[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 4 Rangers (Tavernier 12 pen; Windass 25; Goss 41; Morelos 56)

28 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

No-one "hates" Windass. He's hit peak form with regards to goals and in parts with consistent application for 90 mins. Not exactly expectable after the first half of the season, same with Tavernier.

Made a point before the game that we might try Cummings in the shadow striker or even second striker role instead of having Windass making runs. Some will argue that Windass shot this argument down in flames ... yet, we threw Cummings on late (again) when the game was won yet we lost some cohesion and he, much like Windass were all over the place, because our balance was off when Candeias and later on Murphy went off. The more critical point is that while both Morelos and Windass do a phantastic job, hand either or both of them an injury and we are left with people who have hardly played for any lengthy spell (in our current system). IMHO, last night was tailor-made for throwing on Herrera and Cummings after 60 mins (at the latest) ... in place of Morelos and Windass. Maybe we see either from the start against Falkirk, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In any case, as long as Windass, Murphy and Morelos keep Miller out of the starting line up, I'm okay. (Well, I don't mind their assists and goals either, of course B| )

He's certainly got his detractors, though!

I think the point is we have to change the system if we don't have Windass; we have very few, if any, that can directly replace him.  

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He's certainly got his detractors, though!

I think the point is we have to change the system if we don't have Windass; we have very few, if any, that can directly replace him.  

IMO, once we got our fourth, Windass and one other should have been sub'd.

56mins: 4th goal 

62: Cummings on for Candeias

77: Alves on for Murphy (injury)

I don't understand why we don't make more use of the subs

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Halliday did well at LB; nothing special, but he did nothing wrong. 

Apart from his yellow card. He was caught on the wrong side of his man and hauled him down in a dangerous position. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

as a #10 I though he didn't make any good runs like Windass, or had the vision or running ability to break the lines

I think it’s unfair to draw conclusions because we don’t know how Cummings would have done in the goalscoring period of the game. He came on when the game had gone pretty flat, and then we lost Murphy. 

23 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Docherty is an absolute steal at 600k

Couldn’t agree more. What a player. And you’re right I would say Goss and Docherty are our strongest pairing. Though Dorrans has a claim ahead of Windass for me, at least at home. 

I hope Alves will work his way back to full fitness. Tbh I’d much rather him in ahead of Martin Martin is decent but he was solely at fault for the goal. He’s not good enough in the air. And Alves’s long balls are great. We saw one of them last night. Excellent technique. It will be good to see him playing in a strong Rangers side. 

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

IMO, once we got our fourth, Windass and one other should have been sub'd.

56mins: 4th goal 

62: Cummings on for Candeias

77: Alves on for Murphy (injury)

I don't understand why we don't make more use of the subs

He may as well have been: he was poor when he went out wide.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Apart from his yellow card. He was caught on the wrong side of his man and hauled him down in a dangerous position. 

I think it’s unfair to draw conclusions because we don’t know how Cummings would have done in the goalscoring period of the game. He came on when the game had gone pretty flat, and then we lost Murphy. 

Couldn’t agree more. What a player. And you’re right I would say Goss and Docherty are our strongest pairing. Though Dorrans has a claim ahead of Windass for me, at least at home. 

I hope Alves will work his way back to full fitness. Tbh I’d much rather him in ahead of Martin Martin is decent but he was solely at fault for the goal. He’s not good enough in the air. And Alves’s long balls are great. We saw one of them last night. Excellent technique. It will be good to see him playing in a strong Rangers side. 

That incident was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, for me. He was caught, but he was also tripped too -- perhaps not enough to go down, but he then can't let the boy get free.

Perhaps; I'm not ruling out further games in the #10 role for Cummings. I thought it became flat because he came on; we lost Windass' drive in the middle. Not the only reason, but it was a contributing factor.

I know you weren't quoting me but -- Dorrans could well be a good 'replacement' for Windass, but it will always be Windass as first-choice for me; you cant compare the pace, drive and movement. Dorrans is perhaps a better striker of the ball and passer. I suppose it depends on what you need. I actually forgot about Dorrans when I said we didn't have direct replacement for Windass elsewhere, but he certainly would be a good option. 

I agree completely about Martin and Alves; that's not a difficult choice! 

I actually thought we were going to go three-at-the-back when Alves came on. Alas! Martin played RB, with Tavernier pushing forward. Not sure it worked. 

The back-three would've been an interesting experiment -- especially considering or two wingers went off.

19 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I actually thought we were going to go three-at-the-back when Alves came on. Alas! Martin played RB, with Tavernier pushing forward. Not sure it worked. 

The back-three would've been an interesting experiment -- especially considering or two wingers went off.

Don't think you can take much from that,....game was done, tools were in the bag.