[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 4 Rangers (Tavernier 12 pen; Windass 25; Goss 41; Morelos 56)

Seething St Johnstone keeper Alan Mannus has hit out at ref Steven McLean for his performance in their defeat to Rangers .

The Northern Irishman was left raging at the penalty award that handed Gers the breakthrough in Tuesday’s 4-1 Perth stroll.

Mannus was penalised for bringing down Alfredo Morelos but is adamant he touched the ball and a corner should have been awarded instead.

The goalie said: “I didn’t think it was a penalty. I felt the ball touch my leg.

“He has touched it first and it has touched my leg then we’ve gone into each other so it’s not a penalty.

“What am I meant to do? Just move out of the way for him once it has touched my leg? We were looking at the replay to see if it was clear the ball did touch me.

“We couldn’t see if it was clear but I was certain it did so for me it was a corner and not a penalty.”

Boss Tommy Wright also claimed after the game that McLean got the free-kick award wrong for the third Gers goal.

Murray Davidson was ruled to have fouled Jamie Murphy and Mannus said: “I didn’t see the incident clearly but everyone in our changing room didn’t think it was a free-kick.

“I’ve not seen a replay but again it’s another decision. So the first goal isn’t a penalty and the third goal isn’t a free-kick.

“Over the course of the first half we still weren’t good enough. But that would have taken away two of their goals.”

Saints now face a huge game at home to fellow strugglers Hamilton on Saturday with Accies just two points behind them having played a game less.

Mannus said: “We’ll have to start the game better. It’s massive and Hamilton are going to be up for it.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone-keeper-alan-mannus-12105847

14 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Seething St Johnstone keeper Alan Mannus has hit out at ref Steven McLean for his performance in their defeat to Rangers .

The Northern Irishman was left raging at the penalty award that handed Gers the breakthrough in Tuesday’s 4-1 Perth stroll.

Mannus was penalised for bringing down Alfredo Morelos but is adamant he touched the ball and a corner should have been awarded instead.

The goalie said: “I didn’t think it was a penalty. I felt the ball touch my leg.

“He has touched it first and it has touched my leg then we’ve gone into each other so it’s not a penalty.

“What am I meant to do? Just move out of the way for him once it has touched my leg? We were looking at the replay to see if it was clear the ball did touch me.

“We couldn’t see if it was clear but I was certain it did so for me it was a corner and not a penalty.”

Boss Tommy Wright also claimed after the game that McLean got the free-kick award wrong for the third Gers goal.

Murray Davidson was ruled to have fouled Jamie Murphy and Mannus said: “I didn’t see the incident clearly but everyone in our changing room didn’t think it was a free-kick.

“I’ve not seen a replay but again it’s another decision. So the first goal isn’t a penalty and the third goal isn’t a free-kick.

“Over the course of the first half we still weren’t good enough. But that would have taken away two of their goals.”

Saints now face a huge game at home to fellow strugglers Hamilton on Saturday with Accies just two points behind them having played a game less.

Mannus said: “We’ll have to start the game better. It’s massive and Hamilton are going to be up for it.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone-keeper-alan-mannus-12105847

This is just the start of the press ensuring a 12th man for the Old Firm match.

51 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

They're right about the Referee being poor, but not with those incidents; both were correct. 

Did they forget about the kick at Bates?

And the disallowed goal where Bates had a St Johnstone player growing on his arm.

On a wee sidenote ... Morelos floored one of their players with an elbow in the jaw. You could only see it from one slow-mo angle and unless you saw that, it looked very much like both jumping for the ball and the latter caught the Saints chap badly in the face. Wasn't spotted by anyone either, not even the media, which was strange.

As for Mannus' talk ... opposition players tend to have a rather "objective opinion" on incidents against them, as we all know. That lunge at Murphy in the first half, when two players jumped into his feet and ending up hurting one another (Davidson was the one laying about afterwards) was sure not spoken of either? Bates was sure pulled to the ground in the stramash where we nearly scored again ... and you wonder why that goal was disallowed? It wasn't offside and their goalie was sure not more impeeded as Foderingham was at their strike?

But what can you say about blown-up headlines and articles that are based on:

“I’ve not seen a replay but again it’s another decision. ..."

So he hasn't actually seen the incident again, but his comments are turned to an argument against us? Wow, that's journalism indeed ...

If the ‘keeper had been 50/50 for the ball and Moreles had clattered him he’d have been greetin’ for a free kick.

I don’t subscribe to this “got a bit of the ball” nonsense. If it’s accomplished by breenging into the tackle like an elephant run amok it’s a foul.

I sense there’s a degree of fear developing in the yahoo camp. They’re struggling to grind out results while we’re blowing the opposition out of the water in high scoring rampages.

See, we were the naughty ones and Murphy actually injured Davidson ... I tell you! Well, actually Tommy Wright does ... or the DR make it a little more sensational:

Tommy Wright hits back at Rangers winger Jamie Murphy and insists they were the dirty side

St Johnstone boss pinpoints Alfredo Morelos elbow and Murphy standing on Murray Davidson.

Tommy Wright has hit back at Jamie Murphy ’s criticism of St Johnstone’s rough play – claiming his side were the victims against Rangers.

The Ibrox winger said he was left “frustrated and angry” by the home team’s tackling after limping out of Rangers ’ 4-1 midweek win at McDiarmid Park.

But the St Johnstone boss countered by highlighting an Alfredo Morelos elbow that floored Saints defender Steven Anderson and a Murphy tackle that forced Wright to replace Murray Davidson.

Wright said: “I was surprised to read quotes about Rangers being angry with our tackling and claiming it was robust.

“We haven’t been moaning about it. But if anything we should have complaints, especially for the Morelos challenge on Anderson.

“Rangers gave away more fouls than we did. But there wasn’t one bad foul in the game. If anything I’d have wanted my players to have made more tackles.

“Murray took a knock and had to come off. But he will be fine for Hamilton. He got stood on by Jamie Murphy after a challenge.

“I don’t think it was anything other than accidental but his foot has landed on Murray’s knee and he took a sore one.

“It’s unfortunate when players pick up knocks but these things happen.

“Rangers were clinical and you have to give them a lot of credit for that. But we should have done better defensively at some of their goals and we were punished.

“I’m not a great fan of stats. They don’t win you games. But we had good possession, as many shots as them and more corners.

“But in both boxes Rangers were better than us and showed the quality they have.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-wright-hits-back-rangers-12113333

Well ... methinks Davidson hurt himself when he and  another Saint jumped in on Murphy and collided with one another, rather than Murphy, who still took a knock. Davidson soon after had another rash challenge ... and methinks both went unpunished? It's all about perspective, as we have seen with Mannus' stuff above.