Massive decision this summer

10 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Surely not. He's had no managerial experience.

4 minutes ago, rbr said:

No mate , the meeting with Jones was about Martinez joining , or if he would be prepared to join after the world cup , as far as I,m led to believe there have been 2 meetings.

Apologies; I stand corrected. 

Someone posted it was the assistant, and that made sense -- kind of -- as I really can't believe Martinez is a realistic option. 

Great if true. Even if we're making contact to enquire sounds excellent. 

8 minutes ago, rbr said:

No mate , the meeting with Jones was about Martinez joining , or if he would be prepared to join after the world cup , as far as I,m led to believe there have been 2 meetings.

If it's true, it's probably the only appointment I could be excited about.  Style of football is as important as success to me and he's one of very few managers who has a style I'd love to watch.

9 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If it's true, it's probably the only appointment I could be excited about.  Style of football is as important as success to me and he's one of very few managers who has a style I'd love to watch.

I'm astonished there's even been contact!

giphy.gif

The board cleverly shut the door on further scrutiny when they appointed Murty until the end of the season.

"Couldn't possibly discuss any other activity in this respect while Graeme Murty is still making his case to be retained in the position."

IMO this is an issue about the board, not Graeme Murty. They appointed Warburton, got it wrong. They appointed Caixinha, got it wrong. The approached McInnes, got rebuffed. They had no choice but to appoint Murty short-term, is it working out? Do you really think they will get it right in the summer?

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

The board cleverly shut the door on further scrutiny when they appointed Murty until the end of the season.

"Couldn't possibly discuss any other activity in this respect while Graeme Murty is still making his case to be retained in the position."

IMO this is an issue about the board, not Graeme Murty. They appointed Warburton, got it wrong. They appointed Caixinha, got it wrong. The approached McInnes, got rebuffed. They had no choice but to appoint Murty short-term, is it working out? Do you really think they will get it right in the summer?

Still absolutely baffles me as to why he turned it down.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

There's a bit of a difference for me now though.  When we made the 'mistakes' with previous managers, we also wasted money on their targets.  With the DoF in place I expect us still to bring in decent prospects for the club and represent an investment rather than a drain on our cash.

I was (and still am) delighted with the January transfer business and there's no doubt our team/squad is a lot stronger now.  If we bring in a new manager now, he's at least inheriting a strong, youthful team with potential.

Whether it's Murty or anyone else, I'd hope we have some degree of constraint on who they can bring to the club.  We can't allow ourselves to waste any more money on thirty somethings because I'm struggling to think of any time that has brought success to us.  Equally, we can't be bringing in players that the manager thinks they can 'save' somehow.  We can't afford that risk right now.  Furthermore, we can't risk bringing in a character that ruins the harmony in the dressing room.  We've had enough of those too.  So for me, the DoF is like our safety net.  We can afford to make mistakes with managerial appointments providing our DoF is there to control his ability to screw things up completely.

3 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Still absolutely baffles me as to why he turned it down.

I'm baffled too, but very thankful.  If ever there was a dodged bullet, he was it.  Imagine losing but also having to put up with that 'style' of play.  No thanks!

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'm baffled too, but very thankful.  If ever there was a dodged bullet, he was it.  Imagine losing but also having to put up with that 'style' of play.  No thanks!

Agreed.

I have two theories -

1. He didn't want to work under a DOF

2. His family are settled and didn't want dragged into the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

9 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

There's a bit of a difference for me now though.  When we made the 'mistakes' with previous managers, we also wasted money on their targets.  With the DoF in place I expect us still to bring in decent prospects for the club and represent an investment rather than a drain on our cash.

I was (and still am) delighted with the January transfer business and there's no doubt our team/squad is a lot stronger now.  If we bring in a new manager now, he's at least inheriting a strong, youthful team with potential.

Whether it's Murty or anyone else, I'd hope we have some degree of constraint on who they can bring to the club.  We can't allow ourselves to waste any more money on thirty somethings because I'm struggling to think of any time that has brought success to us.  Equally, we can't be bringing in players that the manager thinks they can 'save' somehow.  We can't afford that risk right now.  Furthermore, we can't risk bringing in a character that ruins the harmony in the dressing room.  We've had enough of those too.  So for me, the DoF is like our safety net.  We can afford to make mistakes with managerial appointments providing our DoF is there to control his ability to screw things up completely.

All good points.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Your Pep analogy is wrong: Pep tells them were to go and when, what position to take up, how to pass the ball etc.  

You can't tell any player how to pass a ball they either have it or not