Massive decision this summer

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Clarke is the stand-out candidate in Scotland, but I have my reservations. He also bought players that he knew personally, which is not a great model -- see Warburton and best-in-the-business McPar-whatever -- but any manager coming in rightly won't have complete control anyway. He can get the best out of players, but I have my doubts whether he can manage a dominant side, in terms of style etc.

Who's left? Has Jack Ross at St Mirren done enough? I would suggest not, as he's not got Premiership experience. Alan Archibald has done well at Partick, but he doesn't inspire much confidence. 

And what market are we shopping in?

I don't think we can attract anyone from the EPL, and perhaps some of the Championship.

Jovanovic is good, but he's doing well at Fulham and we're unlikely to be able to attract him. Lower down there is Christiansen at Leeds, or formerly, who was doing well until that collapse and won the league in Cyprus. Farke's doing ok at Norwich. 

The only foreign man mentioned would be Preud'homme, but can we get him? Is he too much of a risk? He's certainly got the track record, a solid 60% win-rate in competitive leagues and has won things in a couple of countries; and he's currently unattached.

I don't think we can attract Gio.

I really wish I knew what kind of market we're shopping in? Is it EPL, Championship? Second-tier European leagues, like Belgium? I don't know.

A name doing the rumour rounds is Roberto Martinez, just rumours!.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Martínez

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Your Pep analogy is wrong: Pep tells them were to go and when, what position to take up, how to pass the ball etc.  

I assume Murty is doing that too and the team listened to him for 60 minutes of the Celtic game, and every game since the turn of the year.  Suddenly they stop doing what they've been told and it's now Murty's fault?

Too many of our own fans are being disrespectful to him I think.  Murty is a smart guy and knows more about football than any of us will ever know.  He has enough smart people around him to know what's missing from the team, and from his own skillset.

In management there are so many other factors that can affect a performance and I expect they're working on that behind the scenes.

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I assume Murty is doing that too and the team listened to him for 60 minutes of the Celtic game, and every game since the turn of the year.  Suddenly they stop doing what they've been told and it's now Murty's fault?

Too many of our own fans are being disrespectful to him I think.  Murty is a smart guy and knows more about football than any of us will ever know.  He has enough smart people around him to know what's missing from the team, and from his own skillset.

In management there are so many other factors that can affect a performance and I expect they're working on that behind the scenes.

No. Pep's philosphy is based on Juego de Posicion: were players have specific tasks and responsibilities within a zoned pitch depending on the phase of the game. He literally instructs the players to take up a position and what they must do, and then how the others move to compensate. Up to the 18-yard box where it comes down to the player to put it in the net. Henry has talked about it; how he was yelled at for moving out of his position, despite actually scoring, because it hampered the rest of the team.

I'm not criticising Murty; he's done a good job. I agree with your sentiments regarding the Celtic game, although he take the blame too for not being able to change it. 

I'm just stating compo's Pep analogy was wrong. He is from a school of philosophy that literally instructs the players what to do and where to go. Murty doesn't utilise that philosophy. 

22 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Against Celtic, it was obvious late in the first half that there was an issue in the midfield and Goss was really struggling. He could have made the change at half time but didn't, and that led to the winner. Nothing to do with the players not doing what they've been told, but a tactical issue.

Against Killie, he decided to play Cummings up front on his own and again it was clear in the first half that it wasn't working and yet again he delayed making the change, and thus making us easier to play against.

I'm sure Murty does know more about football than me, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't make mistakes that I, and many others, can see.

37 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think it's him, but his assistant. Graeme Jones. 

We're not getting Martinez; he's only just started with Belgium and he's out of our league.

Surely not. He's had no managerial experience.

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I agree. He has nearly been appointed Swansea and Wigan manager, I think. He's well regarded though, and working with Martinez for so long has to have been good for him. But yes, no experience as a manager.

I can't see Martinez being a realistic option.

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

No mate , the meeting with Jones was about Martinez joining , or if he would be prepared to join after the world cup , as far as I,m led to believe there have been 2 meetings.

9 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Against Celtic, it was obvious late in the first half that there was an issue in the midfield and Goss was really struggling. He could have made the change at half time but didn't, and that led to the winner. Nothing to do with the players not doing what they've been told, but a tactical issue.

We will definitely have to agree to disagree on this one.  I too think he should have made changes (albeit Holt for Windass, not Goss), but the team stopped playing when Celtic went down to ten men.  I think there are plenty of lessons to learn for Murty, but the team let him down in that game, and it spoiled the momentum we had.  The team seems to have escaped the criticism as almost, if not all of it, has been aimed at him.  In many ways he'll be happy at that because he's a good man manager, but a shame on his reputation that so many fans think that way about him.