Massive decision this summer

5 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Agreed.

I have two theories -

1. He didn't want to work under a DOF

2. His family are settled and didn't want dragged into the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

You don't turn down Rangers when you're an ex-player and managing a provincial club, it just doesn't happen. Unless there's a sub-plot we're unaware of.

Just now, Waltersgotstyle said:

Hence my two theories.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough ... I meant there had to be more to it than that and I suspect it was basically a matter of trust/confidence in the board delivering what they were offering in terms of resources. The one thing you know coming to manage Rangers is that you won't be there long unless you deliver and, as we've seen recently, you can't deliver without the right players on the park. Whereas at Aberdeen he already has the resources the club is able to provide but without anything like the expectation at Ibrox. McInnes might not be the choice of some fans, and who knows how he would have performed, but he's not turning us down for inconveniences. Just my opinion anyway.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough ... I meant there had to be more to it than that and I suspect it was basically a matter of trust/confidence in the board delivering what they were offering in terms of resources. The one thing you know coming to manage Rangers is that you won't be there long unless you deliver and, as we've seen recently, you can't deliver without the right players on the park. Whereas at Aberdeen he already has the resources the club is able to provide but without anything like the expectation at Ibrox. McInnes might not be the choice of some fans, and who knows how he would have performed, but he's not turning us down for inconveniences. Just my opinion anyway.

That is just media fueled speculation mate.

IMO the Rangers board have disproved that idea already with their business in January and the fact that they rebuffed offers for Morelos.

Just now, Bill said:

I can understand you thinking there is something more to it than that, but I think the simplest explanations are always always the correct ones.  I think a lot of managers are put off with a DoF in place.  I was luke warm at best about the prospect of a DoF at the club, but I think we've seen there is value in it if we get the right person.  Mark Allen seems to be doing a decent job so far, but it's still early days.  If the only thing he does for us is keeps people like McInnes from the door then I think it was worth it for that alone.

1 hour ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Agreed.

I have two theories -

1. He didn't want to work under a DOF

2. His family are settled and didn't want dragged into the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

Was it not just because we had fannyed around for so long after making initial contact and made it appear that we weren't actually that keen on him?

59 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

That is just media fueled speculation mate.

IMO the Rangers board have disproved that idea already with their business in January and the fact that they rebuffed offers for Morelos.

No, it's my speculation.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

No, it's my speculation.

What I’ve heard from a very good media source is he was ready to sign but King told him at the last minute he was going to reconsider the compensation deal with the sheep. McInnes has a good relationship with Milne and didn’t want to be part of it. 

1 hour ago, compo said:

You can't tell any player how to pass a ball they either have it or not 

I think confidence plays a big roll in that too. Look at Tennis. One game they are smashing everything into the corners and then the next everything is 2 inches out depending on who they are playing.