Massive decision this summer

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Do you really think it is a done deal.  I would have thought his position is dependent on how we fare in the cup and obtaining second in the league and the availability of realistic candidates in the Summer.

The discussion on this board when Pedro left did not seem to suggest that there was overwhelming support for any candidate.  I also don't recall Clarke as being someone pushed forward at the time when Pedro left.  Now, of course, it has changed because he is successful with Kilmarnock; we are a bit fickle.

In another post (not you FS) it was suggested that Rodgers out-thought Murty.  Unfortunately, the following week he (Rodgers) did not seem to be able to ring the changes to break down 10 man Motherwell.  Perhaps the tactical genius was out-thought by Robinson.  Maybe, on the basis of this we should support the appointment of Robinson.

I'm not for one second advocating Clarke and never have, though I concede that he's done an amazing job at Kilmarnock that's clear for anyone to see.

Perhaps I'm missing something but seriously what has Murty done to justify people thinking he should be our permanent manager?

9 hours ago, forlanssister said:

We are purely an emotional investment we have nothing to offer potential investors anything other than an emotional return, outside investors will like Close Brothers demand their pound of flesh.

When your business plan relies upon qualifying for the Europa League group stages sustainability ain't coming along any time soon.

Murty has done nothing to justify being offered the position permanently and he won't be.

If Murty wins the cup, the job will be his.  If we finish outside the top two he won't get it.  Anything in between is still a grey area and will then depend on what other candidates are out there.  There are none who I can be excited about, but similar to any young player I'm looking for Murty to demonstrate potential and growth.  For me he has done so I'd stick with him unless an outstanding candidate appears.

18 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Thankful for what we’ve got? A rookie manager who has lost every time we could put pressure on celtic?

The manager seems to be taking all the stick for that.  What about the team?

I really don't think Murty is getting the job anyway. 

To get it he would need to do a remarkable job: giving Celtic a good, close run AND win the Cup, which was and is unlikely. 

He's done a good job, but he's not good enough. I'm not criticising the guy per se, it's just that he's been thrown in to do a job without any experience. 

Murty is getting stick for failure from the board down to the players no matter who the manager is it could be Pep once they enter the field of battle it's their duty to play well and win the game , some fans are advocating Clarke for the job Lillie will want plenty in compensation and I don't blame them but that would mean a new manager would be operating with a reduced budget it's a vicious circle that means in my eyes failure and aiding and abetting the ******s to unbridled success. 

Clarke is the stand-out candidate in Scotland, but I have my reservations. He also bought players that he knew personally, which is not a great model -- see Warburton and best-in-the-business McPar-whatever -- but any manager coming in rightly won't have complete control anyway. He can get the best out of players, but I have my doubts whether he can manage a dominant side, in terms of style etc.

Who's left? Has Jack Ross at St Mirren done enough? I would suggest not, as he's not got Premiership experience. Alan Archibald has done well at Partick, but he doesn't inspire much confidence. 

And what market are we shopping in?

I don't think we can attract anyone from the EPL, and perhaps some of the Championship.

Jovanovic is good, but he's doing well at Fulham and we're unlikely to be able to attract him. Lower down there is Christiansen at Leeds, or formerly, who was doing well until that collapse and won the league in Cyprus. Farke's doing ok at Norwich. 

The only foreign man mentioned would be Preud'homme, but can we get him? Is he too much of a risk? He's certainly got the track record, a solid 60% win-rate in competitive leagues and has won things in a couple of countries; and he's currently unattached.

I don't think we can attract Gio.

I really wish I knew what kind of market we're shopping in? Is it EPL, Championship? Second-tier European leagues, like Belgium? I don't know.

8 minutes ago, compo said:

Murty is getting stick for failure from the board down to the players no matter who the manager is it could be Pep once they enter the field of battle it's their duty to play well and win the game , some fans are advocating Clarke for the job Lillie will want plenty in compensation and I don't blame them but that would mean a new manager would be operating with a reduced budget it's a vicious circle that means in my eyes failure and aiding and abetting the ******s to unbridled success. 

Your Pep analogy is wrong: Pep tells them were to go and when, what position to take up, how to pass the ball etc.