Think about it all you want.

“But, in-house, we’ll purely be considering the next game and making sure we have a positive end to the season.

“I’ve said to the players that we don’t want to be sitting at the end of it looking back on opportunities missed or points dropped. We want to accelerate into the end of the season.

“If we take some things we’ve been doing recently and improve, we’ll put ourselves in good shape.

“I think it’s good for the league that we’re still talking about challenges at this time of the season.

“Teams are taking points off one another in a way that hasn’t necessarily happened in the last few years.

Hibernian have taken points off us, we’ve taken points off Aberdeen.

Kilmarnock have taken points off Celtic. It’s going to be down to very fine margins.

“What we have to make sure is that we look at the season as a whole.

“We’re getting closer but we’re not where we want to be yet.

“We’re moving in the right direction but the evolution of this group of players will be revealed at the end.”

Gers have hit 11 goals in back-to-back away wins but have often struggled at Ibrox this season, including a 0-0 draw with the Jambos.

Meanwhile, Jason Holt returns from suspension for the visit of his former club and Bruno Alves is back in contention again after a calf problem.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2275293/rangers-graeme-murty-celtic-aberdeen/

18 hours ago, DMAA said:

Tomorrow's match for me will settle the question of whether we will see a title race (of sorts) this season.

The optimist's hope is that post January transfer window we are much improved and can push an injury plagued and off-the-boil Celtic all the way. The pessimists insist we have no real reason to think that we are that different to before the window.

We've played 5 league games since coming back against both ends of the table. We've played against 3rd and 4th and 10th, 11th and 12th. 

Wins against the bottom 3 should be par for the course (especially by a margin of only 1 and 2).

1 win and 1 loss against 3rd and 4th at home is the reason we're not sure where we are and why the realists probably lean towards the pessimist's view.

A good win tomorrow will arguably prove the optimistic right. A scraped win will probably leave us still undecided but anything less than 3 points pretty much proves the pessimists right.

Hope to see another good attacking performance with good service for Alfredo.

Since getting back to the top tier we've managed to win 4 league games in a row twice. Both towards the end of the calender year (2016 and 2017). The first under Warburton and then more recently, under Murty. On neither occasion did it signal a major change for the better as we reverted to type with the latter bookended by two defeats on either end.

Four wins from five league games post winter break is fairly good but back in the day, our teams that went on to win the Championship would have probably have won all five.  

Inconsistency in the league has been the consistent aspect of our results and it is this that needs to change for us to go up a level and challenge.

In the top tier it isn't easy to achieve and there is now no team without their achilles heel. Ironicaly, Celtic's best winning run of league games this season is only 3 (less than our 4), Aberdeen are at 4 and the winners of the Kilmarnock v Hibs game today, will be at 4.

What we now have is a reasonably competitive league that is difficult for anyone to put together a long winning run. However, this presents an opportunity for a team that could raise their game over a couple of months and win 7 or 8 on the spin.

Are we good enough to do it ?

Most of the evidence points to a no but IF we can win our next three (Hearts, St.Johnstone and Celtic) then we'll have turned a significant corner.

It's a big IF and first we have to break down the Hearts defence with the old high tempo fitbaw.

Edited by buster.