Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans - Rangers v Celtic Preview

A number of things were at play but for me first and foremost it's poor defending. And this was to be expected with a 4th choice centre back playing who isn't known for his defensive ability. I don't think Bates would have be so easily outmuscled for that goal.

The first was pure class from Rogic, credit to him.

The third it was Goss who let him turn inside, juvenile defending. Goss should have been removed for Holt long before then.

However as others have pointed out we have McCorie coming back who solves some of these problems either at centre back or defensive centre mid like at Parkhead. That's not to mention Jack, another centre mid who can defend a lot better.

If we don't lose that poor goal before half time I don't think we lose the game. And if we don't lose that poor 3rd goal I think we definitely go on to win.

Of course there's a gap in quality between the sides, but not so much that we shouldn't be beating them a couple of times a season anymore.

He will have to learn to make use of substitutes earlier,it was obvious that Windass was doing nothing and Morelos was having a nightmare so they should have come off at half time and Cummings for his goal-scoring ability and Miller for his experience brought on.

&) minutes onward is no use when trying to change things.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I was too annoyed to post yesterday, in some ways that defeat hurt more than the real doings we got last season. Having slept on it I'm a bit more rational about it now. 

For me experience won the day. They'd lots of it and we only had it in patches. Three Glasgow derby debutants, a very inexperienced central midfield, and a defence that showed a lot of uncertainty when put under pressure. A more experienced side would have taken control when we went 2-1 up. A more experienced side would have disrupted play with little fouls, slowed it down and kept possession, instead we allowed them to step up and dictate the match. 

Might it have been different if Jack, Dorrans, Russell and Wallace had been fit, maybe. Certainly I felt we were naive at times, particularly when they ran at us. Their first and third goals were poor to lose. They were well taken but neither player should have been given that time and space in the first place. They gifted us the first and deservedly went down to 10 men, we should have been good enough to take something from the match. 

The real test of Murty and this side now is how they react to this. They must be gutted, they'll know what a great chance they just passed up. If they can lift themselves for the next couple of games, and put this behind them quickly then they've got a chance to become the team they need to be, if this starts a slump then I'm afraid changes are needed. I hope Murty can regroup and lift them because we're not that far behind. 

Agree with this entirely.

For me, Alves was sat too deep for pretty much the whole game.  As he did last week.

Weaker teams don't have the experience and skill to exploit the space between the lines as often as Celtic do/did.

This was compounded by other basic defensive mistakes, such as letting the ball bounce for Dembele's goal, and not showing Eduoard the outside channel and forcing him to produce something really special.   

Thats not to take away from any of their finishes, which it would be churlish to deny, were very good.

In the wash up for me, its frustrating that it was our own actions that lost the game, rather than an exceptional performance from them.   We've a month to get Martin and hopefully Bates/Mccrorie fit, to look at an improved midfield combination with perhaps Dorrans/ McCrorie giving us more options to solidify against stronger midfield outfits.

We are getting closer though.   And they don't like it.  Roll on the 15th April!

Edited by stewarty