Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans - Rangers v Celtic Preview

Watch linesman Douglas Ross MP roar red card as he urges Willie Collum to send off Jozo Simunovic

Celtic star is red-carded after clashing with Alfredo Morelos.

Being a member of parliament, Douglas Ross is used to shouting at his work.

Even among the 50,000 screaming supporters at Ibrox, you might have been able to hear the linesman as Jozo Simunovic and Alfredo Morelos clashed.

If you couldn’t hear the Tory MP, you could certainly lip read.

Cameras caught assistant referee Ross urging Willie Collum to send off the Celtic defender as they were drawing 2-2 with great rivals Rangers.

Collum flashed his red – a decision that initially looked wrong as there appeared little contact. But on closer inspection, it seems Simunovic caught Colombian Morelos with a flying elbow. The call certainly sparked debate amongst both sets of supporters, although Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers refused to argue against the decision.

He said: "I can see why (referee) Willie (Collum) has given it.

"Normally, when the centre-half is coming across with the striker, he's fighting for his space, it's normally a straighter arm and there's no drama. But when he catches him with his elbow, you can see why they give it."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-linesman-douglas-ross-mp-12167832

How long until this linesman is hounded out of his job? the Record are pushing for it already with this attack on him, hope he has a glazier on speed dial!

Just now, ian1964 said:

Watch linesman Douglas Ross MP roar red card as he urges Willie Collum to send off Jozo Simunovic

Celtic star is red-carded after clashing with Alfredo Morelos.

Being a member of parliament, Douglas Ross is used to shouting at his work.

Even among the 50,000 screaming supporters at Ibrox, you might have been able to hear the linesman as Jozo Simunovic and Alfredo Morelos clashed.

If you couldn’t hear the Tory MP, you could certainly lip read.

Cameras caught assistant referee Ross urging Willie Collum to send off the Celtic defender as they were drawing 2-2 with great rivals Rangers.

Collum flashed his red – a decision that initially looked wrong as there appeared little contact. But on closer inspection, it seems Simunovic caught Colombian Morelos with a flying elbow. The call certainly sparked debate amongst both sets of supporters, although Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers refused to argue against the decision.

He said: "I can see why (referee) Willie (Collum) has given it.

"Normally, when the centre-half is coming across with the striker, he's fighting for his space, it's normally a straighter arm and there's no drama. But when he catches him with his elbow, you can see why they give it."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-linesman-douglas-ross-mp-12167832

How long until this linesman is hounded out of his job? the Record are pushing for it already with this attack on him, hope he has a glazier on speed dial!

There has certainly been a lot of discussion over Dougie Ross' handling of his MP & refereeing jobs, but in this particular instance it is completely irrelevant that he is an MP.   Nothing more that a sensational headline.

He has clearly indicated the foul by waving his flag, and is also communicating to the ref the severity of the actions - indicating that it is a sending off offense.  In this instance, he appears to have done his job perfectly.

As an assistant referee, he is supposed to tell the referee what he's seen, particularly if he thinks the referee didn't have as good a view as he did.

If he didn't, it'd be negligence.  

21 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Linesman does his job shocker!

OK but come on, the guy is a Tory MP. Surely that can't be allowed in football.

I expect Nikla to announce an end to Tories appearing in public in future.

Just now, Bill said:

OK but come on, the guy is a Tory MP. Surely that can't be allowed in football.

I expect Nikla to announce an end to Tories appearing in public in future.

Whether he's a Tory/SNP/Screaming looney MP....it's irrelevant in this case.  He's a linesman, communicating to the ref as to the correct action to be taken - nothing more.

Was Hugh Dallas ever referred to as "Windows & doors salesman Hugh Dallas show red to ....."

4 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

GERS...They had it up just before kick off then the ones in the middle couldn’t be arsed I think xD

Thanks.  I thought that it was numbers. Looked like 95 on the right. No way did the "R" look like an R. Looked more like a g now I look at my photo again.

49 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Linesman does his job shocker!

I know, it’s ridiculous. Just more in the pressure on referees to let them know that any decision for us will end up with their face and personal life plastered all over their papers and websites.

Compare this to the reaction to some of the referees not doing their job in some of the decisions against us.